Not A Good Day!

Lounge By Melvira Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 4:03am by AlamoSweets

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 3:22am
post #1 of 61

Well, Friday we hit the road to head to St. Louis for DH's aunt's estate sale, half way there WHAM! We got T-boned and totaled our van. The kids were in the back seat, DH was driving. THANK GOD no one was seriously hurt. The kids were scared silly of course (as was I) but the fact that I could hear them crying was good. We were rolled, landed on the passenger side. A bunch of people stopped immediately and got the back gate open and got the kids out first and then cut my belt and I crawled out the back, then DH. What a horrible, horrible feeling! I just held my babies and tried not to cry. I was so relieved that they were not hurt, but just the thought of what could've happened made me sick to my stomach. No one in the other car was hurt either, we all walked away. Anyway, DH's step dad came up and picked us up so that we could be here this weekend for the sale, then we are heading home tomorrow and get the joy of sorting out the insurance, looking for a new vehicle, etc. But, all of that is less troublesome knowing that we are all healthy!

Just wanted to let all my cake pals know, and tell the cake aunties that the babies are fine!!

60 replies
CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 3:46am
post #2 of 61

Mel.... Thank God you are all ok... I know how scared you must have been.. Hold those babies and dh close.. everything that is important is still with you.... ((((hugs))))

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 3:49am
post #3 of 61

icon_surprised.gif OMG!! How scary! I'm SO glad to hear y'all are unhurt!!!!

I worry about this every time my babies are in the car, especially when they're not with me.

staten93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staten93 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 3:51am
post #4 of 61

How scary for all of you. I am so glad to you all made it out safely. Accidents like that certainly put life in perspective. I am sure you held your kids tight and have many times since.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 3:53am
post #5 of 61

OMG mel!!!I am so glad to you all made it out safely. Lots of extra huggs and kisses for those boys !

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 3:56am
post #6 of 61

Thank God you guys are alright..that is so scary! (((Hugs)))

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 3:57am
post #7 of 61

Thank God you all are ok, even the other people. so super scary icon_eek.gif . sorry that happened melvira icon_sad.gif . scary. be well! icon_smile.gif

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 3:58am
post #8 of 61

OMG! Thank god you're all ok. I know exactly what you're feeling. I had a little tear in my eye thinking back to when I got rear ended two years ago with my little ones in the back. My first thought was my kids, I was shaking so bad I could barely pick them up out of their seats, but seconds earlier I was strong enough to pry the back door open to make sure they were ok! icon_biggrin.gif I just sat on the side of the road with them on my lap and tried not to cry. Hopefully the insurance company gets everything squared away quickly for you.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 4:14am
post #9 of 61

Oh my goodness, I can only imagine how terrified you were, but how relieved when you heard the sound of your babies crying. You are truly lucky to be alive. I am so so glad you all are okay!!!!! So sorry that now you have to deal with insurance companies. I remember an accident I got into (wasn't as bad) I was on the phone for a week back and forth with the insurance. Well, good luck finding a new car! Glad your okay.

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 4:19am
post #10 of 61

Melvira --
I am so very glad you are all safe -- I cannot even imagine how terrified you guys must have felt!! I am glad that people stopped to help you and got everyone out. Huge hugs from here in Co! Your kiddos are about the same age as mine (but I have 2 girls).
Take Care
Sarah

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 4:20am
post #11 of 61

Oh Mel, thank god you and the kids & hubby are okay! How scary. Ive been t-boned but not flipped, and I'd have been hysterical. Give the boys some hugs from his cake aunties, I'm glad someone up there was watching out for you & your family. Vehicles can be replaced, kids & mommys & daddys cannot.
Hugs to you also.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 4:51am
post #12 of 61

It's good to hear no one was injured but you will be very sore for days to come....it will start latericon_sad.gif
Prayers that God will lead you to a new vehicle w/little, if any problems or 'hitches'.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 4:57am
post #13 of 61

Thank the good Lord you are ok! How very scary for everyone! I am glad y'all are all ok.

pamama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamama Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 5:20am
post #14 of 61

Mel- so glad you and your family are ok. You sound so strong- there is no way I would have not been crying! Good luck with the insurance, finding a new car, etc... Hope you aren't too sore!

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 6:06am
post #15 of 61

{{{{Hugs}}}} for you and the family Mel. Glad to hear that everyone's ok. Good luck with the insurance and looking for a new van.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 8:07am
post #16 of 61

Like everyone else, I am so glad none of you were hurt, you truly had someone watching over you!

