Having An Icing Identity Crisis! I Need Frosting Therapy :-(

Decorating By CakeDiva73 Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 4:08pm by caryl

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:53am
post #1 of 11

Ok, here's the deal.....I made my own frosting for years. A basic combo of crisco & butter & I added whipping cream and it tasted great but handled terribly. It never smoothed nicely or crusted so I went in search of the holy grail of cake icing.

I have tried every icing you can think of... Sugarshack, IndyDeb, Italian BC, Swiss BC, Whipped...... I am going to SCREAM!!!!

If I hear one more flippin' person tell me my icing is 'too sweet' I am going to cry out loud. It's icing, therefore; by definition, a mixture of butter/fat & sugar... how is this NOT supposed to be sweet??

Does it sound like I'm yelling? If so, I am sorry - I am not yelling at any of you but rather at the people who insist on telling my my icing is too sweet and why can't I use whipped cream???

Oh, by the way, they want it to look like fondant with a porcelein smoothness & have 3D roses, possibly airbrushed and definitely handpainted........... whipping cream. ARE U KIDDING ME??????

I am losing my mind.

Please, someone come and tell me what to do. Do I choose one and call it a day and tell them they can't have decorated whipping cream? Do I offer icing tastings like they do with filling? Do I continue my search for the perfect, smooth & crusting icing that isn't 'too sweet'? Do I slice my wrists with my offset spatula?

I am at a loss - any advice is appreciated.

10 replies
Pastelitoz4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastelitoz4u Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 6:22am
post #2 of 11

Oh I hear you. I mean, I don't have very long decorating cakes, but my family thinks my frosting is too sweet. And I have the feeling I am heading your way. I don't think you should do a taste testing on your frosting, that would be way to much work for you. I hope you find one that you like and go with that one.....I know you can't please everybody's taste, soooooo use the one you like the most and make it your preferred choice. icon_smile.gif

cakelass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelass Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 6:51am
post #3 of 11

I had the same problem. One person likes the other person hates etc. etc... Well I have chosen my recipes and stuck to them. If you like you come back if not well bad luck. Don't be hard on yourself I was and I am so over it. For example my dad always says my icing is sweet, so now he takes it off. Simple problem solved! Icing is meant to be sweet.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 6:53am
post #4 of 11

I always just smile and say, "well it is about 90% sugar, so I guess it might taste a little sweet." Sometimes you can use salted butter or add salt and it will actually cut down the sweetness some.

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 7:07am
post #5 of 11

hi cake diva, i am not an expert, but maybe cutting back on the flavorings and seeing if it makes a difference. i say that cuz one time i got my flavorings mixed up and i accidently put less than i usually do and my parents loved it and my mother is very picky and can't stand icing cuz to her its always too sweet and she even liked it and said it wasn't sweet like my other icings. so i don't know, but all i did different was that. have a great nite or day!! icon_biggrin.gif

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 7:09am
post #6 of 11

I can totally relate! I have heard that so many times. No one liked MMF or other fondant, BC always get "it's so sweet", IMBC/SMBC too buttery... It is maddening! So last time I did Pastry Pride which BTW is what bakeries use for "whipped cream" on cakes in Brooklyn. Don't you know one person told me it was rich and sweet!!!! I get so upset when I see someone disect my cake. Cut off the icing immediately and pick around here and there and most goes in the trash. I think maybe it is egotistical to be upset at how much goes in the trash. But I try so hard to find something that most will like. Is that egotistical? I know my cakes are good...seriously. I know when they are dry or whatever. I know each icing or topping has it's own thing and none are perfect for all. This has been very upsetting to me....

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 11:02am
post #7 of 11

If you like your frosting stick with it, if you don't find one you like and stick with it. I also agree with Angelatx, cut down on the flavoring you use, I know some recipes use a lot way too much for me.

Good luck!!

Kat

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:51pm
post #8 of 11

I add a tablespoon of cognac to mu buttercream icing to help cut the sweetness. Before investing in a large bottle (cause it is expensive) i bought a little sample bottle to give it a whirl.

But i do agree with everyone else, make what you are comfortable using and working with then stick with it.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:39pm
post #9 of 11

Ditto on the salt suggestion, and I also use 1/3 to 1/2 cup of flour or cornstarch per batch to cut the sweetness.
I have also heard of people combining meringue buttercreams (IMBC or SMBC) and regular buttercream for a less sweet option.

kellymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellymarie Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:40pm
post #10 of 11

Salted butter really help cut the sweetness. That's all is use, and it seems to work!

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 4:08pm
post #11 of 11

Agree with all the above! I use high ratio shortening to help counter some of the greasiness, salt and lots of flavoring (almond is my fave) to cut the sweetness. Swiss Meringue Buttercream seems to be the most popular around here. It satisfies those who want a sweet icing, yet is not too sweet for those who prefer the more buttery taste, and I love working with it! It smoothes beautifully, is easy to make- once you get the hang of it, and can be stiffened with a little xxx sugar for certain decorations (roses, etc). It is a long, frustrating journey to finding that perfect icing, but worth it once you get there! Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%