Snickers Cupcakes

Baking By Melvira Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 1:14pm by bobwonderbuns

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 1:54am
post #61 of 395

Aw, mj, you can bake 'em without liners you big wus!! icon_razz.gif

Alright, on to the questions...

Fiddle, I'm not sure if you're asking about the caramels or the cupcakes. Unfortunately I'm not sure how long it lasts because it's never lasted long enough to get stale! icon_lol.gif

Mj... one batch should cover a whole 2 dozen batch of cuppies (but you might want to pour it out a little thinner than I did). (And don't make any caramel apples!) I made a dozen caramel apples and covered a dozen cupcakes (thickly) and still have a little left.

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 2:32am
post #62 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Aw, mj, you can bake 'em without liners you big wus!! icon_razz.gif

Gag. Then scrub them. I don't like that part of baking! I am a super duper big wus about cleaning.

Melvira Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 2:36am
post #63 of 395

Hahahahaha!! I feel that same way! I despise scrubbing out the pans. That's why I love nut cups and liners! thumbs_up.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 3:07am
post #64 of 395

I was asking about the caramels ! You know that xmas gift thing. How far ahead can you make the caramels and keep them wrapped? Any dea ?

MrsLev557 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsLev557 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:49am
post #65 of 395

Fiddlesticks I can tell you I have made carmel my entire life with the same problem as Mel, they get eaten as soon as they come out. You can not control yourself, its one bite, then you go back for another. But, I can tell you the kind I make freeze well, the carmel I always made is with a heavy cream base not sweet condensed milk. We normally make such a big batch that we freeze some to snack on to remember Christmas. I took some out this summer from Christmas that I had hiding all the way in the back of the freezer and it tasted just like the 1st day. I wrapped them in plastic wrap and then in a freezer bag.

I hope this is helpful.... Shirl

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 12:08pm
post #66 of 395

Fiddlesticks - I made some last halloween (leftover from caramel apples) and due to a broken crown, couldn't devour it myself and at Thanksgiving it was still fine. I used a touch of pam (sprayed and then wiped off kind of) on my wrappers because I like my caramels on the soft side but don't like sticking wrappers! When I got the tooth fixed the end of November, I proceeded to eat them and they were good! Not quite freshly made tasting, but very good never the less! And my recipe is almost the same as the one Mel gave for these....

fiddlesticks Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 12:52pm
post #67 of 395

Well thanks for the reply you guys ! Something tells me these will be a welcome addition to my Xmas gift baskets ! Yahooo!!

fiddlesticks Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 7:15pm
post #68 of 395

Hey Mel The picture you posted on page 3 of the caramels , did you just cut them or put them in a candy mold to shape then ? Please ! How do you usually do them ?
Thanks !!

Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:10am
post #69 of 395

Hold on, gotta go see which picture you mean... got so much going on right now... my head is swollen!

Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:22am
post #70 of 395

Ok, those are just cut free hand. I don't normally use molds, but sometimes I will use cutters. Depends on how hard the caramel is. When it's harder, it's almost impossible to cut through with cutters. You have to use a sturdy knife.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:46am
post #71 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Fiddle, you know I love you! And Chass, even though you've gone to the dark side, you're still on my 'good' list for Christmas! icon_lol.gif You two are incorrigible, and I wouldn't have it any other way! {{{You Two}}}

But hey, yah, cupcake party at my house! (Hope y'all know how to plaster and do drywall! I have a few rooms to go! Hehehehe) (Don't worry, I also need a few to dote on the babies, first come, first serve!)

HAHAHAHAHA Lol..............when I checked the thread the other day, I didnt even see this, my eyes went straight to that evil pic you posted, lol........HAHAHA Fiddle, I live closer, so I'll get to the babies first!!! Have fun plastering!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:58am
post #72 of 395

Ahhh... that sounds like a race to me! thumbs_up.gif

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:11am
post #73 of 395

Mel, do you ever use those food scissors on them? I dont even know if they are a special kind of scissor, but I've seen people use them for different candies sometimes.

Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:47am
post #74 of 395

Like the ones you use to snip chicken? Yah, sometimes I use those.

fiddlesticks Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:23pm
post #75 of 395

Ok I got my new thermometer yesterday so I can make the caramels now !!!Im so excited to try them and also add them to a cuppy !

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:41pm
post #76 of 395

Let us know how it goes and post the pics too. icon_lol.gif

msgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msgirl Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 8:00pm
post #77 of 395

Thank you so much for sharing all this info. I reallly want to try these cupcakes.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:53pm
post #78 of 395

Mel -Can you tell me which "stage" I need to use to coat the apples? I always see way "drippy" apples b/c the caramel is too thin...just wanted to try to avoid that look! icon_smile.gif I like a nice THICK caramel covered apple! YUMMY!

TIA - my kids thank you also! They can't wait to make apples!

Brandie

Melvira Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:08pm
post #79 of 395

Hey Brandie, haven't bumped into you in a while!!

For these apples I took the caramel to about 243 degrees. It might have gotten up to 245 by the time I got it off the heat, you know how it will do that sometimes (jump a few degrees quickly). Anyway, at this temp it will coat the apple nicely but is still soft when you bite into it. It's not hard to eat. The important thing is to let it drip for just a few seconds before you put it on your paper or in the cup... let a little of the extra caramel drip off or it will pool up and pull off the other caramel. This applies especially if you are dipping in nuts, etc. because you don't want to lose a bunch of the caramel in the bowl of nuts!! thumbs_up.gif

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:17pm
post #80 of 395

Ok, I want one right now!!! icon_smile.gif Looking forward to trying these as well. Mel, thanks once again for another interesting combination.

danar217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danar217 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:18pm
post #81 of 395

Melvira - I love you! Even though you did almost make me lick the screen of my computer, I've been looking for a caramel apple recipe so you saved the day. Looks like I'm making cupcakes too now!

