Yay, Great My Oven Just Kicked The Bucket!!!!!!

Decorating By kden3980 Updated 24 Nov 2008 , 5:39am by Mac

kden3980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kden3980 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 10

Okay so I am so totally upset right now, my oven just went on the fritz!!! I have an electric oven and the top coil is working and the range, but the bottom elemt/coil is ice cold icon_cry.gif I dont know which would be better try to get the element fixed or to get a new oven icon_cry.gif I am so stressed right know!!! ugh I have a cake due next week, and thanksgiving cookies to do, looks like I will be doing some baking at my mothers icon_sad.gif Anyone else had this happen to them? icon_cry.gif Sorry just wanted to vent!!!!! Thanks for listening!

9 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 10

My element went out about 2 yrs ago. It actually sparked and stopped working mid-baking on a 1/2 sheet cake one evening. We replaced the element in the bottom and it has worked fine ever since. I have a plain-Jane GE that came in our house...nothing fancy. It is all electric like yours. That's probably what I'd do because I couldn't afford to replace it right now anyway. If you could afford to replace and upgrade, great!

kden3980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kden3980 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks so much! Yeah just finding a person to come here (I live in a small town) to do the repair is a royal pain, thanks for the info!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 10

In the last two days...

one of my freezers died overnight.... everything was thawed and most things had to be tossed

our loyal (20-year old) car finally died.

my favorite cute purple monkey soap dispenser broke

On the other hand,

my chest freezer was more than 10 years old and now I can buy a new, upright freezer

we've been saving for a new car for two years. The auto industry is in such bad shape that I anticipate getting a really good deal on a brand-new car. We're paying the whole thing in one go, so no car payments

the soap dispenser was 11 years old.

mommaroxy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommaroxy Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 10

I have had several bottom heating elements die out on me. When we were renters, you get whatever the landlord has in there and its usually an older model. Its a pain! It was always in the middle of baking something that Id realize it was out. Top would be nice and done, but the bottom barely. If you get it fixed it should last awhile, but if its close in cost to fix vs get a new....Id go with a new one. (But we always ended up having it fixed, so probably quite a bit cheaper) I was told that if you have recently cleaned the oven you could have loosened the element, might wanna check that? Good luck!

~Roxanne

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 10

Yeah! A new freezer AND a new car!

My condolences on the purple monkey icon_cry.gif

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 1:00am
post #7 of 10

Our first oven was already about 15 years old when we got it so we had to replace the drip bowls, and all the coils but the top one in the oven.....all of which we bought at Lowes and replaced ourselves.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 1:05am
post #8 of 10

kden3980, I have actually replaced the heating element myself on my oven. Just google an electric range parts supplier in your area or order one on line to match your oven. It is simple to replace, pull out the oven from the wall, unscrew the back panel and unscrew the screws on the element and pop in the new one. It took me all of 15 minutes to replace and the element was $45.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 4:13am
post #9 of 10

ditto to the pp... do NOT pay someone to do this for you!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 5:39am
post #10 of 10

Oh, man--it is so easy to replace a coil. Mine went out twice--yep, bottom coil. The first time, I ordered the part and waited 4 days. Pulled the old one out and put the new one in. 2 years later, did it again. I found an appliance part store here in town that had lots of different parts in stock so I was able to change it out that day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%