Decorating By torysgirl87 Updated 8 Aug 2009 , 2:04pm by twiztidpayasa

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 12:35am
post #31 of 53

torysgirl, here you go: http://www.agbayproducts.com/

cakemaker61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker61 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 1:53am
post #32 of 53

I don't think anyone asked you if you had cardboards between the tiers? I'm assuming that you did but to not have anything between tiers would cause a collapse for sure. I agree that your cake could have been top heavy and being that it was uneven on the bottom to start with, that was the problem. I also never deliver a pre-stacked cake unless it's just a small two tiered. I also use bubble tea straws and for the lower tiers, also have a smaller fat straw (like McDonalds) inside the bubble straws.
Another thing, I always have two cardboards between tiers.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I'm sure you were devastated and luckily the bride wasn't angry. I almost had a problem years ago transporting a three tiered stacked cake and had the wooden dowell pounded all the way through but they didn't tell me that the driveway was steep and full of potholes. Luckily, it didn't slide too much and was fixable. So, since that happened, I'l never pre-stack a cake.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:26am
post #33 of 53

The SPS is great. I transport fully assembled 4 tiered cakes with no problems.. *knock on wood for safety* icon_wink.gif

I also use a little level to asses how level my cakes are. I fill the tiers and let them sit for a while unfrosted wrapped in plastic so they can settle and re-asses their level.. usually there's no movement, but you never know. Then I will chill them and ice them and assemble the cake.

It it's a big cake and I couldn't lift it fully assembled then I take it in parts, but I can lift a pretty good sized cake.

So sorry that this happened.. at least you were able to get something together for them and everyone was happy.

torysgirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torysgirl87 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:33am
post #34 of 53

I had cardboard between tiers. I'm not sure how I could not have...I'm sure the cake was too top heavy.

I'm not sure if the bride was not upset. I didn't speak with her, only the mother of the bride and the coordinator on yesterday, who were reasonable. I did call the bride today and left a msg, sent her an email and electronically refunded the cost of the cake. I'm not sure how she feels, but I'm sure she's upset. When I called about the payment on Thursday, she talked to me about the drama she was having and I assured her that I would deliver her cake on time.... icon_sad.gif

About leveling:
I looked at the Agbay. I leveled each cake, but used a small leveler from Wilton. I filled each pan with a bit more batter so that the cake would rise above the pan then I just cut the top off by taking the level across the pan. How wrong is it to do this? I didn't use an actual level to check, but I really thought the cakes were level. They obviously are not by looking at the picture. How did they get this way? I think I would've noticed this as I was stacking, but I don't want to seem like I'm making excuses. I was rushing like crazy too to get out of the house w/ the cake so I didn't notice it when I took the photo. I also want to know...how important is it to have level icing as well?

FromScratch Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:58am
post #35 of 53

Level icing is more important for asthetics and measuring your dowels. If you used a dowel from the shorter side of the cake to measure them then there would be pressure on the taller side and your icing would shift, or if you measured each dowel separately it would make for a discrepancy between the dowel height on each side of your cake. If you measured your dowels from the taller side of the cake you would have a gap on the shorter side as well, but the cake would be level or at least more level. I use a level after I ice the cake too.. I just put a piece of waxed paper on top and check and then smooth out any lines if I have to.

This is what makes the SPS so nice.. there's no cutting dowels. It has 4" high dowels and I make my cakes 4" tall and they system works great. You can get longer dowels if you need them, but I find it easy to make cakes fit the system as is. I only use the taller dowels for elevated tiers.

FromScratch Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:00am
post #36 of 53

I'd say that if you leveled them with the pan then it's your icing that is off more so than your cakes. Getting the icing level can be hard, this is why I use a piping bag to put the icing on. I use a #12 round tip and just go around and around until it it covered and smooth.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:42am
post #37 of 53

Is it possible that the cake settled somewhat after it was removed from the pan; maybe a bit unevenly?

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:04am
post #38 of 53

Now see, I wish I knew what it is I am doing wrong but...I don't find it that easy to use the SPS. My cakes, once iced and fondant covered are NEVER exactly 4" high. I'm either cutting the plastic tubes shorter or having to cut longer ones because the 4" ones aren't long enough, and the next tier is squishing down too much on the bottom tier.
Does that make sense? Anyone else have these issues?

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:27am
post #39 of 53

Another thing. If you torte each cake & it's not even (one side thicker than the other) then you put 2 thicker & 2 thinner sides together (the torted cake not put back together exactly how you took them apart) then you'll end up w/a crooked cake. Think about the topsy turvy cakes. This is "extreme" angles, but shows what I'm talking about. http://forum.cakecentral.com/article1-Instructions-For-Building-A-Whimsical-Tilted-Cake.html . That's why I cut a notch in the sides of my cakes, so I can line them up when assembling.

torysgirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torysgirl87 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 12:42pm
post #40 of 53

I didn't and don't torte cakes for that very reason. Two 2 inch cakes stacked.

dandelion56602 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:23pm
post #41 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetcakes23

Now see, I wish I knew what it is I am doing wrong but...I don't find it that easy to use the SPS. My cakes, once iced and fondant covered are NEVER exactly 4" high. I'm either cutting the plastic tubes shorter or having to cut longer ones because the 4" ones aren't long enough, and the next tier is squishing down too much on the bottom tier.
Does that make sense? Anyone else have these issues?

That's exactly what I'm scared of. If I could get mine 4" exactly every time I would get SPS for sure. Mine usually range from 3 3/4" to 4 1/4", very frustrating.

