Jkalman - You're Such A Dear Person

Business By missmeg Updated 20 Oct 2008 , 9:31pm by FromScratch

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 35

I've got to give props for my homie, jkalman icon_biggrin.gif. She lives one town over from me, and came over both Saturday and Sunday afternoon to train me on how to do a topsy-turvey cake, as well as introduce me to a few new recipes, including Candy Clay. I think it's my new bestest friend icon_smile.gif.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, and I can't wait to post the pic next week

34 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 35

Oh gosh.. icon_redface.gif.. it was my pleasure Meg. I hope that your DD didn't eat that little cake I brought over on you.. icon_wink.gif. I'll have to bring her some chocolate dipped strawberries next time I come over. I can't wait to see your cake when you finish it. icon_smile.gif

IloveEmmaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IloveEmmaCakes Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 35

I just read this.. Is candy clay the same as gumpaste?
I've never used either.. I've always used fondant..
I did a search for candy clay on here and there's only 2 ingredients.. Corn Syrup and Candy Melts.. What kind of candy melts can that be?
Like white, milk or dark chocolate chips?

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 35

Wow.... how sweet is that! kudos jk thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
p.s. I am only a "few" towns away from you.. can you come and train me too?? icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:21pm
post #5 of 35

Aww How sweet!!!

Go ahead make your day huh??

>insert wildly clapping hands smilie face<

dolittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolittle Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 35

Missmeg, She is so sweet! She 's been helping me too.

Thank you Jkalman for all you do!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:23pm
post #7 of 35

hehehehe Laura.. just a few huh? icon_wink.gif

Candy clay (or chocolate clay or chocolate plastic or whatever you choose to call it) is made from chocolate and corn syrup. You can use candy melts too since they are chocolate-esque. You just warm up the chocolate and stir in your corn syrup and watch it turn into a ball of seized up cocolate. Then spread it on a sheet of plastic wrap and wrap it up and let it cool over night. It will become hard as a rock and then you break some off and knead it until it's pliable. You can use it to make just about anything.. you can even cover a cake with it if you want. It's nice because it just tastes like chocolate. It can be tricky to work with, but once you get used to it it's great stuff. It goes really soft if it gets too warm so you have to work in stages.

I wanted to add that it's not like gumpaste since it doesn't dry hard.. it stays softer and you can eat it much easier than you could gumpaste, but you can do a lot of what you can do with gumpaste with candy clay.. not everything though.

dolittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolittle Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:29pm
post #8 of 35

Hey I'm with Laura we're just a few towns over ! I can come to Laura's house . You can train 2 at one time ! icon_biggrin.gif

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 35

That's sweet. Jkalman, are you planning a trip to Canada anytime soon? It really is beautiful here! hee hee
Thanks for the candy clay info. I was clueless on that one.

missmeg Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:33pm
post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Oh gosh.. icon_redface.gif.. it was my pleasure Meg. I hope that your DD didn't eat that little cake I brought over on you.. icon_wink.gif. I'll have to bring her some chocolate dipped strawberries next time I come over. I can't wait to see your cake when you finish it. icon_smile.gif

Nope - and I was a good girl and didn't scarf it down the second you left, either icon_wink.gif. Dh and I will be sharing that little piece of scrumptiousness tonight after dinner.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:37pm
post #11 of 35

I just love how some on CC are so willing to help others, it takes precious time and now a days that's a great gift to give someone else. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif to Jkalman and all the others like her.

SusieHazCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusieHazCakes Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:16pm
post #12 of 35

Jeanne has this awesome topsy-turvy cake that I've always admired. I PM'd her once to ask if she minded if I tried to duplicate it (which I have yet to do). She was so nice and said, yes, of course, I could copy it and was so helpful by sending photos and instructions on how to carve it. She's da bomb!! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:23pm
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolittle

Hey I'm with Laura we're just a few towns over ! I can come to Laura's house . You can train 2 at one time ! icon_biggrin.gif

Perfect dolittle! I will even fix lunch icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 6:56pm
post #14 of 35

Hey jkalman,

I live on the other side of the country......do you want to pop on over to my house too! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif hee hee hee!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 6:59pm
post #15 of 35

