Sugar Cookie Between Cake Layers

Decorating By suzie1962 Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 8:24am by fondantfrenzy

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:13pm
post #91 of 206

Oh no Thats not it at all ! Im sorry, yes ask they might order it for you?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 8:14pm
post #92 of 206

How long do you bake the cookie filling?

I just put a single pouch of BC sugar cookie mix in an 8" square pan and it took over 30 mins to bake (I think it's still underbaked, but I'm using it anyway - it's just a trial).

I was getting nervous because the pkg said 15 mins for large cookies -- though I realize there is a big difference between a large cookie and a pan cookie.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 9:02pm
post #93 of 206

I always split the pouch between two 8" rounds. Of course, the square has more area to cover, but it may still be a little thick. I just bake mine until they're golden brown around the edges (maybe 20 minutes?). Ive never timed it. I thought about it last night when I was making some, but I was so busy that it left my head about a 1/2 sec after it entered icon_smile.gif

Dinny2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dinny2222 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 10:04pm
post #94 of 206

What icing do you ladies like better the SMBC or the Bettercreme? I tried the Bettercreme (thank you soooo much Melvira) and loved loved loved it. I only used it for filling cupcakes though. Which of the two taste better? Which of the two is better for decorating a cake, scrolls, piping etc.? Thanks so much for any input

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 10:55pm
post #95 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassidyg

The possiblities seem endless!!!! I'm thinking choc. fudge cake with a peanut butter cookie, and chocolate icing, the top decorated with mini peanut butter cups...Happy Birthday to Me!!!!!!!!

I just made that exact cake today...I love it! I made my triple chocolate cake ....

1 DH Chocolate Fudge Cake mix
1 sm. box instant choco. pudding
1/4 c. oil
1 1/3 c. water
3 eggs
1/2 c. mini choco. chips

Mix and bake as directed on box. Makes 1 8 in. cake.

Anyway, it was the chocolate cake, Rich's Chocolate Bettercreme (used it straight from the carton), peanut butter cookie, Bettercream, and cake. I frosted the whole thing with the bettercream, topped it with chopped up peanut butter cups, and drizzled Hershey's chocolate syrup. Surprisingly enough, it didn't taste horribly sweet...it was perfect. It's so worth a try. thumbs_up.gif

Dinny2222 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 2:40am
post #96 of 206

What icing do you ladies like better the SMBC or the Bettercreme? I tried the Bettercreme (thank you soooo much Melvira) and loved loved loved it. I only used it for filling cupcakes though. Which of the two taste better? Which of the two is better for decorating a cake, scrolls, piping etc.? Thanks so much for any input

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 3:00am
post #97 of 206

I am honestly not a big fan of SMBC or IMBC, just because it's not what I'm used to. If I have to choose between that and Bettercreme, the Bettercreme is going to win without a fight! It's like Tyson taking on Joe Pesci!! icon_rolleyes.gificon_razz.gif

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 10:57am
post #98 of 206

Is Bettercreme available in Canada?? I might ask a local store to bring it in if it is readily available in other parts of the country!

I'm making my cookie & cake tonight. Thinking of 5 layers: chocolate, vanilla, chocolate chip cookie, chocolate, vanilla. Decorated in princesses for my 5 year old princess's birthday!! Her only request is that there are chocolate chips in her cake!! icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:01am
post #99 of 206

Some more answers to Dinny2222's question in this thread: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-607664.html

We tried sooo hard to convert Melvira to the MBC's, but we just couldn't do it!! icon_wink.gif

Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:08am
post #100 of 206

Ok, ok, I know... I'm terrible. I will tell you what I decided about it though... I decided it would be good if you rolled it into little balls like truffles and dipped them in chocolate... and it's not so bad right out of the bowl (both of these require being made with tons of almond flavoring) but I am not crazy about it on cake. Maybe on banana cake, because then it would taste more like banana bread with butter on it? Hehehe.

Dinny2222 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:32am
post #101 of 206

OK here is what I am thinking, bake 2 layer cake and torte. Then assemble like this:

cake
caramel filling
cake
bettercreme filling
cookie
bettercreme filling
cake
caramel filling
cake
ice the whole thing in bettercreme

what do you think???? Sound doable?

Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:58am
post #102 of 206

For the love of all that is holy... I wouldn't say 'doable' so much as 'must do-able'!!

Dinny2222 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:30am
post #103 of 206

Melvira, you are not only extremely helpful but you totally crack me up!

fiddlesticks Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:32pm
post #104 of 206

Dinny2222.. That sounds soooo good but wow that will be a tall cake ?

