Betty Crocker Vs Duncan Hines

Decorating By JaLa90016 Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 3:35am by calicakequeen

JaLa90016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaLa90016 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 28

I am trying to find a cost effective way to bake cakes. I want to be able to doctor them up and I have never used cake mix before.

Which is better betty crocker or duncan hinges?

27 replies
Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 28

I think you'll find people that feel that both are better! Just depends who you ask. icon_smile.gif I used to use only DH (grew up with it), but now use almost exclusively BC. I just think BC yields a moister, tastier cake. I doctor most of the time, but prefer BC even when it's just straight from the box.

RebeccaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebeccaC Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 28

I'm totally with you on doctoring up a cake mix. Since becoming a mom it's the only way I can keep my sanity and still bake. But, going back to your question, I always use Betty Crocker and have never had a complaint. Although, call me a hypocrite, I use a Duncan Hines cook book called, "Complete Cake Mix Magic." And magic it is. Every one I've made has been wonderful.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 28

I use both, I prefer DH white cake, but I love BC triple chocolate fudge cake.

So for me it just depends on the cake I am making.

But I was raised on BC Devil's Food cake, straight from the box with the Fluffy White Icing (the kind in a box you have to make ) and to this very day that is my favorite cake!

scrabblemomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrabblemomof1 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 28

When I'm practicing for my classes, I'll buy whichever mix is on sale (otherwise its homemade). I have mostly BC and Pillsbury because they are $0.96 at Walmart and DH even on sale is never cheaper. I have been doing taste testing on my coworkers (scratch vs. Doctured up box mix). But you just gave me an idea to do a tasting on the different mixes!

Thanks for the name of that Dh cookbook. I use Cake Doctor. [/b]

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 28

The most versatile cake mix I have found is DH classic white cake. You can add almost anything to it and it's terrific. I especially love DH butter fudge cake...mmmmmmmmm! I'm sure BC white cake mix is equally as good but I'm just a creature of habit. I can honestly say that I did not have good luck with the BC yellow cake mix though....so I always stick to white.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:24am
post #7 of 28

I definately prefere Betty all the wayicon_wink.gif Maybe a 1/2 dzn times I have used DH or Pills when I couldn't get Betty or they were *much* better priced.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:34am
post #8 of 28

I use to work in a bakery that used Pillsbury mix... with pudding and people swore it was "The best cake they have ever tasted." I am like wow! Your best cake ever came from a bag and uses frozen eggs? I have definatly had better scratch cakes, but moral of the story, people loved the pillsbury.

I personally prefer DH.... but only get it on when on sale for about $1 a box.

I am definatly a scratch person...unless I don't have time. I just don't feel as good when someone says this cake is delicious and it comes from a box. I don't get to take credit! lol.

BUT. Cost is huge. I just did a matrix and found that a box DH on sale is $3.25 a box vs scratch of $6.92!

cakemaker61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker61 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:58am
post #9 of 28

I've used them all but prefer Pillsbury because they taste great and are cost effective (only .89/box) I had a DH bottom tier fall apart on me years ago because it was so fragile it wouldn't hold the weight of the border or the roses around it. Thankfully when that happened, it was the day before the wedding so I had time to re-do it. I also don't feel the need to doctor it up being that it already has pudding in the mix. My customers always tell me how great my cakes taste great so I'm content to use what I know.
www.cakekeepsakes.com

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:16am
post #10 of 28

I prefer DH, but ALWAYS add a full 5 oz box of pudding mix (I do this to all cake mixes, regardless of brand). I think DH has a fuller, more appealing flavor and aroma. I have found Betty Crocker to have a denser texture, more pound cake like which is a plus on certain occasions. I made a Pilsbury cake last week (use by date was coming up) and it was GARBAGE and will never ever make one again.

cakemaker61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker61 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:25am
post #11 of 28

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Pillsbury brand cake mix. All I can say is that I've used that brand for years and have never had a problem. I bake cakes at 325 instead of 350 and for the white cake, use the whole eggs instead of just the egg whites. Anyway, we all stick with what we know and one brand isn't necessarily the answer for everyone.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 4:02am
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Quote:

The most versatile cake mix I have found is DH classic white cake. You can add almost anything to it and it's terrific. I especially love DH butter fudge cake...mmmmmmmmm! I'm sure BC white cake mix is equally as good but I'm just a creature of habit. I can honestly say that I did not have good luck with the BC yellow cake mix though....so I always stick to white.

