Seriously Are People Becoming Dumber???? (Rant)

Decorating By deliciously_decadent Updated 8 Nov 2008 , 3:07am by dragonflydreams

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:03am
post #1 of 31

so i get a phone call about 15 min ago i answer and a girl says to me "hello we just wanted to know where you are located" ireply nerang (the suburb where i live) she says i know that but what is the address, i then realised i could hear that she was driving so i said my street but then added "i only hold meetings by appointment (which i do not have any scheduled this week so she must be wanting to book i ask her this) she says "no i am on my way to pay you for a cake (what the??? is my first thought as all my cakes are paid in full two weeks prior and next fortnights cakes are all paid for, so i was most confused so then i think maybe she is paying early for a future cake some brides do this, my stunned siolince on the line while i was thinking all this through must have triggered the girl to realise i had no idea who she was or what was going on so she says its for davids cake -still nothing registers as i know i have no male birthday cakes on the roster and all weddings are booked under the bride, just as i was starting to think she may have the wrong cake company she says "its the cake with the guy on the toilet -FINALY something triggers in my memory weeks ago (and i mean weeks ago) i got this phone call about a plain square cake with a figure of a man sitting on the toilet reading a magazine, i remember it as i thought it was the most bizare idea ever why would you want that on a cake!!??!! so the phone conversation that day was mearly an enquiry into cost etc and was left at that, never heard back, figured she must have thought the price to high (the figurine was goingt o be more than the actual cake) so now that i have worked out who these people are i say "that cake never got booked in what was the date for i will need to check if i can fit it in" get this.......next week!!! as in 7 days from today! yeah....no!!!! so i reply "i am terribly sorry mam but i am now completely booked for next week so sorry" she half screams down the phone at me "what do you mean i rang you! i have come all this way! what am i supposed to do now!!!!" calmly i reply" i am sorry mam but we require a $50 booking fee to secure the date of the booking (did not mention all the paperwork and contracts etc etc) and all my cakes are required to be paid in full two weeks prior to delivery" her reply" i am comming to pay you now in full and bring the picture (of her husband to model the figurine off)" "sorry i cannot fit it in i am completely booked it is a very busy time at the moment and i am sorry for any confusion" click, beep beep beep -she hung up on me!!! how stupid can you be thinking that you just ring up and ask a price then next minute turn up a couple of days before expecting everything to be fine!!??? i swear people are getting dumber!!!! thanks for letting me vent!! icon_biggrin.gif

30 replies
stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:30am
post #2 of 31

Oh that stinks. Some people have no clue!

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:37am
post #3 of 31

lol...get this i have people walking in to my store wanting a cake - FRESHLY BAKED in 20 mins...I dont even bother to explain!

deliciously_decadent Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:46am
post #4 of 31

so just had a swim to cool of (in more ways than one lol!!) stinkin hot here today! and i have started to think maybe they forgot and were hoping i would think it was my mistake and squeeze it in from guilt! the nerve!!! oh well next time she may be more orgnised!!

Quote:
Quote:

get this i have people walking in to my store wanting a cake - FRESHLY BAKED in 20 mins

seriously!!! oh my god that is crazy!! although i have read posts before saying similar stuff i had a lady the other day call about her wedding and delivery was 2 hours away, i explained that while i can do that i can only deliver to those places on fridays and her wedding was the saturday so ahe would need to check with the reception venue if they could store the cake overnight she then started screaming that she didn't want a stle cake that had been sitting out all night, i then asked her what she meant as wedding cakes take days of work (especially the one she wanted with roses and draping fondant etc) then she squeeled "wwwhhhhhaaaattttt!!!! you do not make your cakes fresh for the wedding day?????" "uh no, most cakes are a minimum of three days work and need to be ready to go for delivery the night before delivery" " i will only have a cake made fresh that morning" "well i am not sure who will be able to help you then as you are two hours away to start with, maybe you should look localy (thinking please do not call me again crazy person!!!)" needless to say i don't think anyone would help her!! lol!!

bchristianson17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bchristianson17 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:01am
post #5 of 31

She probably had no idea and figured it was like ordering a grocery store cake (cringe). Usually when you order one of those, they just ask what you want on it and when you need it and that's it.
That is really rude though on her behalf. Good thing you didn't tell her your address!!

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:02am
post #6 of 31

LOLOL A wedding cake made the same day!! rrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhtttttttt

deliciously_decadent Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:07am
post #7 of 31

lol! forfot to add that what she wanted was a three tier fully swagged and draped with cascading gumpaste roses!!! icon_eek.gif

kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:15am
post #8 of 31

I am laughing hysterically at the thought of this! It is scary to know that the expectations of people have increased and their intelligence is rapidly declining! Thanks for the rant..I needed a good laugh!

deliciously_decadent Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:20am
post #9 of 31

yes it is bordering on (actually it just plain is) madness!! but now i have had a giggle too!!! icon_lol.gif oh dear crazy people!! what to do with them ah yes send them of the the grocery store for a 7" mud cake with a happy birthday plastic sign shoved in the top!

