Rolled Fondant On Chocolate Cake

Decorating By scarulli Updated 8 Nov 2008 , 10:16pm by melysa

scarulli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scarulli Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 8

What is the best method for covering a chocolate cake with rolled fondant without the cake showing through the fondant?

7 replies
Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 8

I ice my cakes with white buttercream before I put the fondant on. I've never noticed that the cake shows through, but I usually use colored fondant.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 8

I just finished covering a chocolate cake in yellow fondant about an hour ago. The cake is showing through. I think if I had put another coat of white buttercream on and refrigerated it before applying the fondant (so it wouldn't get squishy under the fondant) I wouldn't have had a problem.

MaloSlatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaloSlatko Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 8

I have covered chocolate cakes with both white and pastel coloured fondant without problems. Just roll the fondant a little thicker. You shouldn't have any problems.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 8

I've never had a problem covering chocolate cake with fondant. I would agree, you probably need to keep your fondant a little thicker if it is showing through.

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 8

I've never had a problem either. The white wedding cake in my photos was 2 tiers chocolate and 2 tiers white and you couldn't tell the difference. Just make sure you have a nice crumb coat first. HTH!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 10:00pm
post #7 of 8

Gosh, how thin is your fondant where the cake is showing thru? It should be between 1/8" and 1/4" thick. I can't imagine cake showing thru the buttercream that you put on first and also the fondant.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 10:16pm
post #8 of 8

i bake chocolate cake 75 percent of the time, and frequently use white fondant, rolled quite thin (1/8") without problems. i use swiss merinuge buttercream, so after i crumbcoat, i chill it and with it really firmed up, it doesnt squish out as i smooth the fondant. i use satin ice fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%