Problem With Granulated Sugar

Decorating By bellabiaggio Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 1:04am by pnnllj

bellabiaggio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellabiaggio Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 13

Did I just buy a bad batch of sugar? I just made cupcakes and SMBC and there are large granules of sugar in them both. I did not sift in either case. I usually don't because I've never had this problem, but its almost like small pieces of rock candy. Anyone else ever have this kind of problem?

12 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 13

I've seen that happen a few times. I suggest that you sift the rest of that bag of sugar. You'll probably find more "rock candy" lumps and the sugar will be ready for the next cake.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 13

I too have had this happen...I have a large wire mesh sifter and I just place it on top of my sugar container and pour my sugar through it so I don't have to sift when I am busy, it's already done.
You will be amazed at what comes out of the bag!!!
Laura

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 13

Hi there! I have had this happen, and now I always sift my granulated sugar when using in recipes. I buy Domino brand, and there are always pieces left behind after I sift. icon_wink.gif

bellabiaggio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellabiaggio Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 13

Thank you! I just sifted the rest of it and it looks much better now. Out of a 10 lb bag, I'd say that there was about 1/2 cup of large rocks in there, yuck!

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 13

Wow!!! I've only ever sifted just what I need at the moment!... That's quite a bit! You can save that for your coffee. (If you take it sweet, that is!) Have a good night! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 13

Interesting thread! I never thought granulated sugar would need sifting. Learn something new on here all the time! Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 4:30pm
post #8 of 13

I have never in my life sifted granulated sugar. And for SMBC you would probably use gigantic crystal sugar... because you are melting it. If you have grains, then you did not heat the mixture up enough.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 9:38pm
post #9 of 13

Your rocks were probably caused by humidity. That sugar got damp somewhere along the line. You can make sugar cubes by using just damp sugar, stuffing in molds, and letting it dry.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 2:35am
post #10 of 13

I sift the granulated sugar I buy. I've bought a few bags that I swear had little sugar rocks in them. I think those are the bags that might be sitting longer, I don't know, just a guess. Now I sift it just in case.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 11:24am
post #11 of 13

If it's dry I sift it. BP, flour, sugar.

Mike

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 10:50am
post #12 of 13

Yep same here, I sift all dry ingredients icon_smile.gif We use mainly superfine sugar for cakes that are creamed to avoid any grittyness and increase volume!

pnnllj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pnnllj Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:04am
post #13 of 13

I had the same thing happen once when hubby brought home a bag of store brand sugar. Seemed like the granules where bigger, thought I was imagining it, but maybe not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%