Rice Krispies Molding

Español By todolomio Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 7:22pm by MacsMom

todolomio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
todolomio Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 17

I have seen in Food Network the use of Rice Krispies with chocolate to mold figurines. Has anyone tried this method? I have seen on the forum the use of RK and Marshmellows (which makes perfect sense because of the stickiness in the marshmellow) but, just wanted to see what else is out there!

Thanks,

icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
ANASDELICES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANASDELICES Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 17

YO NO TE PUEDO AYUDAR PERO NECESITO LO M ISMO UNA RECETA PARA HACER UNA BOTA Y UNA MANO CON RICE CRISPIES,SI ALGUIEN NOS YUDA PORFA!!GRACIAS CHICAS! thumbs_up.gif

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 17

I did it using marshmallows that I melted in microwave and crushed Rice Krispies. No butter. I used it to make the branch piece in my recent cake.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 17

Hmm... I've seen in a cake contest pouring white chocolate OVER RKTs, but not mixed in with them.

I just crush my PKs, add a little more RKs than the recipe calls for, omit the butter, and put the finished product in the freezer to harden. I don't find that I have to coat them with anything before applying my fondant.

ANASDELICES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANASDELICES Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 17

THANKS GUYS ILL TRY THE MARSHMALLOWS ,HOW MUCH DID YOU MIX W/RICE C. THANKS AGAIN!!

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 17

I did what Macsmom did and it worked great. I didn't measure out the rk just used some and added a little more until I got the right consistency....so it wouldn't fall apart. I also wet my hands with water so they wouldn't stick to it and that worked well. I did my sheep cake and my pregnant lady with this method and covered them in gum paste.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 4:24pm
post #7 of 17

Same here just mm and rk. When you melt your mm start adding to rk (crushed or not) depends on you and you want it to be firm not to wobbly so you kinda have to determine the texture in your rk, but don't add butter, then you can just lay your fondany over it.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 17

Is the butter omited just so the fondant will stick, or is it a stability factor? I want to use RK's, but I'm going to frost it with buttercream. I want it to keep it's shape, but I want the kids to be able to eat it too.

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 4:36pm
post #9 of 17

hi I just made head for my Wall-e cake with RK's I added candy melts to it ,because my friend does not like marshmellows.It worked great .I added chcolate eye balling according to the amont of Rks and then let it sit for few min and then shaped it in to a ball and after it was hard I carved it.hope it helps.

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 4:37pm
post #10 of 17

i've covered my rct figure in chocolate to smooth a little bit put in the freezer and found that when i attached the mmf to it that the condensation the choc gives off from warming up to room temp makes the mmf stick to it good.

serenelui Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serenelui Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 4:41pm
post #11 of 17

Hi all.. could i ask when you melt the mm in the microwave, at what level do you microwave it and for how long? In addition, do you add the RK to the mm or the mm to the RK? Thanks! icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 4:50pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickshalfpint

Is the butter omited just so the fondant will stick, or is it a stability factor? I want to use RK's, but I'm going to frost it with buttercream. I want it to keep it's shape, but I want the kids to be able to eat it too.

It's a stability factor, especially in the summer months.

I melt my MMs for about 1 minute full power, then add the RKs.

serenelui Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serenelui Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 4:54pm
post #13 of 17

Thanks Macs Mom.. i gotta try these soon. Btw.. could i use chocolate rice krispies as well? or only the plain ones icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 5:02pm
post #14 of 17

Chocolate would be fine to use, too!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 5:12pm
post #15 of 17

What about using Marshmallow creme? Would that work as well?

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 5:14pm
post #16 of 17

I have made rice krispie treats according to the recipe (sometimes just adding a bit more rk) and covered it in fondant - but just let it harden. It looked and tasted great. Often when I am just needing a little bit for one figure or so I will just use the store bought stuff - that works well too!

MacsMom Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:22pm
post #17 of 17

...just make sure you pack it as hard as you can.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%