Can You Say Scam??

Business By jillmakescakes Updated 16 Dec 2008 , 9:55pm by gr8cakemaker

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 24

I got this email this morning. I swear that I simply cut/pasted it, I did not change a singe letter:

Hello Owner..
Ma George Moore and am sending you an email regarding for some wedding cake and also i will be to much great full if you can send me attachment picture for the cakes that are available on sale with the price list . also if i may ask can i know the method of payment you do accept as a payment ? Kindle as soon as you getting back to i will be like to know your name and also your Shop #? your early reply will be my appreciate .
Best Regards
Mr George Moore.....

Ok class, what does S-C-A-M spell?

23 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 24

I get bogus requests for "price lists" all the time too...At least this one didn't ask you to write "happy married life" on it.

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 24

thumbsdown.gificon_rolleyes.gif Honey, that is a SPAM SCAM for sure! DELETE, DELETE, DELETE! thumbsdown.gificon_rolleyes.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:10pm
post #4 of 24

Yes, a man with an English name like George Moore would speak that poorly.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 24

That's just pitiful. They never give up, do they?

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 24

I like the ones that say "Please bake me a wedding cake for 9 November 2008 and have it ready to pick up I will have a check for you. "

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 24

The "Happy Marriage Life" ones really do me in!! icon_smile.gif

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 5:56am
post #8 of 24

What is sad, is that there is a local cake decorator in my area who has a picture on their site with a picture of a cake that has Happy married life written on it. So it looks like he took the bait of that scam that was going around not to long ago.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 4:00pm
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassycleo

What is sad, is that there is a local cake decorator in my area who has a picture on their site with a picture of a cake that has Happy married life written on it. So it looks like he took the bait of that scam that was going around not to long ago.

Could it be that there is someone from that culture who lives in his area?

I actually did many cakes back at my shop in California with that or very similar wording becase we had a large melting part of the Middle East and India there.

They would have their traditional ceremony then do an "American cake" with a saying like that on it for the guests.

Now would I fall for that scam in e-mail... nope. I conduct all my business transactions face to face when it gets serious enough to secure a date.

I've gotten that one via my e-mail a few times recently and I reply telling them I can't help them but my friend who I copied can. The "friend" is my state Internet Fraud Division. icon_lol.gif

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 4:36pm
post #10 of 24

I can understand what you were saying in regards to your previous cakes. This one I was talking about had the exact wording that was in that email scam that was going around with the roses etc. So I'm thinking that is what happened in this case.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 5:03pm
post #11 of 24

When I worked at a cake shop I got a phone call and it was the kind where a person types a message, the operator reads it and I respond. Didn't think much of it, took their email and sent some info.

They wanted us to ship the cake to Canada, they would assume all responsibility. And they would be "happy to give you an extra $100, would that be good?" As soon as I saw this I said, uhh SCAM, im done.

For me it started to be a pain to deal with and I gave up, but my boss (owner) wanted to to it so bad because it was a big cake worth $$$$ so he persude it until he couldn't get a credit card (WHAT A WASTE OF TIME). lol. Oh well. I learned so much from working there.... especially what NOT to do icon_smile.gif

CakeswLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeswLove Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 5:21pm
post #12 of 24

S-C-A-M

Stupid
Crazy
Annoying
Mispelled

Sick

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

cakeballs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeballs Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:49am
post #13 of 24

I don't understand. What is the scam?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:14am
post #14 of 24

Total scam. Run like the wind. It's been going around for years now.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:32pm
post #15 of 24

YUP!!!!! S-C-A-M RUN!!!!!!!

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:58pm
post #16 of 24

Heather,

the scam is that they run you through all of these hoops and offer you extra money for all the work, but then pay you with a bogus check, fake credit card number or something along those lines. You don't find out about it until after they've gone. So you are out all of the ingredients, time and effort.

If you insist on payment more than 2 weeks in advance, its amazing how they suddenly no longer need a cake! It generally takes 10 days for a check to clear.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:07pm
post #17 of 24

Yep, I got the "Happy Married Life" recently so I thought I'd play along with them. I told them I needed to schedule a "tasting" to meet with them. I required $50 nonrefundable deposit and full payment 4 weeks prior to the date.

He agreed but wanted to know what the "price" was for his requested cake. I replied and said I only discuss price in person at the tasting. I haven't heard from him again.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:19pm
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Quote:

the scam is that they run you through all of these hoops and offer you extra money for all the work, but then pay you with a bogus check, fake credit card number or something along those lines. You don't find out about it until after they've gone. So you are out all of the ingredients, time and effort.

More often, the scammers have no interest in the item being purchased, in this case, cake. They couldn't care less. The scam is that they will issue a check with some huge overage that they ask you to pay their "shipper". So for instance, you are charging them $500 for the cake, and they give you a check for $1000. They tell you that an extra $100 is for you, and please pay their shipper $400 when he comes to pick up the cake. So you deposit the check in your account, and pay the shipper $400. Then, weeks later, the check comes back as fraudulent and you are out the $400 cash (plus the cake).

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:29pm
post #19 of 24

kelleym is absolutely correct, I had a friend who almost fell for this when she was selling laptops!! They paid her $7,000 for a $2,000 laptop and said to keep $1,000, but send the other $4,000 back in the form of a cashiers check or something like that. She went ahead and deposited the check, but didn't send the overage or the laptop, waited to see if it cleared. Of course it didn't, but it took weeks to come back. It was a very accomplished forgery of a cashiers check in reality! The bank didn't even recognize it as a forgery until they sent it wherever they send it for processing. (Ok, I don't know the bank process, I think that's obvious here!) Anyway, she ended up not losing money or product because she waited, but the bank did close all of her accounts and ask her to take her business elsewhere!! icon_eek.gif Even though it wasn't her doing the scamming!

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:45pm
post #20 of 24

My brother had the same thing happen to him with a CAR! He had it on craigslist, someone wanted him to ship it to Iraq and sent him a fake money order, I told him it was fake and it sounded like the same scam i read about here, and he didnt listen! He now owes his bank 4200.00!

*edited for a bonehead spelling mistake!

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:55pm
post #21 of 24

Unbelievable and terribly sad that people do this over cake! People have way too much time on their hands. Luckily I spend the time I don't have on CC!

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 5:11pm
post #22 of 24

The hair stands up on the back of my neck (when something is not quite right)- I ALWAYS ASK FOR CASH WHEN THAT HAPPENS. Half when the order is taken and the balance one week before delivery.
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 5:25pm
post #23 of 24

It can happen with ANY kind of merchandise, or even a service. In my other life as a ballroom dancer, I have seen the scam attempted on people who are trying to sell ballgowns online. The scammers attempted to scam a well-known professional by trying to pre-pay for dance lessons, naturally offering to pay much, much higher than the pro's hourly rate.

Just trust your gut, ask questions, and always, always request a face to face meeting and cash in hand before you begin. icon_smile.gif

gr8cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8cakemaker Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 9:55pm
post #24 of 24

I got this email just today....how are you going to pay me for something you havent even asked for yet? LOL

I'll be mailing a check via my Bank to you due to my job transfer and shortness of time. However, to ease the pick up, I'll be engaging the services of a mover to do that after the check has been cashed. I'll need this details below to mail out the payment to you asap...

The Full name on the Check
Mailing address be it residential or office
Cell phone # and
Final Price of the item

I'll appreciate it if the item is kept for me. Thank you for the understanding.

Regards

These people really need to get a life...and a REAL job perhaps?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%