Icing Questions

Baking By Nicole1985 Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 8:54pm by Nicole1985

Nicole1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicole1985 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 5

I really like the poured icing , corn syrup based, but absolutely HATE making icing, all icing actually which is why i make it in bulk, is there a way to make the poured icing in bulk to keep on hand for last minute cookies. Next question, how long will royal icing keep and what is the correct process for doing so Thanks for the help!!! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
cakelass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelass Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 11:26am
post #2 of 5

Not sure about corn syrup icing but royal icing made with egg whites and icing sugar can be frozen for a long time. I do make this and store. Also Antonia's icing can be stored for a while I beleive and doesn't need refrigeration.

khufstetler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khufstetler Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 12:20pm
post #3 of 5

I use Antonia's...only for piping on MMF though. It's easy to make AND easy to store! I just make up a batch of white and store in a big Zip Loc container on a shelf... color small batches as I need it. Each "seasonal" color I make a half a batch of. It doesn't sit around too long before I use it, maybe a week? Never had a problem with it separating or anything!

HTH!

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:05am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by khufstetler

I use Antonia's...only for piping on MMF though. It's easy to make AND easy to store! I just make up a batch of white and store in a big Zip Loc container on a shelf... color small batches as I need it. Each "seasonal" color I make a half a batch of. It doesn't sit around too long before I use it, maybe a week? Never had a problem with it separating or anything!

HTH!

What's the difference between Antonia's icing and plain old royal icing?

I have a friend who is looking for a cookie icing recipe to use at home. I use rolled buttercream, but she doesn't want something that has to be rolled out. I know when I was trying out cookie icings I made RBC and another which I vaguely remember being called Antonia74 cookie icing. I don't remember it drying as hard as royal though.

Nicole1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicole1985 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 5

How do you soften the royal icing back up? mine got crunchy on the top.... just add water to get to consistency you need? Also what is rolled buttercream....sounds good icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%