Need Help With Cupcake Idea

Decorating By noyhoward Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 1:19am by noyhoward

noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 9:37am
post #1 of 20

I have an oder this coming Friday for a camouflage cake and she also wants 2 dozen cupcakes for the party .The cake will be for the kids & cupcakes will be for the adults @ the party.What kind of cupcakes can I make to tie in with the camouflage theme.She also want to have some kind of leave decoration on the cupcakes.Please help!!Thank you!
Noy

19 replies
SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 10:23am
post #2 of 20

Well my vote for the CC is not too much dark food colorings like the camo. Adults dont really enjoy that like the kids do. She wants "leave decoration?" Like as in time off , leave? Strange request for a CC decoration, tough. Only thing that comes to mind is things like a clock something showing time off and work on the face and a hand on the "leave time" ?? Or different things on top that you may do no leave.... TV, fishing...? Tough one. Let me know what you come up with being military I like to keep up on the ideas and themes birthday.gif good luck

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 10:47am
post #3 of 20

I'm assuming you mean some sort of a leaf on each cupcake right? What about if you do mini leaves and paint some of the leaves camo colored and some of them fall colors so it matches the cake but gives it a lil bit of a realistic look to the leaf. Let me know how you do. Good Luck

noyhoward Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 10:56am
post #4 of 20

Thanks Sara,I think she wants a regularcupcake with RI,fondant or buttercream leaves on top.But to me that will just look plain & boring & I can't do flowers because it's for a little boy's b-day.Should I do different cupcakes like one green,one brown & so on?Then the decoration on top,what will tie in with the cake that have leaves?The only thing I can think of is flower but she doesn't want flowers.

noyhoward Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 11:04am
post #5 of 20

xtrulyexotic,do you mean a fondant leaves & just paint some camo & fall colors?Thanks! icon_smile.gif

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 11:16am
post #6 of 20

I was thinking fondant. They may even have some chocolate molds you can do too.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 11:17am
post #7 of 20

I'd suggest icing the cc's with the same camo colors you use on the cake. It shouldn't be that difficult to do small-scale camo. Then attach a few leaves onto the cc's for added color.

noyhoward Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 11:30am
post #8 of 20

Thanks every for the help! icon_biggrin.gif This is my 2nd paying customer & I want to do a good job on it hoping that I can get more customers from this party.Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:59pm
post #9 of 20

Ahhh you said leave and military, the typo messed me up, Sorry!
Maybe check out doping chocolate leaves and mold a acorn out of caramel square with a chocolate dipped top and a choco sprinkle top. ( cupcake cookbook example, from hello cupcake I believe )

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:57pm
post #10 of 20

How about doing the leaves and put an acorn in the middle. That way it doesn't look girly. icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 7:11pm
post #11 of 20

Scroll just beyond the halfway mark on this site...looks like chocolate transfer leaves...instead of icing them in orange, ice them in o.d. green or tan then attach the leaves

http://heather.halo5.net/?m=200711

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 7:31pm
post #13 of 20

Depends on what type of camo you are doing...there is military camo and then there hunting camo....

If it's military, you can make some little "brain buckets" and put on top or a little tent even...

If it's hunting, I'd go with the leaf idea. In like colors of course.

The "brain bucket" idea would be easily made with a circle cutter and then molded over a ball of some kind and left to dry. The tent would be too, two peices of fontdant propped up with a couple of peices of thick dry spagetti sticks on either end. You could do that right onto the cuppie and just leave it to dry there...easy peasy.

Hope those ideas help...

thumbs_up.gif

noyhoward Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 10:11pm
post #14 of 20

I'm sorry my email didn't let me know that I had respond to this post.It's an army theme.I'm sorry but I don't know much about camo or military but what is a brain bucket?Is it a bucket with a brain in it?Thanks everyone for the help,lots of great ideas.
Noy

all4cake Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 10:45pm
post #15 of 20

lol...it's a helmet...I think

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:10am
post #16 of 20

OH yeah, it's a helmet! LOL

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:35am
post #17 of 20

did they specify buttercream on the cuppies? If not, I would make domed cuppies, fill with vanilla bc, and cover with a smooth fondant top in colors that coordinate with the main cake. then maybe "stamp" with a leaf imprint/food color to give a cool worn-out leaf impression.

noyhoward Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 4:05am
post #18 of 20

No she didn't specify,the only thing she request was leaves or leaf on it.How do you do a dome on a cupcake?I've seen it before but don't know how to do it.Thanks!

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 5:24am
post #19 of 20

Naturally a cupcake's inclination is to want to "dome" while baking. I've never had any that came out completely flat--although possible, I'ts never happened to me. "Domed" refers to the rounded appearance of the top of the cupcake. If you search the forums, though, I know I've seen some threads in regards to this issue. Sorry I can't give any more specifics than that icon_redface.gif !

Generally speaking, I feel like the smooth appearance of a fondant covered cupcake is very neat and handsome. Also by losing the "frills" of the BC swirl on top, you're taking a way that itty-bitty element of girly-ness which would help tie the cuppies to the camo cake better.

Basically it could look something like this (only without the flowers of course.)

Happy baking!
LL

noyhoward Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:19am
post #20 of 20

Thanks for all the help.I went with fondant leaves & made it a camo.The cupcake is under my photo.Thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%