'Course she's a dear.... she's my seester!!!

icon_wink.gif

IloveEmmaCakes Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 6:59pm
post #16 of 35

Hey Jkalman.. Can you stop by my house on your way to all the others.. It seems you'll be traveling all over the country anywho.. lol
I'm awaiting your visit icon_lol.gif

missmeg Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 7:21pm
post #17 of 35

Sorry Jeanne - didn't mean for you to gain all this notariety icon_lol.gif.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 7:23pm
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieHazCakes

Jeanne has this awesome topsy-turvy cake that I've always admired. I PM'd her once to ask if she minded if I tried to duplicate it (which I have yet to do). She was so nice and said, yes, of course, I could copy it and was so helpful by sending photos and instructions on how to carve it. She's da bomb!! icon_biggrin.gif

I absolutely LOVE this cake. It's so adorable!

mommy2djb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2djb Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 7:28pm
post #19 of 35

SusieHazCakes wrote:
Jeanne has this awesome topsy-turvy cake that I've always admired. I PM'd her once to ask if she minded if I tried to duplicate it (which I have yet to do). She was so nice and said, yes, of course, I could copy it and was so helpful by sending photos and instructions on how to carve it. She's da bomb!!

Oh I love this cake too! I was hoping to do something like it for my daughter's bday, but not sure I can. I've never done a topsy turvy cake, I have no idea even where to start!

JKalman has always been very helpful to me too when I've asked her questions. She's the best! icon_smile.gif

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 7:29pm
post #20 of 35

I love love love that topsy-turvy cake and would love to have the instructions on how to carve it. I have that cake in my favorites.

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 7:29pm
post #21 of 35

I haven't even read this thread, but I had to respond by saying that Jkalman is AWESOME!! So helpful and friendly!!

(thanks jkalman for the flowers)

FromScratch Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 7:36pm
post #22 of 35

icon_redface.gif

Wow.. I am blown away. I'm thrilled that I have been able to help so many people through this site. I tell you what.. if I win the lottery I will do a World-Wide cake help tour. icon_wink.gif

Also.. if you send me your e-mail address in a PM I would be more than happy to share my topsy-turvy know-how. Not that I am an expert or anything.

(and you know I love ya seester Chutzpah) icon_wink.gif

missmeg Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 7:38pm
post #23 of 35

Hey Jeanne - you promised me the recipe for the fondant (gumpaste? - can't remember) that you use. I found the candy clay, which I'll be using on my next cake icon_wink.gif. Got the order today from Foss Motors.

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 7:58pm
post #24 of 35

I echo the chorus of praise for jkalman! My first attempt at SMBC was a success due to your wonderful intsructions! I am curious about the candy clay. Do you have a recipe or do you just add enough corn syrup until the amount of chocolate seizes? I would like to try it and soon!

FromScratch Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 7:59pm
post #25 of 35

Oh yeah.. sorry Meg.. it was the gumpaste. You can find it here:

http://www.nicholaslodge.com/gumpaste.htm

I know you can get the Tylose at Eaton's.. maybe in Sommersworth too.

That's great that they ordered.. icon_smile.gif

IloveEmmaCakes Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 8:16pm
post #26 of 35

JKalman, I saw the recipe for gumpaste.. I've heard that you can use corn syrup in gumpaste also.. Is that in place of the Tylose?

I would like to use corn syrup if that's the case..

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 8:20pm
post #27 of 35

I'm chiming in - she is very helpful! Answered my questions about gumpaste flowers right away! Thanks again, JKalman!

FromScratch Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 8:30pm
post #28 of 35

ILoveEmmaCakes.. You wouldn't replace the tylose with corn syrup. The tylose is what gives the gumpaste it's stretch and drying ability. It's essentially what makes gumpaste gumpaste (tylose or gum trag or gum arabic). HTH's icon_smile.gif

IloveEmmaCakes Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 8:32pm
post #29 of 35

Ok thanks!! Can you buy that in your local grocery store?
I have to make some Friday for 2 cakes that I have this weekend..

I've always made stuff with fondant, So I figured I'd try gumpaste.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 8:43pm
post #30 of 35

What a gem to do that.

I like her cause she's another "weirdo" who doesn't like oreos. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%