%$#@*&! Cookie Press!

Baking By ladeebug Updated 9 Dec 2008 , 2:42am by Zamode

ladeebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladeebug Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:02am
post #1 of 9

Happens every year. I decide to make spritz cookies to freeze for my annual cookie/treat tins that I give as gifts. I get out my trusty Wilton Cookie Press, make the dough, color part of it green, part of it red, leave some white. I load my cookie press and, as Rocket J Squirrel would say, "that trick never works".

The dough doesn't stick to the cookie sheet and I have to pull it off the end of the press. Too much comes out, then not enough comes out. I end up throwing the dough in the trash out of frustration. I guess spritz cookies will never be a part of my repertoire.

This year, a twist, I inherited two older cookie presses from my an aunt that passed away. Guess what? It's not the Wilton Cookie Press that is the problem at all....it's me! Oh, bother. icon_cry.gif

8 replies
thefrostedcakencookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thefrostedcakencookie Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:27am
post #2 of 9

hehe, same here. ever year i curse at it, but every year i continue to make them. i've had an old fashioned twist press and two newer, i think both wilton, models and i ALWAYS have that problem! if anyone has a trick to getting them out easier i would be forever in your debt icon_biggrin.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 9

Oh i think i will make you happy today...i had this same problem when i first bought the press..that darn dough would not release from the press, and if it did only bits would remain. I too tossed out dough in frustration, but i didn't give up and i figured it out..

Are you lining your pans with parchment or wax paper,silpat??? That's the problem!!! You must press those cookies straight onto the unbuttered, uncovered cookie sheet. Once the tube is filled i just keep pumping the handle until the dough is all the way down. I usually push out one or two to make sure it's all good. Then place the press straight on the cookie sheet..press the lever..hold for the count of three and then pull away..viola cookies! My son just loves this press and he helps me make them every year.

HTH

suzanne

ladeebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladeebug Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:22am
post #4 of 9

Suzanne, you are brilliant. I was indeed trying to get them to stick to parchment. I should probably mix up another batch and give it a go. I don't remember if I used parchment in year's past. Thank you thank you thank you.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 7:18am
post #5 of 9

lso, an exact dough temperature.... not too hot, not too cold. Should be cool. That goofs stuff up too. Good luck- easy when you get the hang of it.

ChristineJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineJ Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 12:08am
post #6 of 9

Someone just said it-It doesn't work with silpats, or parchment paper, nor them non stick pans. Last year I made 3 different recipes, same thing. Ending throwing it all in the garbage, until someone on here said it was the pans. I went out and bought aluminum pans, works just fine.

SweetLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetLisa Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 7:37am
post #7 of 9

Thank you Suzanne for sharing this tip! It makes sense, but I had never thought of this solution myself. After a few years of not making spritz cookies because of this very problem, I will try them again this year icon_smile.gif

SweetLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetLisa Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 7:38am
post #8 of 9

Thank you Suzanne for sharing this tip! It makes sense, but I had never thought of this solution myself. After a few years of not making spritz cookies because of this very problem, I will try them again this year icon_smile.gif

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 2:42am
post #9 of 9

I was going to say the same as Suzanne. Freeze or refrigerate your cookie sheets and the cookies will really stick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%