Gany Great Fondant Recipes?

Decorating By THECAKEPLACE Updated 30 Nov 2008 , 11:05pm by kandu001

THECAKEPLACE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THECAKEPLACE Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 12

I HAVE MADE A FEW FONDANT CAKE, THEY ALL CAME OUT OK (EXCEPT I COULD NOT GET THE ROUND SIDE TO LOOK RIGHT.) THE ONLY COMPLAINT I GOT ( FROM FFRIENDS AND FAMILY) WAS THAT THE FONDANT (WILTON FONDANT) WAS GROSS. EVERY ONE THOUGHT THE TEXTURE WAS LIKE BUBBLEGUM. DOES ANY ONE HAVE A FONDANT RECIPE THAT WILL TASTE GOOD BUT, IS IS WORKABLE LIKE WILTONS FONDANT. icon_smile.gif

11 replies
bfelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bfelt Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 12

I agree with your family and friends, the Wilton fondant is gross and difficult to work with. It dries too quickly. I use the Marshmallow fondant recipe posted here on Cake Central. You can click on recipes and do a search. It taste much better and is easier to work with.

Becky

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 2:08am
post #3 of 12

I make white chocolate fondant and everyone LOVES it! I have friends and family that want to just rip a chunk off of the fondant ball and eat it by itself!! Here's a link to the recipe:

http://ashleescooking.blogspot.com/2008/06/how-to-makecolorcut-fondant.html

Good Luck and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask me!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 2:14am
post #4 of 12

There are many recipes on this site for fondant and MMF (marshmallow fondant). Any of them would be better than the wilton.
Just be aware that the texture *is* going to be like bubblegum! That is the nature of fondant. You maybe didn't roll it thin enough. It should be about 1/4" thick which is the thickness of an average cake circle.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 3:09am
post #5 of 12

Wilton is pretty bad tasting! I have tried both MMF and MFF (Michele Foster's Fondant) both recipes can be found here. I personally prefer the taste to Michele's and they are both really easy to make. Maybe you could try a smaller batch of each and see if you like either of them. Also I have bought Satin Ice (still have to try it though) as there has been quite a few positive feedback from the folks here.

Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 3:11am
post #6 of 12

Kandu001,

When you are talking about the pound of white chocolate, or you talking about the little circles that they sell at Hobby Lobby and Michaels in the different colors or the almond bark?

Sorry if this is silly question.

Vicki

kandu001 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 12

Not silly at all Vicki! Yep, it's just the white chocolate candy melt circles found at the craft store. They usually sell them in one pound bags, so just one bag per recipe.

VS8894 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks I'm going to give it a try. What do you use on your mat, crisco, corn starch or powdered sugar?

I also want to try the heavy duty vinyl for the fondant mat.

Vicki

VS8894 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 6:21pm
post #9 of 12

I thought of one more question, how long will it last. I was wanting to make some poinsettias ahead of time, thought I would try your fondant to make them, will they keep 2-3 weeks?

I wouldn't worry about it, but I know my kids like fondant and I wouldn't want anyone to try it and get sick.

Thanks for all the help.

Vicki

THECAKEPLACE Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 8:31pm
post #10 of 12

THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE! SORRY IT TOOK ME SO LONG TO LOG BACK ON (HOLIDAYS) MERRY CHRISTMAS

THECAKEPLACE Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 8:33pm
post #11 of 12

OH YEAH THE TITLE IS SUPPOSE TO BE ANY NOT GANY SORRY (HA-HA-HA) MY BAD

kandu001 Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 11:05pm
post #12 of 12

Vicki,
I have a vinyl mat, but I actually prefer to use parchment or freezer paper. I use a combo of corn starch and powdered sugar, but no crisco to dust my mat with.
The fondant should keep for a month if you store it well. Mine never stays around that long, though!

Let me know how you like (well...love) it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%