Pointers For Piping Chocolate?

Decorating By 3GCakes Updated 24 Oct 2008 , 6:29pm by 3GCakes

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:48pm
post #1 of 5

Hello....can anyone give me some pointers on piping chocolate like this? I am pretty good at piping most things...but there seems to be some "trick" to this. Do you think she used a pattern press...do you think you would use a parchment bag or a 1 tip?

http://www.hollyhockcakes.com/gallery/pages/17.html

I would appreciate it. Thanks!

4 replies
archanac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
archanac Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 5

It looks like the creator actually painted the chocolate scrolls on there.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 5

I'd say piped with a tiny tip and a lot of skill. Small paper cornets might be the best choice and when not in use keep them resting on a heating pad set to low so that the choc stays liquid. Piping chocolate is a little diffrent than RI or bc, so practice a bit first.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 5

I think those are piped because of the different wide widths and skinny see through stretched out lines too.

The big deal with anything chocolate is temperature temperature temperature. So you gotta keep your choco the right temp to cooperate enough with you and be somewhat consistent. Warmer and it's looser, cooler and it's thicker which for such a large surface--a balancing act for sure.

I mean it depends on the temperature of the room you're in too. Say you pause for a couple minutes--well everything has changed.

I keep a heating pad going covered with plastic. Or I'll put a plate on top of a sauce pan of warm water and keep my bags setting on there or microzap them a tid tad. That's why for me using parchment is my friend because when I set the bag down I fold the tip up because I can then later melt the contents, hold the fold shut and then squeeze the bag back and forth and get everything going again.

Umm, you can use that fudgey stuff too--it's a professional product it tastes like tootsie roll--you can add water and it's not near as temperature sensitive. Comes in 5 gallon buckets so probably just deal with straight chocolate--but I mean you could use dark choco ganache too.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 5

Wow...I didn't realize the chocolate would be so tempermental!! I am going to try the heating pad thing and use parchment corners when I practice. I'll try it with and without a tip.

Thanks for the help, ladies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%