Cupcake Wars - Washington Post Article

Business By marccrand Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 4:46pm by BCo

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 12:16am
post #1 of 6

My co-worker brought me a copy of today's newspaper. There are 3 full pages of the area cupcakery's. Who has the best, the most expensive, the most sales, etc. There are also articles called The Ten Commandments of Cupcakes and a recipe for a coconut cupcake.

I actually don't agree with their findings of the best, but haven't tried all that they tested (but I have tried their winner) But it sure makes me very hopeful - we (Divaricks and I) just signed lease space last week and will be opening our bakery next month. Yay, I get to quit this job (my co-worker doesn't know that - but might suspect). We do more cakes than cupcakes - but if we sell 5,000 cupcakes a day that might have to change!!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/04/AR2008110401015.html

You might need to click on "View all items in this story" to see everything

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 1:22am
post #2 of 6

I can't help it .... my mind works this way ....

5000 cupcakes a day ... assuming a 10-hour day = 500 cupcakes an hour. If they use a 24-cavity pan, that's 20+ pans coming out of the oven every hour.

Wow, I would just love to see that kitchen! I'm betting it would make me feel like a little country girl as I walked around going "oh wow! oh wow!" icon_lol.gif

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 6

It's amazing that they can get anything accomplished, especially 5k. The store is SOOOO small!! I'd love to see the kitchen and I'm pretty sure they have a basement for the baking but I honestly don't wonder if they do some things off-site because it's so tiny.

I heard they always have a line out the door but realized why when I saw it. There couldn't be more than 5 or 6 customers inside at once so ordering, boxing, and paying is very assembly-line like. If they had 2 doors (an entrance and an exit) it would really help the congestion but they fit right in to Georgetown - small, quaint and 19th century are what they are known for. I'm sure they could afford to move to a larger store now, but there's no way they would give up that location for any amount of money!

Taleesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taleesa Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 6

WOW!!! I have a dream to do this--it's very inspiring, I will review this video many times I'm sure---thank you for the post!

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 6

Wow, this is amazing! I have a friend who is talking me into opening a cupcake shop where we live, there is no cupcake shops at all in this country. This link made me think about it! Thanks for posting it!

Indydebi, my oven takes two 24-cavity pans at a time, so with me it will be 10 batches an hour icon_wink.gif.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 6

SAAAAAAAAAAWEEETTTTT!!!!! Nostalgia Cupcakes is about 15 mins from me!!! I'll have to check them out when they open! Yummy, can't wait! We go into Annapolis often b/c my BF loves these chocolate chip cookies from the General Store on Main street - looks like Nostalgia Cupcakes is going to be right up the street from there!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%