How Do You Inventory Your Stuff?

Business By EnjoyTheCake Updated 23 Oct 2008 , 2:13pm by 2xMiMi

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 11

I'm collecting all sorts of pans, tips, and other decorating supplies.

What system do you use to keep track of what tips and pans you have so that you don't over buy?

I'm thinking a notebook I hand write, or maybe a data base of some sort. Does anyone track these items?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

10 replies
-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 11

That's a great question! I've bought things to use and then later found duplicates I'd completely forgotten about - more in the way of packaging, cello bags, ribbon, that kind of thing - my tips are all together in a caddy and I only have a few pans so far so I have a fairly good mental list!

I think it would be a good idea to have a 'wish list' to carry around, so when you see what seems a good deal you can check to see if it something you actually need.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 11

dh made an excel program. Not only do I have the stuff I use myself, but also stuff I sell in the store.

cous2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cous2010 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 11

As of now, I don't keep track, but you mentioning the idea makes me think that I should start.

I think I'd just create a spread sheet in Excel, or a similar program. List items by category (pans, tips, bags...) and have a column for the ammount on hand, and maybe another for the price...

Just an idea. HTH.

EnjoyTheCake Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 11

I've considered creating a data base with access. I'm thinking any standard inventory template would work. I am still very curious how other people do it though. I have too many tips to keep them in one kit.

I'm trying to have enough tips that I can keep all my Course 1, Course 2, Course 3 etc tips in their own boxes so all I have to do is grab my box for the course and head out to teach. Knowing my inventory in it's totality would really help with that. I could maybe create the database to sort by course use as well. (starts pondering all the overwhelming technical possibilities.)

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 11

Hi Deb, I just noticed your ticker! Way to go!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 11

I'm glad I saw this thread .... I don't even have an inventory list and for insurance purposes, that is SUCH a bad thing!

I guess I know what I'm doing next week! icon_redface.gif

EnjoyTheCake Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 11:52pm
post #8 of 11

Thank you Chutzpah.

indydebi - I hadn't even considered the insurance aspect. I'm not a business, but I do have homeowners insurance. For insurance purposes, I'd need to know what books I had also. Some of those are nearly impossible to replace.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 12:09am
post #9 of 11

An inventory list is a really good idea. I have so much stuff just sitting in boxes that I forget half of its there. My MIL is a reader; she keeps a list in her purse of books she wants so she always remembers what to look for. That would never work for me though. I also need a good way to keep track of my ingredients. I always end up with too much flour and not enough sugar or I run out of filling and have to pay a gazillion dollars for it at the market nearby. Itâs so inefficient!

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 1:43pm
post #10 of 11

I don't have an inventory list as my caking is for hobby only, but I did organize all of my supplies a while back. All I can say is WOW, I have a lot of stuff. I have tons of tubs and containers to put my stuff in and wrote what I have and taped it to the front of the tub/container. That way I know how many bags of chocolate chips I have and how many cupcakes papers I have, etc... It's the closest thing I have to having an inventory list. Maybe I should do an excel sheet. That way I can just look on my computer instead of hunting down tubs.

2xMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2xMiMi Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 2:13pm
post #11 of 11

This is just a hobby so far -I have a listing in excel of pans, tips, cookie molds, books etc. so that I don't buy duplicates. I have tried to keep up with cake boards, colors but that is a little more difficult. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%