Question About Butter Base Buttercream

Decorating By sugarflour2 Updated 7 Nov 2008 , 6:01pm by enoid

sugarflour2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflour2 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 12:45am
post #1 of 12

I'm covering a cake with an all butter buttercream, how far in advance can I cover my cake? Also, the buttercream will be tinted with color, will the color run, fade or any strange happening occur if it's put in the refrigerator?

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:10am
post #2 of 12

I'd say no more than the night before for icing it.
As for color/strange happenings occuring........don't try to color it blue icon_smile.gif You'll get green.
When removed from frig it might sweat; just leave it alone! Keep it in a cake box and once it reaches room temp the sweating will evaporate. The might be some slight bleeding....not sure.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 6:46am
post #3 of 12

hi,

i've always used only butter BC, & when kept in the refrig, i thought that the colors became a tad darker. the colors never run off mine, at least.

the only thing i noticed was with designs such as rosettes, they tend to be a little off-shape once in the refrig.

HTH.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 12:32pm
post #4 of 12

I only use all butter buttercream and have never had a problem with refrigerating it. My colors have never run (even blue which I did for a guitar cake). Even when I use fondant accents I refrigerate and have never had a problem. My burger cake was several different colors and cookie crumbs and nothing bled.

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 12:46pm
post #5 of 12

I use an all butter buttercream also, have never had problems with colors bleeding. I just made one the day other day...fall cake, top half was light blue, bottom brown. Refirgerated no problem, thawed no problem!

sugarflour2 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks so much for the the great advice! One more question. This cake was originally due last Monday but the mother decided she didn't want it until this coming Monday. I her she couldn't have it on Monday because I have another cake I'm working on and that I don't have the space in my refrigerator, so she would have to pick it up on Saturday morning. My question is will the buttercream seal in the moisture the way fondant does, or will she have a dry cake on Monday?

AsburyArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AsburyArt Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:48pm
post #7 of 12

I run a brick and mortar business so I have dedicated cold boxes for my cakes... there aren't many strong odors lurking in my cases. But butter based buttercreams will absorb off odors faster than you can blink. Keep that in mind.

sugarflour2 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:16pm
post #8 of 12

Wow, I didn't know that about butter based buttercream. Maybe I'll just use a shortening based one instead. Thanks for that tip AsburyArt.

Also, I love your work Asbury Art and the next time I'm in your area, I'm definitely stopping by.

AsburyArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AsburyArt Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:27pm
post #9 of 12

Well, I wasn't and would never advocate the use of shortening, but I felt you should know.
=)

sugarflour2 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:36pm
post #10 of 12

Oh, I know. I've only used shortening based buttercreams a few times, I prefer smbc (what I usually use) but kids don't seem to like the smbc very much...not sweet enough I guess. This makes me crazy because if she had taken the cake when she originally said she wanted it, this would not be an issue. Next time I say no.

brannendeville Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brannendeville Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:43pm
post #11 of 12

What's SMBC?

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 6:01pm
post #12 of 12

Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%