Red Gumpaste

Decorating By deetmar Updated 1 Nov 2008 , 2:57am by rvanok

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 4

I have a client that wants red roses all around her cake. When a cake calls for red or black fondant, I usually buy the Satin Ice, but how do you get red gumpaste for roses?

This is probably an easy question, but I am so tired right now that I don't care if I ever see another cake!

I have two big cakes due Saturday, two tastings, and a mother screaming that her daughter forgot about the cake for her wedding in two weeks. On top of that, I thought I would be really creative and make all my Halloween treats. Boy am I stupid.

3 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 1:04am
post #2 of 4

I'd use Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe. Add the color to the batch as you make it, the directions tell you when. Yes, you'll have a lot of red gumpaste, but it keeps forever in the freezer.

http://www.nicholaslodge.com/gumpaste.htm

This is the best gumpaste ever. You can find the tylose at countrykitchensa.com

Birdlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Birdlady Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 4

Hi

My friend from England gave me some red powder food coloring. I mix it with some shortening on a plate and then work it into my gumpaste as little at a time. I got a real deep red and it didn't get too sticky to work with.

Hope this helps

rvanok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvanok Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:57am
post #4 of 4

I make red (or black) gumpaste by kneading 2 tsp. tylose powder to 1 lb. red (or black) Satin Ice.

If I have to make the paste from scratch, I add the color in the beginning, adjusting the amount of water to compensate for the extra coloring needed.

After you make red roses, dust them with cranberry petal dust to get a gorgeous, deep red color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%