Frosting Cake Dummies

Decorating By izzybee Updated 25 Oct 2008 , 7:11pm by ginnybug

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 5

I am doing a wedding cake that is 5 tiers, but the bottom two are dummies to make the cake taller. So I need to decorate them identically to the edible tiers, so here's my question:

I use a swiss meringue buttercream and want to know the best way to ice a dummy. Is it the same as icing a regular cake, or do you have any warnings or tricks?

thanks!
Lauren

4 replies
cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 5

Anyone else having problems with the main page? I haven't been able to keep the pictures up to look at. They disapear! I can see the forum though. Is it just me? icon_cry.gif

amie202 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amie202 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 5

My best tip is to glue your dummies down to your board. The dummies are so light you will find yourself chasing it around if you don't secure it down firmly.

You can use sharped dowels to go right down through the dummy and into your board. (if it is a drum or foam core)

Good Luck!

check out NCACS www.cakeshow.org

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 5

ooops!!! Didn't mean to post my question here, up above! icon_redface.gif

ginnybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginnybug Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 5

I used two dummy tiers for the bottom layers when I made my stacked Beatles Cake. I wrapped them in Saran Wrap and taped them tightly before I iced them with buttercream icing so that clean up would be easier. I stuck each layer together and to the cake board with the icing to keep the cake from sliding and had no problems with that. Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%