Gumpaste Help...

Decorating By SILVERCAT Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 9:47pm by SILVERCAT

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 4

I am trying to make some figures but I am having one heck of a time trying to get my round parts smooth. I have watched a video but that trick didn't help! For those that use gumpaste for figures do you tend to mix it with fondant? How do you get smooth round parts?

3 replies
SILVERCAT Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 4

Anyone??

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 4

Well, If you are taking a while to mold your figures, i would switch to a 50/50 mix of gumpaste and fondant, it will buy you more time before drying out.

Make sure to work your gumpaste until it starts getting stretchy, when you pull the paste with your hands you don't want it to snap you what stretch. Then make as smooth a ball as possible then place in the palms of your hands and roll palm to palm to get a nice smooth ball.

If your hands are really dry coat with a slight amount of crisco to keep from drawing too much moisture out of the paste.

SILVERCAT Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the help. I was thinking about mixing it. I haven't done any real figures, the closet I have gotten is the surfer cake I did. That was over a year ago and can't remember using straight gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%