Licorice Straps?

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 4:51pm by Win

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 4

I have a flip-flop cake due & I was looking through some of the pics on CC. My husband had suggested using Twizzlers as the straps, however, they wouldn't match the cake colors (blue & green). So I guess my question is how do you make the fondant straps?

3 replies
Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 4

You can use a cutter and ruler. Measure to make sure they are all correct size. icon_smile.gif

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 4

also, you can also use what I used on the flower stems on my heart cake. I took green tootsie rolls and rolled them in my hands. When u roll them they actually have a pearlized effect to them. You could do 2 different colored ones and roll them together. Would be cute as flip-flop straps. Tootsie rolls come in different flavors and so are diff. colors than brown. You can get them at walmart or any candy store. Good luck!!!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 4

I'd personally recommend using gumpaste straps instead of fondant. I have a pair of flip flops in my gallery that uses the gumpaste. It stands up nicer. Fondant wants to flip-flop ('scuse the pun.) I used a pair of my flip flops for the pattern, just traced the strap and then cut it out of gumpaste and dried it over a cylinder. Also, if you want to go back to the licorice straps, Twizzlers has rainbow colored straps with blues and greens...

edited for typo.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%