Giving Up Cake Decorating?

Decorating By dolcebaci Updated 9 Dec 2008 , 5:51am by xstitcher

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:59am
post #31 of 48

Dolce let me tell you a story. About three years ago I was going through a tremendously difficult time and I was very depressed because of the circumstances. Cakes always cheered me up, it was a creative outlet. Anyway I applied for a job at a local bakery and the woman had the disposition of someone who was mad because a house dropped on her sister. icon_confused.gif Anyway she told me I was horrible and had no talent and to do the cake world a favor and get out of the business. And I was soooo depressed at the time I took it to heart and seriously considered this "advice." That is until I spoke with my cake teacher and she went through my pix and this other woman's website cake by cake with a critical eye and pointed out that the woman was just jealous. It took a little while for this to sink in but when it did I decided that my cake teacher was correct, I enjoy doing cakes and I love seeing happy people when then get a great cake and I have a lot of fun doing the various techniques. So the moral to the story is "don't let the weanies get you down!" icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 4:10am
post #32 of 48

Wow! If my 5 year old could even come close to what you do...my family would be millionaires and I would own Food Network!!!!

Don't sweat it honey! One out of 100 isn't bad at all! Sounds like one big complainer to me!

Chin up!

lifonahil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifonahil Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 4:56am
post #33 of 48

I looked at your photos and i think they are great. She is out of her mind. Some people not matter what you do just want something for nothing. They have buyers remorse and want some of the money they paid back. I say you gave her what she asked for and your did your part.

lifonahil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifonahil Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 4:58am
post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Dolce let me tell you a story. About three years ago I was going through a tremendously difficult time and I was very depressed because of the circumstances. Cakes always cheered me up, it was a creative outlet. Anyway I applied for a job at a local bakery and the woman had the disposition of someone who was mad because a house dropped on her sister. icon_confused.gif Anyway she told me I was horrible and had no talent and to do the cake world a favor and get out of the business. And I was soooo depressed at the time I took it to heart and seriously considered this "advice." That is until I spoke with my cake teacher and she went through my pix and this other woman's website cake by cake with a critical eye and pointed out that the woman was just jealous. It took a little while for this to sink in but when it did I decided that my cake teacher was correct, I enjoy doing cakes and I love seeing happy people when then get a great cake and I have a lot of fun doing the various techniques. So the moral to the story is "don't let the weanies get you down!" icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

I cant not believe that someone was so mean.

tastefullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastefullysweet Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 11:02am
post #35 of 48

I'd ask to return the cake for a refund. If there's no cake, there's nothing to talk about. If she wasn't happy with the cake, she should have said something at pick up.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 11:45am
post #36 of 48

You know, they make those 50 lb blocks of Sweetex for a reason... tapedshut.gif

Seriously, don't throw in the towel because of one person. There is always going to be someone you can't please. Don't give up what you love for one a-hole. There will always be a naysayer or someone who complains about dry cake or icing being too sweet (just had someone tell me that the other day), or perhaps someone who is just JEALOUS of great talent. As well they should be.

And BTW, the goal of her comments was to be hurtful, which a 50 lb block of Sweetex to the skull will fix. icon_biggrin.gif

higginspeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
higginspeg Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:57pm
post #37 of 48

Wow, my daughter's MIL does exactly the same thing!! This is another very true story...when I first met her I though...poor woman she always has such bad luck with her food...
Lately, I WON'T go anywhere if she's included!!...and my daughter thinks I'm being rude, but I don't care I won't go if she's going and I refuse to bring her to my favorite restaurant...and yes, she's always getting free dinners, coupons, discounts, etc...
Oh, and get this...she's proud of it!!!
I wonder if she is the one that order that cake from Dolcebaci...(??)

And Dolcebaci, I totally understand how you feel...I'd probably feel the same way, but let me tell you something--your cakes are not just pretty they are PIECES OF ART...and if you placed 4th on a competition of 1000 cakes doesn't that tell you something?? that lady was probably trying to get a free cake from you or a big discount...she's probably my daughter's MIL!!

Dear Rosie 2 -

The part that makes me mad is how smug my MIL's friend is about it too! If Dolcebaci is in Texas, it could be my MIL's friend as well. But, she doesn't have any kids to be an MIL on her own! icon_cool.gif

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 4:19pm
post #38 of 48

YAY!!! for dolce. some bad things come along, but always their will be more good!! be well everyone!! icon_biggrin.gif

mullett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mullett Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 4:50pm
post #39 of 48

If you email her back....advise her to "get the first 5 year old she can to do her next cake". I looked at your photos as well. You do good work. Stick with it.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 4:51pm
post #40 of 48

Dolce honey sometimes its not you, its their design.

