Cookie First-Timer

Baking By lkoenig07 Updated 19 Nov 2008 , 11:16pm by yankeegal

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, so I want to try a cookie bouquet. I've never done cookies before (except for Xmas cookies a few years ago).... but I mean with the RI & everything. I'm making the cookie bouquet to bring to my bank. I have a few questions...

1) Where do most of you buy the tins/pots/etc. to hold your cookie bouquets? And do you have a piece of styrofoam or something inside to stick the sticks into?
2) What about the plastic that goes over the cookies... can you get those at JoAnn's or Michael's?
3) How many cookies is too many to put in a bouquet? How many does the average bouquet have?

Thanks!!! icon_razz.gif

7 replies
TASHA22284 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TASHA22284 Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 8

Okay, You can buy a pot or tin they go in anywhere pretty much. Look in floral sections or garden sections or holiday sections. Anywhere you see some kind of tin or pot that suits your fancy. The next thing is yes you usually have styrofoam (sp) in the bottom to stick the sticks in. Some people pipe green royal Icing with tip one in swirls to cover the foam... some poeple use tissue paper to cover it. Either way to make it look pretty you want to stick something in there. The next question about how many cookies to put in usually depends on the size of the container its in and how many people you need to serve. You don't want it over crowded but you also don't want it to empty. Hope that helps. And Good Luck, remember to post pics!

TASHA22284 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TASHA22284 Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 8

oh yeah... and yes you can get the plastic covers at Michael's and Joann's. They are just clear wrappers, they usually come in a couple different sizes with twistie ties.

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 8

I use the green foam that is used in silk flower arrangements! I find that it is more cost effective and easier to use. I wrap it in saran and then in tissue paper prior to arranging my cookies.

HTH

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 8

You can use simple fold top baggies to cover individual cookies. I cut the part that is folded over, so that it lays flat. The plastic is thinner than with the bags sold specifically for treats, in case that matters.

Dollar stores are great for finding containers, and always check places like Target and WalMart for clearance items. Coffee cups make great containers, and you can pick those up pretty cheap if you keep your eyes peeled for them. Michael's usually has a good selection for seasonal themed cups.

mccakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccakegal Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 8

Does anyone else have trouble with arrangements tipping over?

I always have to weight the container down or make sure that it is a heavier container to start with.

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 10:59pm
post #7 of 8

I always fill my container half full with dried beans and then cut styrofoam to fit . I use colorful shredded paper to hide the styrofoam. The beans help weigh down the arrangement do that it does not tip over. Hope this helps

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 11:16pm
post #8 of 8

You can use aquarium gravel in the botttom of the container as well. I think the key to a cookie arrangement is to place the cookies so they are evenly weighted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%