Cake Tasting Photos Please!!! :)

Decorating By gr8cakemaker Updated 18 May 2017 , 9:09pm by Cakesbybliss

gr8cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8cakemaker Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 26

If any of you dont mind sharing a picture of your cake tasting presentation, that would be sooooo helpful! I have my very first wedding cake tasting this Saturday and want to present myself really well and professional. I am at at home baker, so I will have to package it and take it to her. Any help or even advice would be welcomed...thanks!

ps. Sorry if someone already posted a question like this, tried looking through forums to find pictures but couldnt. icon_redface.gif

THANKS!!! icon_biggrin.gif

25 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 26

If you click on my website (at the bottom of this post) my splash page has a picture of my tasting plate. icon_smile.gif I am on a different computer so I can't directly put it in this post. icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 26

Ha! I was just about to link you to jkalman's picture! Too fast, you are! icon_biggrin.gif

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 26

jaklman! AWESOME!

I found this on the web a while back.. more "professional" meaning they put out a LOT of cakes to be able to offer this!
LL

gr8cakemaker Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:16pm
post #5 of 26

wow, jkalman that is beautiful! thanks!

Rocketgirl899- whomever provided that many cake/frosting flavors was ambitious...WOW! very pretty!

I am providing 5 different flavors that go along with 5 different frosting flavors...is this enough you think?

Rocketgirl899 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 26

wow! i think that is awesome!

i atutally think jkalmans, is a better set up they can miz and match better.

It reminds me of sylvia W. tasting platter.

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:33pm
post #7 of 26

Yes, I like jkalmans wayyyy better. Much more pleasing to the eye!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:44pm
post #8 of 26

How interesting. I have tried several ways to offer samples.
At my 1st shop I bakes & very simply decorated a single layer 6" round, sending it home w/the customer.
Then at my 2nd shoppe I just served 3 flavors - each a piece approx 1x1x2 on a disposible plate w/a cup of water.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 11:06pm
post #9 of 26

hope you don't mind... this is jkalman platter...
LL

FromScratch Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 11:39pm
post #10 of 26

Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

It is alot like Sylvia's plate. She uses an artist's palette and her cake samples are round. I didn't want to find palettes or waste too much cake cutting out circles so I just plopped it all on a plate. I also provide a map of the plate so they know what they are tasting and a mini bottled water. Each cake piece is about 2" square and the fillings are all about a TBSP (I use my mini cookie scoop). They are mainly flavored SMBC with the exception of the cookies-n-cream and the peanut butter mousse and cream cheese filling. People seem to really like getting to play with their food.. icon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 11:43pm
post #11 of 26

Ok, NOT trying to hijack this thread, but since you mentioned Sylvia Weinstock, does anyone know a site with pictures of her cakes? I go to her supposed website, and it is just a slideshow of cakes, not a gallery persay...anyone know of somewhere else, other than random images found on Google??

And again, jkalman, your sample plate is a beautiful thing!

FromScratch Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 12:10am
post #12 of 26

You can find a lot of her (sylvia's) work on Brides.com and places like that. Her website is not much to look at.. just contact info and a few cakes.

norma20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
norma20 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:30am
post #13 of 26

Jkalman, such beautiful display of delicacies! icon_smile.gif
How are you able to present that variety of cakes and fillings? Do you have them frozen? If yes, for how long do you think they keep tasting fresh in the freezer?

FromScratch Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:50am
post #14 of 26

I bake off 8" squares of the flavors of cake I present (white, spice, lemon, vanilla butter, and chocolate) and cut them into small squares and wrap in plastic in groups of 2 and then pop that into a vacuum bag. I keep that for no more than 2 months. For the fillings I mix as I need them. I always have frozen fruit puree and lemon curd and chocolate and all of the flavors I will need and I usually have SMBC frozen too. So I will thaw out a couple cubes of this and a couple cubes of that.. melt some chocolate.. brew a little coffee.. mix what I need and viola. It doesn't take much time at all this way. Occasionally I will have to make some caramel the night before.. but that's not all that hard to do.. and you have caramel for dipping apple pieces in.. and I wonder why I could stand to lose about 20 pounds.. icon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gif

norma20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
norma20 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 5:01am
post #15 of 26

Great! Thank you! thumbs_up.gif

lifonahil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifonahil Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 5:05am
post #16 of 26

Wow these all look great.

gr8cakemaker Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 6:01pm
post #17 of 26

I wanted to thank you all for the BEAUTIFUL photos and advice! I wanted to share the photo of my "tasting plate". I used a mini loaf pan to bake the cakes in. I just used a bit of batter from the other cakes I was baking. I tried to garnish each piece to make it look pretty, using royal icing flowers or nuts etc. the flavors were chocolate w/ chocolate frosting, lemon w/ lemon curd and lemon icing, chocolate with mocha buttercream, almond with almond buttercream, vanilla with vanilla buttercream, marble w/ chocolate buttercream. I printed out the couples monogram in their wedding colors and placed it on the top of the box. I also made monogrM cookies in their wedding colors. They booked (YEAH) and they want a grooms cake and favor cookies!...success...ANY advice or comments would be great!
LL

gr8cakemaker Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 6:03pm
post #18 of 26

here are the cookie favors...
LL

__Jamie__ Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 6:28pm
post #19 of 26

Brilliant! You rocked that tasting plate! And with cute swirlie frosting and all! Congratulations on your booking...going that extra mile really paid off!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 6:31pm
post #20 of 26

using the mini loaf! what a great ideaicon_smile.gif

cookies looked beautifulicon_smile.gif

Glad they booked, and seems you got more than just the cake.. with a grooms and cookies icon_smile.gif

congrats!!!!

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:03pm
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I bake off 8" squares of the flavors of cake I present (white, spice, lemon, vanilla butter, and chocolate) and cut them into small squares and wrap in plastic in groups of 2 and then pop that into a vacuum bag. I keep that for no more than 2 months. For the fillings I mix as I need them. I always have frozen fruit puree and lemon curd and chocolate and all of the flavors I will need and I usually have SMBC frozen too. So I will thaw out a couple cubes of this and a couple cubes of that.. melt some chocolate.. brew a little coffee.. mix what I need and viola. It doesn't take much time at all this way. Occasionally I will have to make some caramel the night before.. but that's not all that hard to do.. and you have caramel for dipping apple pieces in.. and I wonder why I could stand to lose about 20 pounds.. icon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gif

thats a great presentation.
how many people do you allow at the tasting
does each person get their own plate or do they share?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:17pm
post #22 of 26

Awesome job! Thanks for posting this.. there are many of us who often wonder the same things!

maitej17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maitej17 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 5:47pm
post #23 of 26

I know this post is 3 years old, but the pictures are so helpful! I will have my first tasting soon and I was so confused on how to do it. This has helped!
Thanks!

Cakesbybliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesbybliss Posted 18 May 2017 , 6:27pm
post #24 of 26

Hi I was wondering if the texture of the buttercream would change once it's frozen into cubes. Whoever can help

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 May 2017 , 8:55pm
post #25 of 26

I answered this on the other thread, but here again the snawer is NO it does not change anything.

Cakesbybliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesbybliss Posted 18 May 2017 , 9:09pm
post #26 of 26

Thank you very much! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%