Dinny2222 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:16pm
post #105 of 206

Hmmmm I guess it would be. Do you think that would be a problem?

fiddlesticks Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:23pm
post #106 of 206

Not if I get a huge slice of it lOL! I dont think so not unless you dont need that many servings ! Its just that 1 cake on a cake board right ?

MacsMom Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:45pm
post #107 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue123

Anyway, it was the chocolate cake, Rich's Chocolate Bettercreme (used it straight from the carton), peanut butter cookie, Bettercream, and cake. I frosted the whole thing with the bettercream, topped it with chopped up peanut butter cups, and drizzled Hershey's chocolate syrup. Surprisingly enough, it didn't taste horribly sweet...it was perfect. It's so worth a try. thumbs_up.gif

Excuse me while I go get my mop to clean up the drool icon_surprised.gif ...

I just tried the sugar cookie and I must've overbaked it. I used regular BC between it and the cake and it's texture was exactly like the cake, so it just seemed as if I'd tossed one layer of yellow cake inside the chocolate cake.

It was a surprise for my neighbor's birthday (the freebies always get an experiment of some sort, lol) and I wasn't in the mood to dam and fill the layers, so I just smeared a thin layer of BC on each torte.

Next time I will use regular filling instead of BC and not use the sugar cookie. Since the PB-choc seems to be no-fail, I'm gonna try the oatmeal cookie inside a butter pecan cake next. (Not the spiced oatmeal - the plain oatmeal icon_razz.gif ).

Dinny2222 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:33pm
post #108 of 206

yes, one cake on cake board

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:33pm
post #109 of 206

this thread has got me thinking... has anybody tried a cookie cake? like layering cookies on top of each other with BC or whatever filling and then icing all of it with BC or covering with fondant? can the cookie "handle" it?

fiddlesticks Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:39pm
post #110 of 206

I have made the choc chip cookie ( large ) and layered it with creamcheese frosting/filling ! And let it ooze out over the edges and then add it on top to, then add some choc shavings but I did not ice the sides !

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:44pm
post #111 of 206

oh my... i wanna make the cookie cake now LOL

Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:49pm
post #112 of 206

Yes, cookie cakes are my favorite!! Mmmmmmm... don't get me started on that!!!

fiddlesticks Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:58pm
post #113 of 206

Oh ya.. Lets Get Mel started on the cookie cakes and get some good ideas ! LOL!!

Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:08pm
post #114 of 206

Oh sure... you know, my mystique has really taken a hit since I've been hanging out with you Fiddle! icon_lol.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:13pm
post #115 of 206

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

MacsMom Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 6:13pm
post #116 of 206

Okay... So I just convinced a customer to try the peanut butter cookie filling with chocolate cake...

To be CERTAIN, should I bake one package of peanut cookie mix in a 9 or 10" pan for about 20 minutes? LOL. I just don't want it to be too dry like the sugar cookie I baked in an 8" pan for 30 mins icon_rolleyes.gif

suzie1962 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzie1962 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 7:55pm
post #117 of 206

So I am trying this today for the first time. I made a two layer chocolate cake that I love and then I baked a peanut butter cookie. I made SMBC and added melted chocolate. I put a layer of cake, SMBC, cookie, SMBC and then cake. I so far have just crumb coated it and it is in the fridge to firm up a bit. After I finish frosting it I am going to top it with smashed up nutter butter peanut cookies to resemble sand and then I have made some molded chocolate seashells to decorate with. My mother loves the beach and this is a cake for her birthday. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it comes out good and that I did everything right. This cookie idea just sounds so interesting, but we'll see!!!

MacsMom Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 9:48pm
post #118 of 206

What size pan did you use and how long did you bake the cookie? icon_lol.gif

suzie1962 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 11:03pm
post #119 of 206

I used a 9" pan, which is what size the cake was. I should have trimmed a little off the sides of the cookie because it was a little difficult to frost around (showed through a bit). I think I baked the cookie for about 20 - 25 minutes and it was around 1" thick. The cake came out beautifully, we'll see how it tastes after dinner.

suzie1962 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:32pm
post #120 of 206

Well, we ate the cake last night and I don't think I liked it. I must have made the cookie too thick and cooked too long, because it was really hard to cut the cake. We had to basically saw pieces of it with a serrated knife. It was also too sweet, but that could have been from the Nutter Butter Peanut Butter cookies that I smashed up and used on top for sand. I'm not sure if I will try this again. Maybe the Betty Crocker cookie mix works better. I made a scratch peanut butter cookie, but like I said, it was too hard. I was thinking that the buttercream would have softened it up a bit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%