Kid Coming Over To Decorate Cupcakes In 2 Hours, Help!

Decorating By ceshell Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 12:19am by stephaniescakenj

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 3

Hi friends! My four year old DD is having a playdate today, just one friend, but her playfriend suggested (this morning) that they decorate halloween cupcakes. Now, this is today! I am taking a quick look at the galleries and Halloween-cupcake posts but am scrambling to think of what kind of decorations four-year-olds can do when I don't have time to go shopping first!!

BTW they didn't mean this as some sort of "you decorate cakes so you figure it out" thing, I think they normally just buy boxed mix and tube frosting but of course I just can't abide by that LOL. But I'd love to think up clever decorations the kids can do here at my house with no additional supplies. No I don't have candy corn or black licorice on hand icon_sad.gif.

I have lots of fondant on hand but it would take me an eon to color it, and that's too messy to have kids color it (right?). I do have a small assortment of piping tips (I don't pipe!) so I think just whipping up some frosting and coloring it is probably the best way to go. I have seen the spiderwebs where you pipe on the circles and drag the toothpick through...but I don't know if 4-yo's can pipe circles onto tiny little cupcakes...can they pipe anything at all?

Help! Any suggestions within the next two hours would be HUGELY appreciated! I am off to clean my house LOL but I'll check back before they arrive.

2 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 3

I'm probably too late, but if you have white fondant on hand how about them making little ghost cut outs and then they can pipe a color for the eye holes.
Or just make up orange icing and then fill piping bags with a few different colors and let them create their own ideas and masterpieces. I do this with my kids every know and then.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:19am
post #3 of 3

I'm probably too late too but for next time you could use your white fondant, do some sort of ghost cutout or whatever it is and then let them paint the fondant with extract and luster dust. My daugthers made purses a few weeks ago with their friends and I made a bunch of colors up using strawberry extract and luster dust and let them paint away. they had a blast.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%