Melvira Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:53pm
post #82 of 395

Sweet! I'm a superhero! Hahahahaha!

BCo Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 5:52pm
post #83 of 395

Thanks Mel - I know, I haven't asked many questions lately or participated in too many threads!!! Not that I haven't been on here every day but I've just been sucking in all the info!! I'm going to try the cupcakes too - they look so yummy!!

Thanks again- and my daugther and son thank you too and I will definitely take some pics and post our apples when they are complete!

One more question - when you're doing your caramels to just eat - what sort of pan do you put them in to harden so they are a good height to cut into cubes?

thanks again for all the help and info! you are such a super help to us all! not to mention your yummy ideas seem to be endless!

Melvira Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:03pm
post #84 of 395

When I'm making caramel 'squares' so to speak, I just use a sheet pan with approximately a 1/2-3/4" side. I lightly spray it so the caramel doesn't stick, but not too heavy because you don't want it to be slimy! If I'm doing a whole batch, I think I use approx. an 11"x15"... I THINK... crud, I'm gonna feel bad if that's not right. But you can use any pan with sides. Essentially make it as deep as you want it. Just remember, the deeper (taller) it is, the harder it is to cut! thumbs_up.gif

BCo Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:22pm
post #85 of 395

Makes sense! Thanks - I just thought the size of your pieces looked about right for a nice piece of caramel - I didn't want them too thin - I think I will try out the apples first so I can get an idea of the amount of caramel it makes and then the next time I can guesstimate the size pan I'll need for the squares!

Thanks again!!!

Melvira Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 8:20pm
post #86 of 395

Yah, the size of the caramels in that pic are good because they are small enough that you can eat the whole thing, or if you want to be dainty, or savor it longer, it's easy to bite in half and enjoy in two bites. Oh man, I have a small bit of caramel left from the apples and cupcakes and I'm ready to go in there and eat it after talking about it so much!! thumbs_up.gif

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 9:17pm
post #87 of 395

Good lord, now I have to make ANOTHER thing for my holiday candy samplers. I wanted a caramel recipe, but I didn't. Ya know? LOL

The freaking cupcakes look AMAZING too. My SIL is obsessed w/ snickers, so... yeah. I guess I will be making those for her.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:02pm
post #88 of 395
Quote:
Quote:

Then cry because you now have a huge blister on your arm where a plop landed when it spit during the cooking process. Ow.

OMG you crack me UP!!!

I vote for Schnickahs - a little Boston accent thrown in there for ya.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:14pm
post #89 of 395

Okay - gonna add more complications to this thread...

I have to make 100 (yes, I said ONE HUNDRED) caramel apples for my cousin's wedding favors. Who the frig gave her THAT stupid idea???? Oh. Yeah. It was me. My bad. Annnyyyhooo......

So do I bite the bullet and try to make the Mel recipe for the caramel or just buy a block or caramel somewhere and be done with it? I am ordering Lady Apples,m so they will be smaller. Do I have to use a cupcake liner - it was not in my "vision" of adorable celo-wrapped apples tied with raffia and a little thank you note on each plate.

Could I dip them in sanding sugar to keep them from sticking instead? Her colors are brown and red - maybe double dip in a little bit of red chocolate on the bottom? Come on - help me hijack this thread so that you can all help me solve my wedding favor caramel apple favor dilemma!!

How about if I make Mel's cupcakes for you (I am NOT showing those to anyone here and will hog them all for myself - and maybe my Mom) and the rest of you can come here and make my apples for me? I have PLENTY of time - the wedding is not until Nov. 9th. YIKES!! That makes me think of another question - how far in advance can I do the apples?

What was I thinking? *whimper*

archanac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
archanac Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 2:18pm
post #90 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetResults

So do I bite the bullet and try to make the Mel recipe for the caramel or just buy a block or caramel somewhere and be done with it?

Do you have the time to make the Mel caramel right now? If so then I would probably use Mel's recipe and fridge it till you are ready to make the apples. If you don't have the time and it would be cheaper to use the blocks, then use the block.

Quote:
Quote:

I am ordering Lady Apples,m so they will be smaller. Do I have to use a cupcake liner - it was not in my "vision" of adorable celo-wrapped apples tied with raffia and a little thank you note on each plate.

Could I dip them in sanding sugar to keep them from sticking instead? Her colors are brown and red - maybe double dip in a little bit of red chocolate on the bottom?

Ok, I'm all in favor of using both chocolate and caramel. Why not cover the applies in caramel, and then coat the caramel completely with chocolate (you could use red chocolate to swizzle over the brown chocolate to incorporate the red/brown theme)? The chocolate coating will prevent the stickiness and you will still have the surprise caramel underneath.

Quote:
Quote:

That makes me think of another question - how far in advance can I do the apples?

Beats me. The Walmart caramel apples are sitting on the shelves forever (but they also taste like they've been around for ever). I would think that if you had them caramel/chocolate coated then they could sit in the fridge for about a week early. And then take them out on the day of the wedding and that will get the caramel soft and back to room temp.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%