Have You Left Out A Letter?!

Decorating By IloveYorkies85 Updated 30 Oct 2008 , 6:14pm by becklynn

IloveYorkies85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IloveYorkies85 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 1:43am
post #1 of 28

I was finally getting confident with my cakes, and then I left out the "D" in birthday yesterday! I didnt notice until I looked at the picture after I had dropped it off. I begged to come fix it, but she said don't worry about it, that it would be funny when she took it to work! icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif

Have you ever left out a letter??? Please say yes.......

27 replies
becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 1:49am
post #2 of 28

Yes! A couple of weeks ago I left off the "t" in birthday!! I had made the straight line for the "t", then got distracted. When I came back to the cake, I guess I thought I was on the "h" and moved on. Didn't even notice it! It was for my daughter's boyfriend, and they thought it was funny. Oh well...

lucettaslegacy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucettaslegacy Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 1:51am
post #3 of 28

Funny...I haven't left out a letter, but I have added one. On Fri I had done up a cake. I'm new to the business and I'm teaching myself. It was my first attempt to buttercream roses. I was so proud I had taught myself how to make them that I couldn't figure out why the name on the cake just didn't look right. I took pics, email to my mom & sis and for my website and looked at it several times after it was boxed. About 45 min before she was going to pick I was getting my bill around. I took one last look & Wow!!! I had spelled Stepahanie...like this Sthephanie! I could have died! I had plenty of time to fix it! I feel your pain!!!!

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 1:57am
post #4 of 28

I'm sorry that happened, I know how you must feel...Easy mistake. We all learn lessons that make us more careful every day!
Glad you had a nice customer...I'd just offer her a 50% discount on a 8" round cake next time she needs one, and move on forward with a smile!
icon_wink.gif

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:15am
post #5 of 28

Yes! Years ago I misspelled "Birthday." I did again just a couple of weeks ago, but I caught it in time. The worst was I didn't take good notes and made a 60th birthday cake for someone's 56th birthday. Oops!

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:29am
post #6 of 28

Erica, I do cookies, but I saw this post on the home page, had to respond. I did records from the play 'Grease" last week, and I HATE my chicken scratch anyway, but braved writing song titles, Was so proud one of my favs fit it on the record, but came up with "Look at me, I'm Sanda Dee". Typical, didn't notice it until I was uploading my pictures, and cookies were long out the door. Aaaauuug. Look out Cake Wrecks!

jjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjcakes Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:50am
post #7 of 28

icon_redface.gif Yup, I once left out the "h" in birthday. Thankfully I did happen to notice before they picked up the cake so I was able to fix it. Whoops!

kbw5780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbw5780 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 1:19pm
post #8 of 28

I left the 'a' out of birthday on a cake I made for someone....LOL...I noticed it after I took pics of it and posted on here. I just kind of had to add the 'a' in because I had hand written it and they were on the way to get it. It was for a friend and they were so excited about the 'boob' cake that I had made, that they didn't even notice.

IloveYorkies85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IloveYorkies85 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 1:22pm
post #9 of 28

Well that makes me feel a little better. It was for a friend of mines Mom, but she had never gotten one of my cakes before.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 1:34pm
post #10 of 28

Uh oh! Don't let Jen at Cakewrecks find out... icon_lol.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 28

It wasn't a letter, but I made the #1 backwards on a smash cake once. Does that count?

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:20pm
post #12 of 28

I've missspelled birthday, too!! The bad thing is my husband noticed but didn't say anything because he didn't want to hurt my feelings icon_rolleyes.gif

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:37pm
post #13 of 28

I didn't misspell a word, but did forget to cross my "T" in Birthday. Now I always double check to make sure I dot my "i"s and cross my "t"s.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:42pm
post #14 of 28

Yep. I'm a serial "H" in "Birthday" leaver-outer. Thank goodness I posted this in the gallery and some kind CC'er noticed before I delivered!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=21113

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:44pm
post #15 of 28

how about putting the wrong name on a cake, the cake was for a boy from a large family, and and my sons were good friends with his younger brothers, and I was thinking of one of the younger ones and put his name on instead of the birthday boy. Didn't notice it until I delivered the cake, and saw which of the brothers was there. Could have crawled into any crack , but the sister still orders cakes from me.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:49pm
post #16 of 28

My very first cake for a non-family member - I left out the H in birthday! I was so proud of that cake, and so happy to post it online for my family & friends to see...then my then 9 year old son said, "mom, you didn't spell birthday right." Oh my gosh!!!! Needless to say, I look and look and look now, while I'm piping and after! icon_smile.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:51pm
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYorkies85

I begged to come fix it, but she said don't worry about it, that it would be funny when she took it to work! icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif

