What Did I Do Wrong With Fondant Figure?

Decorating By grannys3angels Updated 25 Oct 2008 , 2:52am by grannys3angels

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 12

Hello everyone!

This only my second fondant figure (body wise), but my 1st. standing up. He did have longer legs, but over night he got shorter. I used toothpicks for each leg to help stand up and for bracing. Should I have 1. let the legs dry before adding the rest of the body?, 2. let the legs dry laying down then add the body? 3. used something else that would have gave the legs stronger subport? 4. is there any tutorail, youtube, or web site that shows how to do a fondant body, legs for a fondant figure? I still have few touch ups to do on him.

Thanks you for reading and with any info you can give me. Hope the picture loads, and not sure if you will be able to see what happen with the legs. Will give it a shot.

God Bless,
Sharon
LL

11 replies
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 12

i can't see anything wrong with it. just wanted to say... "HOW CUTE! he is so adorable!" I have the sudden urge to count... (that's him, right?)

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 12

I, too, think that he is really cute. However, I know what you mean about the legs. I learned the hardway (same as you) that I have to let the legs dry before I add the body. I use dry spaghetti as supports, and push them close to the body (to kinda leave an impression on the tops of the legs), then remove them and leave them to dry overnight (sometimes longer!). Then I go back with some corn syrup, and attach the body.

HTH - icon_biggrin.gif

grannys3angels Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 12

Thank You! cupcakeshoppe, for your sweet comments and reply. icon_lol.gif , yes that would be the "Count". It's for a cake for my grand daughters K class Halloween party next week.

His legs kind of slid down and aren't as long or thin as I had made them...so I was wondering if there was a way to keep this from happening, and/or if there something I did wrong in the way I did them.

God Bless,
Sharon

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 12

no problem. i've been known to just sing "sunny day...." whenever i feel like it LOL i even hum it. icon_smile.gif Bet your grand daughter will LOVE it.

grannys3angels Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 12

Thank You! mandifrye for your reply and help, (sorry didn't see your reply till after posting my last reply).

Next time I will know what to do, guess I got in a hurry and really not knowing what I was doing....didn't help icon_lol.gif Life is like a teacher, we learn something new everyday.

Again, thanks for your help!
God Bless,
Sharon

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:12pm
post #7 of 12

Aawww he is way too cute!
I've done a few things with legs (animals, people etc) and I reckon it's best to leave them to dry before expecting them to support any weight.

Sometimes lying them flat can cause the back to flatten (if you know what i mean) I remember someone suggesting drying things off in powdered sugar (i think it was ps or some similiar consistency) this allows the natural shape to be preserved and prevents any flattening on the bottom side - don't know if that makes sense but hopefully you'll know what i mean.
HTH

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:17pm
post #8 of 12

Hi Sharon! First, that Count is sooo cute! His short legs give him character, I think. That being said. Yes, assemble parts separately and let them dry overnight. I, too, use spaghetti, but leave it tall and "poke" it into the body (torso) for extra support. As well, use a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste for figures that dry firm and don't sag. A link of my son's sixteenth birthday cake is below. Note his tall legs - he's actually 6'1 so I wanted to make sure I portrayed that in this figure.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1225274

Again, your Count is adorable!
Edited because I spelled Sharon's name wrong the first time!
Blessings,
Wendy

grannys3angels Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:44pm
post #9 of 12

Thank You! marksmum & Win, for your time, helpful replysand wonderful comments on the Count.

I had some gumpaste, didn't think about doing the 50/50...that would have help out a lot with the legs also. I did think about using the spaghetti, but thought it would break, thats why I use the toothpicks...now I know to go ahead and use next time.

Win, you did a wonderful job on your son's cake and your standing figure is outstanding! thumbs_up.gif That is kind of how the Counts legs started out icon_lol.gif

Thanks again to all those who reply, I really do appreciate your help!
God Bless,
Sharon

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 11:19pm
post #10 of 12

I've also heard that drying things on foam helps from having the flat backs/bottoms.

Do 50/50 fondant/gumpaste or add tylose, gum trag or gum tex to fondant to help the fondant harden up faster.

He is cute though, even if he is a shorty! icon_smile.gif

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 11:46pm
post #11 of 12

I think your Count is adorable! I wouldn't change a thing.

I have only made a couple of figures but did them in pieces. Head, legs, torso etc. as the character called for then used some "glue" (fondant melted in a little hot water and stirred) and toothpicks to put them together.

Even with that, my little avatar guy had the same problem as your Count. When I stood it all together he sunk a bit too. I did like how it ended up better - kind of like his jeans were too baggy for him.

p.s. I use a lot of foam chunks when they're drying too - before and after assembling. Hunks from the craft store sheets and makeup wedges to hold a "pose" or shape.

Pat

grannys3angels Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:52am
post #12 of 12

Thank You so much TexasSugar and PattyT for your nice comments on the Count and for all the helpful tips and info. Patty your little guy is cute and I do like that look on him...it is just like what the kids wear these days, great job on him thumbs_up.gif

I'll have to print this whole thread out it has so helpful info and great tips from everyone.

Thanks again to all of you for your time, replys and helpful tips and information. I really do appreciate it and I am very thankful!

God Bless,
Sharon

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%