Ditto! When BC went up on their prices a while back I was loyal only to BC but thought I would show them and buy DH! I use the WASC recipe for all of my cakes no matter what flavor and the comments are always how moist they are. The DH classic white is a must in my opinion! However, I use whole eggs and not just whites.

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 4:04am
post #13 of 28

I prefer Duncan Hines, but will use BC if I do not have the DH on hand.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:01am
post #14 of 28

If I'm making a cake from a box - it's gonna be Pillsbury! Goodluck deciding between brands!!

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:51pm
post #15 of 28

I don't make a ton of cakes with boxed mix, but I love Pillsbury. I always find it rises high and doesn't break on me.

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 8:00pm
post #16 of 28

I love Betty Crocker-especially french vanilla! I tried a generic a couple of weeks ago just cause they were 2 for $1.00-even doctored it was disgusting.

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 8:37pm
post #17 of 28

I prefer DH. It tastes great and bakes more even for me. For some reason, even when I use bake even strips, the BC raises up funky and not even at all.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 8:49pm
post #18 of 28

I prefer DH cake mixes, but BC brownie mixes. Go figure.

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 8:52pm
post #19 of 28

Duncan Hines Butter recipe yellow is the best!!! when i dont go from scratch, it is DH all the way!

ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:07am
post #20 of 28

I use a doctored version of DH plus some pudding mix, for my non sculpted cakes , But I will swear forever on BC for anything requiring carving.

diana83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diana83 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 8:03pm
post #21 of 28

how do you guys doctor up cake mixes? what do you add? and do you do it for better taste or to make a completly differnt flavor?

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 1:15am
post #22 of 28

I like both. I prefer DH for their chocolates and BC for their vanilla. Depends too on what flavors they make,like BC has funfetti and some other different ones the other doesn't.

Nancy

cavette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cavette Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 1:32am
post #23 of 28

I have been using DH and since I bought the Oven Thermometer my cakes are super moist! Thanks CC'ers.... I dont like BC at all whenever I make them they are never moist! Maybe its me! But DH all the way!

bigsisof3kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigsisof3kids Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 1:45am
post #24 of 28

Duncan Hines all the way! Especially the Dark Chocolate Fudge... mmmm

It seems to be easier to work with than other brands (carving, trimming, etc.). And we like the taste better.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 1:49am
post #25 of 28

I prefer duncan hines. I had a strawberry cake once and because the store didn't have dh brand I tried pillsburry. To make a long story short I had to use more boxes of pillsburry because it didn't make as much batter as dh. When I want to carve using the dh I follow the recipe on the side of the box that required pudding and an extra egg. It came out great!!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:08am
post #26 of 28

Put me down for Duncan Hines

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:19am
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by diana83

how do you guys doctor up cake mixes? what do you add? and do you do it for better taste or to make a completly differnt flavor?

Here is a the link to a thread about cake mix with "extenders", recipes that use cake boxe mixes as a base http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=601531&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0
HTH

calicakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicakequeen Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:35am
post #28 of 28

I usually use BC but I have used DH a number of times and I have never had a complaint. I think it depends on how long you bake them and the way you bake them on the end result. I ALWAYS wrap my pans with stripes of wet towel or bake even stripes so that the outsides don't dry out and I also keep a real close eye on them towards the end and check them every few minutes so that I can pull them out right when they're done so that they stay moist and don't over bake them. Also, when I took the decorating classes I was taught to ALWAYS freeze the cakes to help keep the cakes moist and I have never ever ever had a complaint...... I guess what I am trying to say is that it just depends on how they are baked..... That's just my experience.... good luck to all!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%