Can I Have Icing On The Cake Thats Not Sweet.............

Decorating By SweetStuff30 Updated 2 Nov 2008 , 9:17pm by SweetStuff30

SweetStuff30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetStuff30 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 18

Seriously.. why do ppl ask this question when they want a cake?

SO heres my question... Can i ice a cake all in nutrawhip or coolwhip or some sorta whipped cream that is sturdy enough to hold up with fondant accents on it? Like what if i added meringe powered to it? Anyone got a recipie for a not sweet icing?

Thanks!!

17 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 18

Customer: Can I have icing that's not sweet?
Debi: No. icon_twisted.gif

To me, that's kinda like asking for ice cream that's not cold, for chili peppers that aren't hot, for kids that don't cry, and husbands that don't whine. It just doesn't happen in my world! icon_lol.gif

taxnerd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taxnerd Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 18

Indydebi, that's a great answer - I love it. thumbs_up.gif I was reading the question thinking - isn't icing supposed to be sweet???

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 18

I know what you mean -- I have one customer who has been ordering from me for years and every time it's "but don't make the icing too sweet. Last time it was too sweet." My answer "I'm not changing my recipes. We've talked about this." Her reply "Oh that's right." and proceeds to order the same cake year after year!! icon_confused.gif Go figure! icon_rolleyes.gif I'm with Indy -- it's like asking for a hubby that doesn't whine -- not gonna happen! icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 18

Yes, use the bettercreme. You whip it up and smooth it on. Check out Melvira, she introduced alot of us to it.

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 18

Yes, use the bettercreme. You whip it up and smooth it on. Check out Melvira, she introduced alot of us to it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 1:21am
post #7 of 18

........use the bettercreme.........

well.......not exactly. Yes, it can be used as an icing but........not in this case. She wants to put fondant decos on it....no can do on bettercreme or Pastry Pride OR Frostin Pride.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 1:41am
post #8 of 18

have you tried IMBC or SMBC? It's not as sweet as powdered sugar icings and its really fluffy, holds up well for all sorts of piping and fondant decos.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 1:45am
post #9 of 18

I've started adding white chocolate instead of some of the PS to the icing. Super huge compliments on it.

That being said, that's like asking for a cake that is SO yummy, you know, all chocolaty and so good, but make it a bit healthier. UGH!!! Or, can you make the flan with skim milk so that it's not so fattening?

wendalynn11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalynn11 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 1:56am
post #10 of 18

I use IMBC but have also been playing around with cream cheese icing lately, it is not as sweet. You can also go with a lemon flavor if that works with your cake flavor to cut down on the sweetness of the icing.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:10am
post #11 of 18

Here's a thread where members have successfully used Rich's Bettercreme for fondant or fondant accented cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-584057-.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-551303-.html

And a thread about coloring Rich's Bettercreme, and how it melts fondant and edible images:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-313693-.html

Melvira's Bettercreme Fun thread:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-601193-.html

If your customer wants a less sweet frosting, perhaps one of the meringue buttercreams would work....

Everything you ever wanted to know about the meringue b/c's with CC members taste opinions and so much more:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6011626-.html

HTH

SweetStuff30 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 7:40pm
post #12 of 18

Thanks so much everyone!!! im gonna start looking to see which one is good to make.. and if not then ill tell her im not gonna change my recipie.... icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 8:12pm
post #13 of 18

Oh maybe they want to try the horseradish icing??? Or the honey mustard???

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

JanH Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:25am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Oh maybe they want to try the horseradish icing??? Or the honey mustard???

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

It's funny that you said that, because on one of the episodes of the wedding cake divas they made a beer flavored b/c (per the groom's request). (The beer was boiled down to concentrate the flavor.)

Didn't catch the part which gave the cake flavor/s.....

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:35pm
post #15 of 18

I did that once, boiled beer down to make something--can't remember what off the top of my head--but it was nas-tee! Oh it was something with chocolates. Did not work out. But Guinness in brownies is ok--not super. I can't imagine icing made with it. An acquired taste I'm sure.

SweetStuff30 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 5:25pm
post #16 of 18

I cant find Rich's bettercream recipie?!? anyone have a thread to it?

thanks

JanH Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 8:03pm
post #17 of 18

There is no recipe for making Rich's Bettercreme, it's a product purchased either RTU (ready to use) or in a 1 qt. milk-like container for whipping yourself.

There are however, recipes for using Rich's Bettercreme (or Pastry Pride) to make different flavored fillings/frostings.

HTH

SweetStuff30 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 9:17pm
post #18 of 18

ohhhhh crap, im from CAnada and i bet we dont carry that product!!!!! I was all excited to try that recipie!! haha thanks for letting me know! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%