Neicey76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neicey76 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:45am
post #10 of 31

Oh the last minute calls crack me up. I got a call last night after 9 requesting a birthday cake for this morning. I don't have a bakery...... yet so i bake from home. People don't get that you have to bake the cake, cool the cake before you can decorate. I am going to start baking and freezing cakes just for this purpose. sheesh

deliciously_decadent Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:56am
post #11 of 31

that sounds like a great idea but how would you know what flavours to do? i have a 28 flavour selection and wouldn't know which to do or what size etc

Neicey76 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:20pm
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by adatay

that sounds like a great idea but how would you know what flavours to do? i have a 28 flavour selection and wouldn't know which to do or what size etc

See now thats the only thing holding me back lol. Its still a plan in the making but yellow cake is the one people usually request from me last minute so i am thinking maybe to do 8 and 10 inch cakes. Just frustrates me that people think cakes come out of a magic hat instantly.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:39pm
post #13 of 31

Does she want the gumpaste roses to be made that morning too???

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:41pm
post #14 of 31

If you want to prepare cakes in the freezer, maybe you can make 1 or 2 flavors, in 2-3 basic sizes, say 8, 10, 12" rounds (whatever is your most popular last-minute order), and let them know it's from the freezer so they realize that theyre really ordering too late.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:42pm
post #15 of 31

Yeah, this has happened to me. This one woman called me on the phone, we talked about an order that was 2 months away, I get her email address and send her some ideas, and hear nothing back. About a week before her event date, she emails me, wanting to know when she can pick up the cake. I'm thinking what?!? I go through the emails, and see that I had sent her one 6 weeks before, and that she never responded. This happens all the time-people information gathering and I don't hear back because they aren't interested. So, I tell her I'm sorry, but I am booked. She calls, ranting on the phone, saying "I certainly hope you have me confused with someone else. We spoke on the phone 2 months ago about this." She was furious with me! But really, I send her ideas, and a quote, she says nothing, doesn't say sure, go ahead or anything, and I am just suppossed to make her cake? Whatever!
So the answer to your question is Yes!

Neicey76 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:42pm
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_for_fun

Does she want the gumpaste roses to be made that morning too???

That would be insane!!! We would have to charge people double for that!

AdeleP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AdeleP Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:53pm
post #17 of 31

My 18 month old daughter an i were watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse the other day and they were making Minnie a cake for her birthday, they made the batter, poured it into the cake pan and set it in the oven to bake. Just 15 minutes later Mickey pulls it from the oven fully decorated, absolutley amazing. We ALL need one of these ovens, wouldn't it be perfect for those last minute people!!!!

Adele

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:54pm
post #18 of 31

It's the fast-food mentality...Because you can get a full meal thrown through a window at you two minutes after you order it, people think that everything should work that way. The funny thing about it to me is that they want it that fast, but they also want it "baked fresh that morning." (I've had people ask me if I bake everything the day of the wedding...)

AsburyArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AsburyArt Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:45pm
post #19 of 31

I recently received a stern email asking for a price quote stating "I DO NOT want a per serving quote." Emphasis theirs.

She either cannot multiply ($5 per serving for 125 servings) or divide ($625 for 125 servings.) I don't know which is worse. If she wants to compare me to another baker, she's going to have to do one or the other at some point. LOL. Some are just clueless.

Beaches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beaches Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 6:04pm
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by adatay

so i get a phone call about 15 min ago i answer and a girl says to me "hello we just wanted to know where you are located" ireply nerang (the suburb where i live) she says i know that but what is the address, i then realised i could hear that she was driving so i said my street but then added "i only hold meetings by appointment (which i do not have any scheduled this week so she must be wanting to book i ask her this) she says "no i am on my way to pay you for a cake (what the??? is my first thought as all my cakes are paid in full two weeks prior and next fortnights cakes are all paid for, so i was most confused so then i think maybe she is paying early for a future cake some brides do this, my stunned siolince on the line while i was thinking all this through must have triggered the girl to realise i had no idea who she was or what was going on so she says its for davids cake -still nothing registers as i know i have no male birthday cakes on the roster and all weddings are booked under the bride, just as i was starting to think she may have the wrong cake company she says "its the cake with the guy on the toilet -FINALY something triggers in my memory weeks ago (and i mean weeks ago) i got this phone call about a plain square cake with a figure of a man sitting on the toilet reading a magazine, i remember it as i thought it was the most bizare idea ever why would you want that on a cake!!??!! so the phone conversation that day was mearly an enquiry into cost etc and was left at that, never heard back, figured she must have thought the price to high (the figurine was goingt o be more than the actual cake) so now that i have worked out who these people are i say "that cake never got booked in what was the date for i will need to check if i can fit it in" get this.......next week!!! as in 7 days from today! yeah....no!!!! so i reply "i am terribly sorry mam but i am now completely booked for next week so sorry" she half screams down the phone at me "what do you mean i rang you! i have come all this way! what am i supposed to do now!!!!" calmly i reply" i am sorry mam but we require a $50 booking fee to secure the date of the booking (did not mention all the paperwork and contracts etc etc) and all my cakes are required to be paid in full two weeks prior to delivery" her reply" i am comming to pay you now in full and bring the picture (of her husband to model the figurine off)" "sorry i cannot fit it in i am completely booked it is a very busy time at the moment and i am sorry for any confusion" click, beep beep beep -she hung up on me!!! how stupid can you be thinking that you just ring up and ask a price then next minute turn up a couple of days before expecting everything to be fine!!??? i swear people are getting dumber!!!! thanks for letting me vent!! icon_biggrin.gif

