Making A Boat Hull

Decorating By ahuvas Updated 24 Nov 2008 , 11:19pm by sari66

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 11:34am
post #1 of 8

Can anyone help me with shaping a boat hull? Wilton "apparently" uses the football pan in their Noah's ark cake but the actual cake looks nothing like the shape of the pan and I dont really trust myself to carve it. . Does anyone have any ideas? I don't want it to be any longer than 7 or 8 inches...
LL

7 replies
Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 11:57am
post #2 of 8

it would probably be easier to do it out of a rectangular cake.
boat hulls arent that round.

just my two cents though
good luck

buffim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buffim Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 8

I'm just working on a boat right now. I took a rectangle cake (9x13x3), then carved it. I left the back flat, and just carved a point(ish) on the front and brought the sides down (ie narrower at the bottom of the cake then the top). I'm not very good at carving either, but it worked pretty well.

I did take a large piece of paper, folded it in half and drew the front of the boat, then cut it so that both sides would match. I put it on the top of my cake and poked in some toothpicks to serve as a guide so I could get it fairly even.

Hope that helps somewhat!

ahuvas Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 11:38am
post #4 of 8

The final cake. I ended up making the hull out of cake. It wasnt too bad but Im still not much of a carver icon_smile.gif

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 12:18pm
post #5 of 8

Well done!!! Looks just like the drawing.The cake as a whole is very pretty.

ahuvas Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 12:39pm
post #6 of 8

It was my first paid cake of sorts. I volunteered to make it for their party but they gave me a $50 itunes voucher which I thought was very generous. It was a 12 inch cake and ingredients cost a ton but it made me feel good anyway icon_smile.gif

nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 12:54pm
post #7 of 8

It's adorable! Great job!

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 11:19pm
post #8 of 8

Excellent job

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%