Moms Of Tall, Skinny Girls

Lounge By michellenj Updated 30 Oct 2008 , 6:37pm by mommicakes

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 16

I am at my wits end with my daughter. She's 5 1/2, 48" tall, and skinny. Good for her, my being 5'3" apple shape, but OMG it is a nightmare trying to find pants for her. Every single day it's a fight to get her to wear her pants, and certain days they aren't supposed to wear dresses b/c of gym class.

A size 7/8 fits her in length, but is huge in the waist, and I'm not a sewer. What do you do for a tall little girl with no waist? Can someone recommend a store?

Thanks!

15 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 16

I have a tall thin son, and Children's Place jeans fit him wonderfully. They have an adjustable elastic inside the waitsband. I'm not positive, but I'm guessing the girls jeans are adjustable too. Jordan has no butt, and the jeans are perfect for him. Maybe try there?

michellenj Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 16

I will have to see if we have one at our mall. This crying before school is getting old fast.

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 16

I have one that's skinny and has really long legs. I only buy her jeans at gap. The basic boot cut jean is what fits her best. They are available in slim sizes which helps and they have the inside pull elastic to help make the waist smaller. The basic jeans are $19.99. The other styles run from $19.99-$39.99....more than I like to spend, but I was sick of "hunting" for pants that fit! HTH

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 16

michelle
I was the tall kid that pants never fit
to be honest with you
the best thing you could learn to do is a bit of sewing.
I'm started learning to sew a few year ago because its near impossible to find a pair of pants that fits properly.

It really doesnt take a whole lot of time to take clothes in.

Good luck

michellenj Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 16

I hadn't thought of the Gap, either, because we usually park at Macy's and never make it out of the Hannah Montana department before it gets frustrating and we give up. You might be onto something with the Slim fit.

I'm so scared of sewing!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 16

I hope you find something that fits her. I was a tall very skinny girl and none of my jeans ever fit me. So embarrassing. Now this was 20 some years ago when they didn't have tall sizes. I think those came out when I was in high school. Thank goodness! I had the same problem with my son for a while but he filled out a bit. The kid is 11-years old, and is 5 foot 6 and 128 pounds! He will be 6 feet tall before he gets out of middle school!

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 4:44pm
post #8 of 16

JcPenney carries slim sizes for kids too. I live in the middle of nowhere so I order my boys' pants from there so they have stuff that fits. They're so skinny that even the slim sizes fall down if they're long enough. icon_cry.gif

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:06pm
post #9 of 16

Both my kids are on the tall, thin side, and it really does make buying pants a royal PIA! When my daughter was your daughter's age it wasn't such a problem, as I mostly bought her knit outfits that came with strchy, legging-type pants with an elastic waist. Those always fit her really well. When she got older and started wearing jeans, it was difficult for awhile, until we found the JCPenny's Arizona brand jeans that come in slims. They worked until she was 12, and then even the slims were too big in the waist if they were long enough. She just turned 13 and just started wearing juniors size 3, which fit her okay, but I hate how low the waist is. For my son, we started out with Children's Place, but then after he got out of the toddler sizes, the regular sizes were just way too big in the waist. They are adjustable, but if you have to tighten up too much, they look ridiculous and are ucomfortable because they are so bunched up around the waist. We switched to Penny's for him, too, although their jeans don'thold up as well, they fit better.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:15pm
post #10 of 16

I was that kid! I was tall, thin and I hated pants! I know my mom bought almost all my clothes at Foley's (now Macy's). Nowadays the only pants that fit are Gap and Express, so maybe the Gap Kids pants will fit your daughter. Or embrace her love of dresses and buy her leggings to wear under them to keep her legs warm. That's what I wore for about 2 years straight.

I have this problem with my son. His waist is a 12 month, but his length is 2T! icon_confused.gif I just take all his pants to my mom and she takes them in on the sides. Or...Target does have pants with the adjustable waist in the baby section, so maybe the girls section has them too?

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 6:49pm
post #11 of 16

Oh yes, Arizona jeans at JcP is what I wore in high school. They had tall sizes and they also weren't all gappy at the top.

michellenj Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 7:23pm
post #12 of 16

Okay, we're having a fashion show at my house tonight. I am hitting all of those stores.

michellenj Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 12:00am
post #13 of 16

Woo Hoo! Thank you, moms!

We had our jeans fashion show tonight, and we actually had a few that fit perfectly. I'm keeping the ones from Children's Place in 6X/7-the skinny jeans style. PERFECT FIT. And they were 2 pair for $28.

Thanks again!

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 12:08am
post #14 of 16

That's awesome! Glad you found some you like and you didn't have to break the bank to get them!

michellenj Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:01am
post #15 of 16

I bought myself some "skinny jeans" too, now if I could just get into them. icon_biggrin.gif They'll probably be out of style before that ever happens, though.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 6:37pm
post #16 of 16

I had the same problem with 2 of my kids. One girl, as tiny around the middle, but L O N G in the legs, other is my son, just the same. There has always been 1 pound and 1 inch difference between the two of them, but they are 18 months difference in ages. This year my son grew a little bit more than my daughter he laughs now.

Any way, I didn't mean to hi jack your thread, but I do have to agree with shopping at The Children's Place. I don't know how I made it without the adjustable sides in the pants.

On the other hand, my oldest son, is on the TOTAL opposite end of that spectrum. He will be 13 next month, and Children's Place has been the ONLY place that I could find pants to fit him. (now Old Navy works for him).

Childrens Place has my vote for sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%