Airy Frosting

Baking By christinashea Updated 16 Nov 2008 , 8:58pm by kakeladi

christinashea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christinashea Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 12:22am
post #1 of 13

help! I am using a new buttercream recipe that uses half butter and half crisco. My problem is that it seems to have air pockets and it makes it very hard to smooth. What can I do to prevent this? Am I beating it too long?

12 replies
reneeferguson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reneeferguson Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 12:56am
post #2 of 13

i've been wondering the same thing. thanks for asking.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 1:02am
post #3 of 13

How long did you beat it? JUst enough to mix it or a nice long (5-10 minutes) slow mix? HOw long from the time you made it are you using it? Right away or after it sat for an hour or longer? Was the batch big enough to cover the beaters?
Have you reviewed SugarShack's DVD of utube on how to ice cakes? Also serious cakes also has a video on icing b'cream cakes (I think on Utube).

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 3:29am
post #4 of 13

Here you go thumbs_up.gif

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 3:32am
post #5 of 13

I use a recipe using half hi-ratio shortening and half butter, and I make it the sugarshack way. The trick is to fill up the bowl so the ingredients come to the top of your mixing paddle so you get volume with no air bubbles. Cream your butter and shortening until smooth, add your milk and flavoring, then add the p.s. Once it's all incorporated mix on medium speed for 6-8 minutes. BEAUTIFUL!

christinashea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christinashea Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 3:42am
post #6 of 13

I creamed the butter and crisco for 6 minutes. Then I added the rest of the ingredients and used the frosting right away. I have a kitchenaid and I used the paddle and I don't think it covered it all the way. I halfed the recipe since I was practicing on a small cake. Also I beat it on a low speed. I'm going to check out the you told me about. Thanks for the help.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 4:17am
post #7 of 13

yep, you gotaa fill up that bowl! check out my youtube link!

need2sleep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
need2sleep Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 4:42am
post #8 of 13

SugarShack - I just watched a couple of your youtube videos, your funny!!

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 5:02am
post #9 of 13

SugarShack, i have to ask what is the music in the backgound? I really like it.

I must be missing something on my icing because I still can't get it that smooth. I use your mix with less high ratio and replace with butter. I have a 20 qt bowl and it still comes out fluffy. Better than my orginal mix but still not creamy. Is it possible that the slowest speen on my hobart is too fast adn beating in to much air or am I not mixing it enough?

Help me icing master, for my icing is not worthy!!!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 6:53am
post #10 of 13

The music in those clips is the music used on each corresponding DVD, thanks!

I have no epxerience with a 20 uqart mixer but my guess is you need more volume in there.

the speed does not make that much of a difference when i fill by bowl FULL. in fact, i go fast to get less air.

HTH

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 1:55pm
post #11 of 13

You know what works??...just stir the BC with a rubber spatula before you use it. I find the BC always gets bubbles when it sits for a while...

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 2:13pm
post #12 of 13

This thread is sooooo helpful! Thanks to all for sharing. icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 8:58pm
post #13 of 13

........I have a 20 qt bowl and it still comes out fluffy. Better than my orginal mix but still not creamy. Is it possible that the slowest speen on my hobart is too fast adn beating in to much air or am I not mixing it enough?........ have no epxerience with a 20 uqart mixer but my guess is you need more volume in there.....

I had a 60 qt Hobart and had the same problem....you probably don't need more volume in there but what I ended up doing was making it in the big mixer, then when I wanted to use it put it in a 4.5 qt KA to mix up to10 minutes.....worked like a charm. I also had a 5qt commercial KA; it never did make good b'cream no matter what I triedicon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%