A Few Questions Concerning Sugarshack's Icing..

Decorating By Callyssa Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 8:13pm by sugarshack

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 5

Does it matter if you use hot liquid creamer as opposed to the powder/hot water?

Also, I can't imagine this would make any difference, but can I use French Vanilla instead of the unflavored? I just don't want to mess at ALL with the excellent results I got with the recipe exactly as it's written, unless I know it won't mess up the results.

And, does anyone know what the difference is between vanilla, and french vanilla? Not the difference in the creamers, but in general.

One last question; when I mixed this icing last weekend it seemed a fair amount stiffer than what it looks like on Sharon's video, but the results were so phenomenal that I haven't wanted to do anything different in fear of ruining the icing I have leftover. It just seemed like a thicker and very sweet icing, so I was wondering if I could thin it a little with more of the creamer mixture, and if that would change it's ability to crust, or smooth so well.

Thank you for your input!!

4 replies
Callyssa Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 5

bump.....!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 6:33am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callyssa

Does it matter if you use hot liquid creamer as opposed to the powder/hot water?

I have never used it but I think other gals have...

Also, I can't imagine this would make any difference, but can I use French Vanilla instead of the unflavored? I just don't want to mess at ALL with the excellent results I got with the recipe exactly as it's written, unless I know it won't mess up the results.

I think others have used the flavors with no problem; I do not think it would mess anything up.

And, does anyone know what the difference is between vanilla, and french vanilla? Not the difference in the creamers, but in general.

One last question; when I mixed this icing last weekend it seemed a fair amount stiffer than what it looks like on Sharon's video, but the results were so phenomenal that I haven't wanted to do anything different in fear of ruining the icing I have leftover. It just seemed like a thicker and very sweet icing, so I was wondering if I could thin it a little with more of the creamer mixture, and if that would change it's ability to crust, or smooth so well.

The stiffer you can get it, the better resultss you will get with sharp top edges and corners. Thinning it down will not make it less sweet, but it might take longer to crust and be a bit harder to work with. But, do a little experimenting and you will find what works best for you!

Thank you for your input!!

HTH!

Callyssa Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much for responding Sharon; I didn't want to bother you with a pm you as I'd assumed many had already tried the things I suggested. When I didn't get any responses, I went ahead and tried and exactly what you said are exactly the results I got!

What I ended up doing was heating up liquid french vanilla and adding to the too-stiff first batch I'd made; about 1/2 a cup. It made zero difference in the taste. Thinning it down didn't make it any easier to spread either since every little move I made made little scoops in the already spread icing. Then I had to keep going back and filling those in, but making more in the process! So yes, in complete agreement with you, I will keep the icing as stiff as I can that still allows it to be workable, and I should not question these things! The finish I got with the first batch was just unbelievable; it looked absolutely like fondant, and it wasn't shiny from the smoothing. I can't stand the shiny look that can happen. One of my teenage sons even accused me of trying to trick him into trying fondant again by telling him it was BC! Seriously, it was that flawless.

Thank you so much for sharing your secrets, I have all three of your DVD's and have learned so many little tricks from each. I can't wait for the next one!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 5

So glad it worked out for you!

Stiff is good!

hahahahahaha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%