This Is Gonna Sound Sooooo Dumb....

Decorating By Sweetlepea Updated 2 Nov 2008 , 8:40pm by pastryjen

Sweetlepea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetlepea Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 6

but how do i get quarter sheet cake out of the pan without it falling apart, and how do i stack them without the same problem?? they always break!! Should I freeze the cakes first?

5 replies
grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 6

I usually put a covered board right over the cake in the pan and just flip it over.... it should pop right out......... are you allowing it to cool about 10 minutes ?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 6

Cool the cake in the pan on a cooling rack for about 10-15 mins.

Place the cooling rack over the top of the cake pan, and flip the combo over in one smooth motion.

Using a second cooling rack, flip the cake over one more time so that it's (again) right side up (like it was in the cake pan).

Freezing or partially freezing the cake layers will make them easier to stack.

HTH

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 6

I also put a cake board over the pan and flip. I slide a new cake board under a cooled cake and slide it onto the bottom layer. I've tried sliding it off an existing board, but if the cake was warm to begin with when I put it on the board, believe you me, it sticks! If this happens, I take the Wilton cake slider and gently work it underneath the cake to loosen it from the board and then flip it.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 6

I line all my cake pans with parchment so they come out very nicely I flip them onto a cooling rack, then flip them right away onto the cake board. To stack them, I level the top of the cake, then take another cake board and put it on top, flip it over. Then I remove the parchment paper, and then slide the cake (the trimmed side down) onto the bottom layer of cake. You just slide the cake off the board..very easy! I have done even 20 inch round this way.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 6

I always line the pan with wax or parchment paper. Never had a problem since.

Although my SIL wasn't all that thrilled with the idea, I came up with a dig-a-dinosaur cake before I found out how valuable the wax paper is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%