Syrup??

Decorating By myheartsdesire Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 4:15am by ailika

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:58pm
post #31 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by leannewinslow

I was told that syrup doesn't just add moisture, it helps the cake stay together when it is sliced, you don't get crumby bits falling off if the syrup was evenly distributed and nicely soaked through

hmmm... now you make me think to try it too... so if i'm going to spray a "syrup" on my choco cake, do i need to adjust the sugar that goes on my cake batter? it is stated here that "syrup" is boiled water & sugar, so it makes the cake a little more sweet?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:56pm
post #32 of 68

It doesn't really make the cake sweeter. And don't mess with the sugar in the batter. That's carefully matched to the ratio of flour and fat to create the cake. A wash is just simple Syrup - equal parts sugar and water, boiled then cooled. And in a pinch diluted clear corn syrup-- About 60% corn syrup and 40% water, shaken. Just eyeball it.

PattyLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyLen Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 8:04pm
post #33 of 68

Last month I baked a chocolate cake and accidently doubled the amount of cocoa that should have been used. The cake was really, really dry and not sweet enough. That simple syrup saved the day for me.

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 8:51pm
post #34 of 68
Quote:
Quote:

I've recently started using frecnh bc for the fillings in my cake too. I love it. it is so rich and the color inside the cake doesn't really matter anyway.

also it's a great way to use up all those yolks from making IMBC.

I recently did a choc cake with choc french bc as the filling, it was awesome.

I do too!! It's also easy to pipe with. The first time I tried it was in a fraiser torte that I made in school. It was a pistachio spongecake with raspberry cream filling, strawberries, French buttercream, a very thin layer of marzipan and tart glaze. I swear it melted in my mouth soooo good!! .........and of course we sprayed the spongecake with simple syrup and it was heavenly. It was the only cake I loved in my European cakes and Tortes class.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 11:21pm
post #35 of 68

From what I have always understood washes or syrups are more for scratch cakes, correct?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 11:34pm
post #36 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

From what I have always understood washes or syrups are more for scratch cakes, correct?

Well in the sense than genoise is boring and potentially dry without it yes it definitely needs simple syrup.

But washes or splashes can be used on any cake.

Dinny2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dinny2222 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:09am
post #37 of 68

so when do you spray this on your cake? I know it is a dumb question but I do not know whether to spray before baking or after and if after when cake is cooled? sorry I am confused...AND I so appreciate the professionals helping people like me

-K8memphis Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:19am
post #38 of 68

You bake your bake and level the cake then apply it. It's not exactly a spray though. It can be brushed on. But I use a katsup type bottle with a pointy lid with a hole in the top. So I just squirt it out on the top of the cake layer once around. Then ice it & assemble the cakes.

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 11:49am
post #39 of 68

I use a spray bottle once the syrup cools and spray it on. It can be used on box mixes as well. I know that whenever I did bake from box mixes I didn't really like some of the chocolate mixes so I would spray them with flavored simole syrup to give it a different taste and texture. It's a matter of preferance really. You don't need a lot and you can just refrigerate it for later use.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:29pm
post #40 of 68

OK Guys,
What would be your favorite liquor for a white cake? I've been wanting to try this & you guys have convinced me. I'd just like to know where to start & how much liquor should I use to start?
Thanks

leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:40pm
post #41 of 68

I just use plain or vailla flavored simple syrup.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:49pm
post #42 of 68

My default splash for white cake is Grand Marnier which is pricey. And I use rum a lot.

newnancy Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:59pm
post #43 of 68

Are you talking about a teaspoon, tablespoon?

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 1:42pm
post #44 of 68

I generally just use plain syrup as well. If I am making a mocha or hazelnut filling for a cake, I will flavor the syrups to match. As far as the amount, I just brush the entire surface fairly generously. I make sure that I see no dry spots on the top of the layer.

I keep plain syrup in my fridge so that I don't have to make it each and every time I make a cake. I will add other flavorings to a portion of this if I need something special, such as the mocha or hazelnut.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:00pm
post #45 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnancy

Are you talking about a teaspoon, tablespoon?

Make the simple syrup and add the flavor to taste. So if I had a half cup of syrup, I'd use a 2-3 tablespoons or a quarter cup of liqeuer--give or take. You gotta do it to taste.

But using Lorann oils you'd use much less because that stuff is so concentrated.

Leah, do you use like a tablespoon-ish of vanilla to a half cup of syrup?

There's just so many variables just add it little by little and taste it.

Niliquely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niliquely Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:49pm
post #46 of 68

I bake cakes using a mix (doctoring them up a bit). Do you think the syrup will go okay on that type of cake then? I am reading your posts and wanting to try it, but most of you are talking about homemade cakes, so I was wondering what it would be like on a box mix.

leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:19pm
post #47 of 68

Meh . . .I'm not big on measuring for this kind of thing. I keep both clear and regular vanilla in bottles with pour spouts. I just throw some in. I buy my vanilla by the gallon, so I've always got plenty.

newnancy Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 12:11am
post #48 of 68

Thanks leahs & k8memphis, I'm going to try this on my next cake, hopefully I can do one before too long.
Nancy

-K8memphis Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 12:26am
post #49 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niliquely

I bake cakes using a mix (doctoring them up a bit). Do you think the syrup will go okay on that type of cake then? I am reading your posts and wanting to try it, but most of you are talking about homemade cakes, so I was wondering what it would be like on a box mix.

Being box mix or mix of ingredients makes no difference in using the splash.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 11:18pm
post #50 of 68

Ok, this might be the silliest question in the world, and I should add that I am in no way a "legalist" but out of curiosity and the need to prove that I am right and my DH is not right... (he thinks I would fall under the lisencing for selling alcohol)

Once you add alcohol to the cake, it will not be baked off, therefore will have some sort of alcohol content, are there any new rules/regulations you fall under?

would it be ok for a child to eat the cake?

I know it's such a small amount but do you tell your customers there is alcohol in the cake?

-K8memphis Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 11:25pm
post #51 of 68

It's basically the same thing as vanilla--there's alcohol in there too.

I made a cake for my church (agh!!) and I boiled the alcohol out in the simple syrup.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 11:41pm
post #52 of 68

I cook with wine and I'm not liquor licensed. I'm not "serving" alcohol. And trust me, this was run past my attorney! Tell your husband he lost the bet!

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 11:43pm
post #53 of 68

thanks Debi, I think he usually assumes I will prove him wrong given enough time.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 11:56pm
post #54 of 68

Rate of alcohol burn off by preparation method:

http://tinyurl.com/2uteez

Alcohol substitutions in cooking:

http://tinyurl.com/5sdxwv

http://tinyurl.com/5vjbcv

HTH

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:43pm
post #55 of 68

k dumb question - do you spray/brush/coat the sides and bottom of the cake with the simple syrup as well, or only the top?

I'm really interested in trying this for petitfours, because they seem to dry out after a day or so - does anyone do this with petitfours?

and can you ice/decorate immediately after applying the simple syrup, or does it need time to marinate first?

leah_s Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:46pm
post #56 of 68

generally only the top. as soon as it soaks in, you can fill and stack.

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:06pm
post #57 of 68

Going back a few posts - the French buttercream that uses up all those egg yolks. Could you please, please forward that to me or tell me where it is. I've been searching and can't seem to find it.
Thanks - [email protected]

Dinny2222 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:43am
post #58 of 68

If I am going to torte a cake do I syrup each layer after cut or just the top of the cake before cutting?

-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:53am
post #59 of 68

All of them.

Dinny2222 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:57am
post #60 of 68

thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%