What Is The Best Way To Get Deep Choc

Decorating By mommak Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 4:10pm by sarahnichole975

mommak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommak Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:26am
post #1 of 10

I need a deep dark choc brown bc frosting, is this possible without using cocoa? It doesn't have to have that choc flavor, just the look. Need the look for a volcano Thanks so much for your help!

9 replies
mommak Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:18am
post #2 of 10

Anyone? I was needing to know tonight..thanks

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:25am
post #3 of 10

I can't imagine that you can get a deep, dark chocolate brown color without cocoa. I've added a lot of brown to my BC before and it was just brown, not dark brown. You may be able to find it somewhere pre-colored. Sorry I can't be more help.

Pastry-Panda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastry-Panda Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:34am
post #4 of 10

Ganache.
It's very dark as long as you use dark chocolate. let it set up on the counter over night and frost away!

It's the only thing I know to give that deep brown color unless you are willing to pour in like four bottles of brown color paste!

Maybe you should add in some black color paste to your brown buttercream to help it get darker.

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:34am
post #5 of 10

You would have to add a WHOLE lot of color, and then I think you'll have to deal with a bad taste, staining, and poor icing consistency. If you have CK super brown, it works pretty good, but still you'll need a lot. The best way really would be to start with a chocolate base. Though I don't necessarily think you need to have a volcano too dark brown for effect.

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 3:00am
post #6 of 10

I must agree with the others. Why don't you want to add cocoa to the BC to help get the dark brown color? That's the only way I get a nice deep dark chocolate color...start with cocoa and then add my brown paste....you could also add some black to help darken it. You may not even need a lot of cocoa....add a table spoon at a time until you get a light brown color then add a drop of black and then start adding brown until you get your color....that might work. Good luck!

mommak Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 11:36am
post #7 of 10

Thanks for all the replies..and Trixy the only reason I was trying not to use cocoa is because I was out and wasn't able to get to the store. Just trying to make due with whatever I had around here. Plans have changed, heading to the store this morning for the cocoa. I learned my leason, ALWAYS have cocoa on hand icon_redface.gif

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:37pm
post #8 of 10

That's what a was thinking....I hate being out of cocoa icon_wink.gif

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:05pm
post #9 of 10

you can add hershey's chocolate syrup (for the liquid in you bc) to start and then add some black & brown food color gel...

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 4:10pm
post #10 of 10

UGH! I too have ran into the instance where I go to make a cake at night and realize I'm out of something I need. It's usually something simple too, like cocoa, or marshmallows for RKT, or the Rice Krispies for that matter. Hope your cake turns out fantastically!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%