How Do You Use Impression Mats

Decorating By CakesOnly Updated 29 Oct 2008 , 9:23pm by afterdinnerthoughts

CakesOnly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesOnly Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 5:41am
post #1 of 8

I have a couple of impression mats, but I can't seem to make them work right. I have tried using them on fondant covered cake and on buttercream. On fondant I can't get a good impression and on buttercream it sticks to the cake. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really love the look of the mats on cakes. I have seen so many beautiful cakes on this site. Help Please icon_cry.gif

7 replies
grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 7:23am
post #2 of 8

I can't be of much help on fondant...but, on BC let your icing crust, wait until the bc is crusted, press into the cake, I rub my hand (others use rollers) all over the impression until I am certain it is in there good. Pull away the mat, wipe it off, line up the design and press again on the next section.

Hope this helps,
God Bless,
Sharon

cakecookie6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecookie6 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:50am
post #3 of 8

Here is a link that tells how to use impression mats (texture mats) on gingerbread, buttercream, fondant, and chocolate: http://www.countrykitchensa.com/pdf_files/texture_sheets.pdf

cakecookie6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecookie6 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:55am
post #4 of 8

I looked again and the link didn't show impression mats on gingerbread, but it is easy. Roll out gingerbread (use a recipe that has no baking soda or powder so it keeps its shape), then, place impression mat over gingerbread and roll firmly over one time. Bake. Gingerbread recipe is very important. Let me know if you need a non-raising dough.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 8

When using it on BC, it helps to let the BC crust a bit and dust the impression mat with cornstarch so it doesn't stick.

CakesOnly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesOnly Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:56pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks everyone!

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 8

I dust mine with powdered sugar.

afterdinnerthoughts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afterdinnerthoughts Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 8

Can you use meringue BC with these sheets?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%