Oh oh. Beware! You might end up on Cakewrecks, and she didn't want to fix it so she could send it in! icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:58pm
post #18 of 28

Yup..messed up Birthday by forgetting the H. You can see the pic in my picasa web album. It's under the cupcake cakes.. I still posted it there. Thankfully it was for family so we just laughed. I also mispelled Farewell..forgot the E..that was embarrassing as it was a cake for my son's kindergarten end of year party. All the parents were there too. I wanted to crawl into a corner and die. Now i always triple check my spelling but that's not to say a mistake will never happen again. I guess i'd better watch cakewrecks for my wrecks.

gr8cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8cakemaker Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:15am
post #19 of 28

icon_redface.gif YES! I totally spelled PHILLIP-PHILIP in huge letters and didnt notice. When the mom came to pick up the cake she very nicely asked if I could slip in another 'L'. Thankfully I could scrape off the ip and add lip! Shwew. Didnt get to take a pic though, and till this day the pic on my website says PHILIP. Oh well....it happens icon_wink.gif

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:20am
post #20 of 28

Nice to hear I'm also not alone.

A friend asked me to make a birthday cake for two brothers - Stephen & Nicolas.

My husband questioned Stephen or Steven. I thought I was right but took the time to pull out one of his annual birthday pictures they send us to confirm they used a "ph" and not a "v"...but didn't check Nicolas...and spelled it Nicholas...as in Saint! icon_redface.gif

They were fondant letters on buttercream - and since I was there attending the party, I offered to pull the "h" and try to slide the rest over. The mother was sweet and wonderful, and said just to leave it.

After that, I'll always check every spelling of every name.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:26am
post #21 of 28

Ok I have to admit I am a terrible speller and even worse at typing.
I recently miss spelled my nephews name Nicholas. I put Nicolas looked right to me. Yesterday I noticed after I delivered a cake while looking at the memo on the check the name was spelled different that I wrote on the cake Savana is what I did her name is Savanna. oops missed an N
But the worst thing I ever did and I cant believe I am admitting to this....... though it wasn't on a cake.
I use to give quotes more moving and I wrote Vagina instead of Virginia
and my boss is the one that noticed I hope the customer never saw it!
God help me if I ever have to write Virginia on a cake

OK STOP LAUGHING!

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:35am
post #22 of 28

My very first job was working at a Baskin Robbins (and I did their ice cream cakes). I was 14 years old...so that's my excuse for putting "Congradulations" instead of the correct "Congratulations". (I used phonetics, LOL)

tyandton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyandton Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:42am
post #23 of 28

My husband did a cake that had the letters cut out of fondant and put on the cake. The name was Taylor. He spelled it correctly but put the Y on backwards. None of us-not even the parents or child noticed. About 2 years later when I was looking at some photos with a customer they pointed it out. I laughed and said - Oh that was an inside joke, we did it on purpose. A little white lie! She did order a cake and specified that she did not like jokes and would appericiate it if we would not do anything "funny" like that to her cake! You bake and you learn! We double check all of our letters now!

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:00am
post #24 of 28

i did a cake for this past weekend and the saying on the cake was supposed to be 'this is what cool looks like'. now, i write everything out on paper before writing it on the cake and i did for this one. except i wrote, 'this is cool looks like'. i was sooooo thankful i didn't write it in black on a white cake yet!

i have made my letters too big on cakes, though, and didn't have room for the whole word or phrase and have had to scrape off and rewrite.

tuffstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tuffstuff Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:12am
post #25 of 28

So it's not just me that leaves the H out of birthday all the time! That makes me feel better. thumbs_up.gif

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:43pm
post #26 of 28

I made a baby shower cake one time that was suppose to say "It's A Boy". Instead I wrote "I's A Boy". The customer's husband picked up the cake, & he really didn't look closely at it. After he left, I was looking at a pic. that I taken & was horrified. I called the customer & told her I would come to her house & fix it. She just laughed & said it didn't matter. When I persistently continued to insist on fixing it, she called her husband. He brought the cake back to my house to be fixed.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 6:03pm
post #27 of 28

I've left out letters, added letters, rearranged letters...this is one of the reasons I now write on the cake FIRST. Check the order, write the message, check again then decorate. That way if I've goofed it's easier to fix it.

Have you ever gone to write a name on a cake while listening to a radio station? "Good day to you all! This is Dave and Tammy in the morning!..."

You write Happy Birthday Tammy when it's supposed to be John....aaaaaaaarghh. I've done that too. That's why now, no one can talk to me while I write on a cake and I listen to commercialess(?) music.

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 6:14pm
post #28 of 28

I know! I hate it when someone talks to me while I'm writing on a cake or worse - someone WATCHING me write on the cake! My hands start shaking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%