That is totally amazing. She sounds like a big brat who has never been told no. How stupid.

newbie08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbie08 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 7:33pm
post #21 of 31

fruit loop!!

Neicey76 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 8:01pm
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeleP

My 18 month old daughter an i were watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse the other day and they were making Minnie a cake for her birthday, they made the batter, poured it into the cake pan and set it in the oven to bake. Just 15 minutes later Mickey pulls it from the oven fully decorated, absolutley amazing. We ALL need one of these ovens, wouldn't it be perfect for those last minute people!!!!

Adele

If only we could have that oven!!

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 8:18pm
post #23 of 31

on my way out this morning to finish running errands, it's around 11:30 or so, and my cell phone rings. i pick it up, and this woman asks me if i can "do a titty cake" this evening....i'm thinking 'uh oh!...i ask her what design, once agains she says "titties", i ask when she needs it, she says "early this evening"

i snickered before i could help myself, then told her i require a 3 week notice before all orders and she could keep me in mind for any future projects.

goldenegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldenegg Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 8:28pm
post #24 of 31

it's no Mickey Mouse Clubhouse oven but one of these would be perfect for the crazy last minute orders lol

http://www.thecookinginn.com/easybake/easy%20bake%202005a.jpg

deliciously_decadent Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 9:31pm
post #25 of 31

oh you guys are so funny!! i suppose i couls do frozen chocolate cake (thats what people usually order last minute as they don't have time to think about it) but then part of me doesn't want to do last minute orders on shear principle that they should know better!!!! i have done a couple at 24 hrs notice though but birthday not wedding, and it has a lot to do woth the attitude of the person i think, someone yelling at meis not gonna get anything!! but someone acknowledding the enormity of what they are asking and knowing they areputting me out etc i usualy do those orders (and these people usually throw you a big tip for helping them out too icon_biggrin.gif )
i always wanted the cat in the hats cupcakeonator that spits out fully decorated cupcakes made from anything you poses and they taste great!!

AdeleP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AdeleP Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 10:10pm
post #26 of 31

I think you should stand your ground with people like this, she should have made things clear in the begining!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 10:23pm
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsburyArt

I recently received a stern email asking for a price quote stating "I DO NOT want a per serving quote." Emphasis theirs.

Yet when you tell her "a wedding cake will cost $900" the first thing she comes back with is "how many people does that serve?" icon_eek.gif

Years and years ago, I got an inquiry from a girl and when I told her the price per person, she sighed and said, "Does EVERYONE charge per person?" So I had to explain that's how we measure the quantity. "....because I can make a 3-tier cake to serve 20 or I can make a 3-tier cake to serve 300; so when I give you a price for a 3-tier cake, the first thing you're going to ask me is how many does it serve?"

------------------------------------

Hello, Lowe's? I need a price on paint for my living room, but don't tell me the price per gallon.

Hello, carpet place? I want a price for carpet for my bedroom, but don't give me a price per yard.

Hello, bakery? I'm having a sandwich party and needs lots of bread but don't give me a price per loaf. Oh...butter ... I need butter. But I don't want to know a price per pound.

Morons.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 12:02am
post #28 of 31

The problem is "stupid people don't know they're stupid"

Mike

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:59am
post #29 of 31

Some people have a serious "terrible two's" complex. They think the world revolves around them and that they should get what they want, when they want it. Oh well, on the plus side...the people like that are the ones we don't have to end up doing the orders for. Don't you think they would have something to complain about in the end anyway.

deliciously_decadent Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:04am
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Quote:

The problem is "stupid people don't know they're stupid" [url] mike

LOVE IT!!! COS ITS TRUE!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif [/url]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%