How Long Does R.i. Keep?

Decorating By bobhope Updated 30 Oct 2008 , 4:36pm by bobhope

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 10:01am
post #1 of 6

hi!

& i understand it can be at kept room temp only but for how long? thanks for any input icon_smile.gif

bobbie

5 replies
Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 11:00am
post #2 of 6

If you use the meringue powder, about a month in an airtight container, even though my teacher claims forever. LOL But I refrigerate mine. And be especially careful if using raw egg whites for your RI. I would refrigerate it and toss it after a week in that case.

Enjoy your day!

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 6

Even though it doesn't go "bad" I have noticed that it is not as strong even the second day. I make each batch fresh, but I 1/4 the recipe.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 6

I have kept with RI for as long as a year and I make it with meringue powder. I haven't used it for strings or work like that but others have stated that it's not as strong when rewhipped. If you've got some made, you could try it and see how it works. I hate to make royal icing because of the grease issue so I tend to keep it forever.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 6

I usually keep it on the counter, with cling wrap over the top so no air can get to it, then with an air tight lid. I keep it only up to a week then rewhip but it's not the same consistency. I use both powdered egg whites and Wilton's meringue powder.

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 6

thanks for sharing...i asked because i always end w/ lots of extra when all i needed it for is to pipe on the script/text on the cake..it's quite tricky to half the recipe since i'm using raw eggwhites..i will try to use meringue powder next time, it's easier to half it , i guess icon_rolleyes.gif

bobbie icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%