Cake Layers, Question

Decorating By brink317 Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 4:15pm by msulli10

brink317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brink317 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,
How many 2" layers can I layer upon each other before the bottom layer will no longer hold? I usually layer 2 - 2" cakes for my regular cakes, but this time I need one side of my cake to have 3 - 2" layers (6+ inches tall). Do I have to have any extra support to ensure that the bottom 2" layer wont crumble? Maybe treat the top layer as a seperate cake with its own board and dowels under to support it? Thoughts, insight please. Thanks a bunch!

4 replies
Tisha___ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tisha___ Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 5

I'm making my first layer cake this weekend, so I'd like to know the answer to this one too.

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 5

You usually want to have support for every 4" of cake, so I would place a cake board under the top layer and also dowel for support. I would just make the board just a little shorter than the actual cake so it doesn't show through the cake design. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

dlinnane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlinnane Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 5

The Cake Bible (Rose Levy Beranbaum) suggests using plastic drinking straws instead of dowels. I have done this for wedding cakes and it works very well, and now I use it for everything over three layers. The hollow straw also doesn't compact the surrounding cake, and spaced every 2 -3 inches, holds a cake board very well. It's a lot simpler, easier, and cheaper than using dowels, so you might want to consider trying it.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 5

The plastic straws work great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%