Drying Gum Paste Quickly

Decorating By buttawhench Updated 23 Oct 2008 , 12:36am by cakedecor

buttawhench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttawhench Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all , got a last minute order!Argh! Only 3 days!
Does anyone know of a way to speed up the drying process in gum paste? I would like to make bow loops/ flowers.
Thanx.

10 replies
SouthernSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SouthernSugar Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 11

You can put them in a low oven (150 degrees) for a few hours. I have dried plenty of gumpaste pieces this way. It is low enough that it wont melt styrofoam either so you can use it to hold the pieces while they are drying.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 11

Use dry heat like a warming drawer, or food dehydrator. Using an oven is iffy--it has to be under 125 degrees--don't quote me on that--it has to be a low temp--somewhere around 125-ish.

buttawhench Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 11

icon_biggrin.gif Thanx a bunch!

-K8memphis Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 11

Yeah, but test that temperature thing on a scrap first--don't put your good stuff in there without testing.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 11

I don't even bother with heat, just put them in the oven with the light on and they dry real quick. The lights actually give off quite a bit of heat.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:01am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Use dry heat like a warming drawer, or food dehydrator. Using an oven is iffy--it has to be under 125 degrees--don't quote me on that--it has to be a low temp--somewhere around 125-ish.

I tired using my dehydrator once and the pieces started melting, not sure what I did wrong.

-K8memphis Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:08am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I tired using my dehydrator once and the pieces started melting, not sure what I did wrong.

I use my warming drawer on low or medium --stuff melts on high. I have friends who use food dehydrators--it all depends on the temperature and the content of your product. \\

Sorry that happened to yah.

buttawhench Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 12:28am
post #9 of 11

Ok here is the update. I tried the oven (very old) has a warm temp on the dial states 140 d. Had to turn the oven higher to get it on then turn down. Waited. My bow loops started melting. I have a gas oven don't know if that matters. Oh I also have a oven them. I want it to work so I will try again when I have time. Thanx again.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 12:30am
post #10 of 11

Did you put your bows in after you adjusted the temp. down? Got to hot to quick maybe?

cakedecor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedecor Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 12:36am
post #11 of 11

There is a product called Tylose. You can add it to your fondant and you will be amazed on how quickly it will make it harden. It is nice because you can just add this powder to what ever amount of fondant you are working with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%