FromScratch Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:46pm
post #42 of 53

I measure my cakes as I put them together.. you also have to add on for the height of your boards.. so if you cake board is 1/8 of an inch then you have to measure your cake to be 4 1/8" tall as the pillars rest on the cake boards. icon_smile.gif

I do torte my cakes and I torte them to 7/8" tall.. filling layers are about 1/8" thick and top frosting is 1/8-1/4" tall depending on the day. I find having your cake be a teeny bit taller than the pillars and using plates that are 1" smaller than your finished cake helps to keep the separator plates invisible. icon_smile.gif

It takes some practice.. but making a cake to a certain height isn't all that hard. icon_smile.gif

and when you make a topsy turvy cake.. it's best to have your layers level and carve in the angles rather than try to create the angles by making the cake itself uneven. You will run into less problems with them leaning and falling over. icon_smile.gif

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 11:46pm
post #43 of 53

About the cardboard, I also use two under each cake. I also wrap them in plastic or clear shelf liner, or even fancifoil...especially when I am only doing buttercream. The cardboard soaks up the fat in the shortening, making it soft and weak. I haven't had a problem doing this, and I transport 4 tier high cakes all the time, and I live in the mountains. HOWEVER...I would TOTALLY use the sps if my customers would be willing to increase to cost of the cakes to include it. Most of the time, they are not.

Also, go to your local hardware store and get yourself one of those laser levels. They are awesome, and you can position it to "shine" a light all the way across while you cut. AWESOME.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 5:20am
post #44 of 53

I dont' give my customers a choice on buying SPS. It's a $20 add on fee. I just tell them "Your cake will fall down without this equipment set." Never an argument.

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:04pm
post #45 of 53

But where do you get it for $20? I can't find it for that cheap. Plus the cost of shipping. It was more like a $50 system per cake.

dandelion56602 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:18pm
post #46 of 53

You can let them "rent" the SPS. Have them pay a $50 deposit & refund $30-40 when it is CLEANLY returned. Just an idea

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:33pm
post #47 of 53

On the Oasis Supply site, a bog of the GC-4S legs is $ is 3.95.

White round plates: 6" is $1.39; 8" is $1.80; 10" is $2.55.

Total before shipping, $9.69.

That's enough for a four tier cake.

Shipping depends on your location, obviously. Do try to maximize your shipping. Order enough parts for as many cakes as your can at the same time to save on minimum shipping costs and avoid small order fees.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 9:56pm
post #48 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyscakes

I learned the very hard way, I use dowl rods and never never never transport a cake stacked more then 2 tiers.
after next year, I am thinking about going the sps way, but need the money to invest first.

sorry this happened to you!

sps is not that expensive and I've actually been making a ton of money off of it LOL I charge a $10.00 rental and $10.00 deposit on each plate w/ 4 pillars......so for a 3 tiered cake they pay an extra $40.00 and they get $20.00 back when they return them , but so far only one person has ever returned them (keep in mind that I only pay anywhere from 2.00 to 8.00 per plate) I charge the money because it's a hassle for me to have to order them frankly and I always give them the option of purchasing the system themselves if they want to. I know leahs just charging an extra cost for tiered cakes that covers the sps, but I thought if I gave them the option to return them I wouldn't have to order as much and if they didn't return them I'd make enough off of it to order 2 more sets!!

melody

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 10:09pm
post #49 of 53

That is exactly where I found them Leahs! I did as you suggested and will add them to the total of the cake!

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:36pm
post #50 of 53

so sorry this happened to you. I am icon_cry.gif for you.

I use an Agbay to level all of my cakes. I use 1/2 foamcore board under all of my tiers so it is really sturdy and I don't have to worry about it becoming soaked with the icing or anything.

I am a big fan of Stress Free Support system. I do know that it is expensive but I NEVER worry about my cakes collapsing or falling over. I will stack 3 tiers and carry and don't think a thing about it and have done so with 4 tier cakes but I prefer to usually carrry my 4 tier cakes 2 and 2. I dowel with a sharpened rod down into the board. I do like that the stress free only puts 4 tiny little holes in each cake!

I do not charge to use my stress free system but I do take a deposit on them. I collect a $150 deposit to ensure my rings/legs are returned. I don't have to remember to order more (good thing for me...my husband doesn't call me Dippy Doodle for nothing) and they are easy to use and clean.

So for me it is

1. Agbay
2. 1/2 foamcore board
3. Sharpened Dowel rods
4. Stress Free System

and I don't worry about cakes being unlevel or falling or collapsing.

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:46pm
post #51 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise

so sorry this happened to you. I am icon_cry.gif for you.

I am a big fan of Stress Free Support system. I do know that it is expensive but I NEVER worry about my cakes collapsing or falling over.

and I don't worry about cakes being unlevel or falling or collapsing.

I just want to second this. I too am a STRESS FREE Stacker. The rest of the decorating process can be stressful but no worries here either...

jenndga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenndga Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 8:01am
post #52 of 53

I am a small time amateur, and don't have money for the fancy separators and such... all my cakes are for family or free gifts.

What I do is have my husband cut the dowels all exactly the same and cut them 1/4" higher than the highest point on my cake. I use cardboard between the layers and ice over/between the gaps left by the extra 1/4". Your cake does not need to be level if your dowels are...

I use plenty of dowels per level and one final dowel through all layers... a 12", 9", 6" cake pre-stacked traveled over 30 miles and was solid as a rock when I got there...

It's just a matter of measuring properly for your dowels and using a proper saw to cut them cleanly. Luckily dowels at Lowe's are only .69 cents. One long piece does a three tiered cake for me.

Good luck with your next cake! icon_smile.gif

twiztidpayasa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twiztidpayasa Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:04pm
post #53 of 53

What is the appropriate dowel width?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%