Take care of yourselves, you will all be pretty sore and stiff for a while after being tossed around like that. Hugs for you all!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 8:16am
post #17 of 61

I am glad everyone is okay!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 8:21am
post #18 of 61

I am so glad you are all ok! That being said, as a retired ER nurse, I need you to know that you are probably going to be very, very sore, getting progressively worse over the next several days. Even if you are "fine" now, your body has been through a big tumble. Be sure and see your MD if you have severe pain, especially in neck or back. You and your husband will probably be more sore than the kids. They have youth and quick recovery on their sides. Take it easy for the next several days. Use ice on the sore spots over the next 2 days, and heat after that. And rest rest rest! Your body does its best repair work when you are asleep.

People often came to the ER after a wreck, saying they were fine but needed to be checked to satisfy their insurance coverage. They'd feel fine then and have no problems. The next few days we'd hear from them or they'd come back with stiffness and soreness and bruises that appeared days later. One lady had a bruise over her entire chest, in the shape of the steering wheel.

Just information tho, you may be fortunate/blessed have no problems at all. God was surely looking out for everyone in both cars!

Good Luck with the insurance and the search for a new car!

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 10:04am
post #19 of 61

OMG icon_eek.gif So terrifying! Glad you are all ok, personally I'd go get all of you checked out by a chiropractor esp the babies, the worst of the impact often shows itself way after the event and takes longer to heal because it has been left. (((((((HUGS))))))))) to you all!

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 1:34pm
post #20 of 61

So sorry you had to go through that Mel! How awful and scary but so glad you're all OK. Good idea to go get checked out by the doctor. Thank the Lord you are all OK!

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 2:15pm
post #21 of 61

I'm sorry this happened to your family! But glad no one was hurt ... hopefully the insurance works itself out in no time ...

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 3:36pm
post #22 of 61

OMG, Mel!! I'm so glad everyone is ok... hugs to your family!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 3:57pm
post #23 of 61

Thank you all so much for your prayers, kind words, and great advice. I am sore as heck, and knew I would be! The babies are fine, not a care in the world, but they may be a little distracted by the pile of 'guilt gifts' I bought yesterday! icon_redface.gif I couldn't help it... I felt so bad... I just had to get them something. icon_rolleyes.gif I kept it under control though, believe me, I'd have happily spent a fortune, but knew that wouldn't actually help anything.

Anyway, DH says he's not really sore, but I sure am. I am more susceptible to the whiplas type injuries because of an old injury I have. So, yes, I feel like poo. I'm sure it will be fine after a few days, but I won't be shy about seeing the doc as needed.

We are heading home today through a 'relay'... DH's step dad will take us back to the 'scene' (well, the city of the accident) where we will be able to get everything out of the van, (you know, the stuff in the glove bax, etc.) then a good friend of mine will pick us up there and take us the rest of the way home. We are blessed to have friends and family that are willing to help us out!

I'll write later and let you know how things are progressing. All of you take care of yourselves, and I'll give the babies kisses from all his favorite cake aunties!! thumbs_up.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 4:12pm
post #24 of 61

Thankfully everyone is safe. Now get to a DR as soon as you can. You will start to feel it, if you don't already. Wish you the best.

Mike

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 5:34pm
post #25 of 61

Oh my Mel! Glad y'all came through well after all the rolling and pitchin'! God was with you, that's for sure!

I'm with Sugarfrosted- get to the Dr. to get checked out when you get home. And get some rest- don't worry about things! That doesn't help.

You are lucky to have friends and family that have your back!

You have our prayers for safe travel back home and smooth transition with healing and the car stuff.

CaribbeanCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CaribbeanCakes Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 6:15pm
post #26 of 61

For so many months I've been reading and reading and almost never write something, I know all of you my "cake friends" just by reading your posts and feel like a big family here; sharing experiences, laughing and sometimes with tears in my eyes reading sad things. I feel I know you as if you all were my very good old friends.

So sorry for what you and your family went through, I'm glad you are alll OK... Have a safe trip back home..
Give hugs and kisses to your babies and a big one for you too!!!
Take Care,
Mari

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 6:22pm
post #27 of 61

icon_eek.gif WOW! I am so sorry for all you and your kids. Wow. My DS same thing happened to her w/her babe in the car seat. She ended up w/a broken back. I am so srry, Mel this is not good. Lots of prayers in your healing process.

What happened to the other vehicle? Were they okay too? Wow, they must've been flying low to push your heavy van over to the side. Man-oh-man!

Sending band-aids and pain relievers your way! And lots cyber toys to keep kiddos occupied while mom recovers! icon_biggrin.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 6:57pm
post #28 of 61

Image Gentle but heartfelt hugs to you all... So very glad there were no serious injuries.

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 7:16pm
post #29 of 61

Mel, im sorry this happened but im glad you guys are all ok! I hope you have a safe drive home,let us know.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 10:55pm
post #30 of 61

I'm so sorry to hear that mel. Thank God you and your family is ok. I pray that God will protect you on the way home. Get lots of rest and take it easy. Make sure to hug those babies tight.

Karema

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%