Recipes Using Soda, Powder, Salt

Decorating By mom42ws Updated 24 Oct 2008 , 10:58pm by mom42ws

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:29pm
post #1 of 3

One of the things that I learned in a class I was taking was that if a recipe contained baking soda, baking powder and salt that these were good for making batter and refrigerating it because the leaveners would react once mixed but then again once it hit the oven. I guess because they would react twice they make good recipes for making ahead of time and using as you need it.

So my question to you all is, can anyone recommend a good recipe (or two) that contain all three ingredients? I have an excellent chocolate cake but am looking for others.

Thanks!
Ashley

2 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 3

Baking soda only reacts once. Once it's shot it's shot. If you look on your BP container it should say something like double acting. The first reaction is with moisture then the second is with heat. Salt isn't a leavener at all. salt tends to extract, and enhance the flavors an item would already have.

Mike

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 10:58pm
post #3 of 3

maybe i should have paid more attention in class??!! icon_smile.gif

i was thinking for some reason that if all 3 of those ingredients were present in a recipe that those would be the best recipes for making ahead of time and then refrigerating the remainder of the batter for use at a later time.

ashley

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%