I have had this happen before. Someone emails you a picture of bedding, or wallpaper, or they just come up with a design on their own.

While you are writing down all of the details you are thinking in your head 'OMG this is going to look like crap! These colors dont go together, the shapes are wrong, the stripes are too thin too thick, etc.' No matter how hard you try to steer them in another direction, they are adamant about what they want.

Then when they get the cake they arent happy with it. "Well Mrs. X, this is exactly what you ordered, in the EXACT colors you wanted, what dont you like about it?" Then they ramble on about this and that, and I patiently explain that just because a color looks good on bedding doesnt mean that it will look good on cake.

Dont quit! With every cake you make, you get a bit better, you learn a bit more. Imagine by the time you make your 500th cake. You will be published in magazines, and be charging $15 a serving. Hang in there.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 9:16pm
post #41 of 48

Dolce................I agree with the others with the quality of cakes that you do she's a weanie. I've yet to get a that was a bad cake, I know it's coming one day though. To show you how people are DIFFERENT my two semi complaints were, one said the frosting was too thin and one said the frosting was too thick, that was after I asked was the cake ok. Some things come down to personal preverance not to the quality of the cake. Keep baking!!!!!!!

Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 9:37pm
post #42 of 48

Only .01% of your cakes have been "Bad"?! That's a pretty good recored.

You can't please everyone all of the time.

You have to just roll with the punches and say you know what I'm going to get great feedback on my next 100 cakes!!!

Good luck and DON'T QUIT!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 11:19pm
post #43 of 48

I'm with Jayde on this one...Just today I had a bride email to complain that they weren't very happy with the wedding cake, but she said that it was because of things that were directly related to the specific design they gave me to do. Some people aren't going to be happy with whatever you do. Just don't do any more cakes for her. If she calls back to order again (and you'll be surprised that she probably will,) tell her that you don't think you'll be able to live up to her standards, and maybe Walmart has an opening in their custom cake schedule for her icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 1:39am
post #44 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifonahil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I cant not believe that someone was so mean.

Yes, come to find out she has a reputation in this town -- NOT a good one... thumbsdown.gif Even some of her customers ended up in a cake class I taught last year and (not knowing my history with this person) they said "we know of a lady who does cakes [her] and yours blow hers right out of the water!" I had to laugh because I hadn't said anything about that experience and here they came to their own conclusions. Okay, so I got a perverse pleasure out of hearing it... icon_twisted.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_razz.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 9:21pm
post #45 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by higginspeg

Dear Rosie 2 -

The part that makes me mad is how smug my MIL's friend is about it too! If Dolcebaci is in Texas, it could be my MIL's friend as well. But, she doesn't have any kids to be an MIL on her own! icon_cool.gif

Yeah, no kidding they think they're so slick!

JaLa90016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaLa90016 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 9:27pm
post #46 of 48

Please don't let that lady or anyone else steal your joy....God has blessed you with a wondeful talent. I have looked at your pictures and they are gorgeous.

Keep up the awesome work that you're are doing!!!!

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 4:48pm
post #47 of 48

What the heck is she talking about, I think she just didnt want to pay, Do you have a pic of that cake?? Your cakes are Awesome wished mine looked that good

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:51am
post #48 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

What the heck is she talking about, I think she just didnt want to pay, Do you have a pic of that cake?? Your cakes are Awesome wished mine looked that good

This is definitely all about getting some kind of refund.

When we moved here in June my son's birthday was less than 2 weeks away. By the time the moving truck showed up and I started unpacking I knew that I had no time to make a cake for him. Being new to the area I just went to the new Food Lion that is really close to us. My son choose a chocolate CCC costing $20. My husband picked it up paid $26 for it and after we got it home and the kids had their pieces did we notice that they were all white cc. I called the manager immediately and told him that we were charged more than we were quoted and that we had ordered chocolate and received white. He said if the cake was not whole all he could do was return the $6 that they overcharged my DH. I told him that I have all but 3 pieces (there were 24 in all) as we didn't notice until the kids had taken a bit of their's but no go. I still think to this day that as it was there mistake they should have refunded some of it but it was no go.

So if she ate your cake and didn't bother contacting you until 3 days later tell her sorry there's nothing you can do for her now and just move on.

BTW, your cakes look great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%