Pavlova Explotion!

Decorating By CCmomma Updated 29 Dec 2008 , 6:53pm by CCmomma

CCmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCmomma Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 21

I have a very dear friend here in the USA, but she is from Australia. She has been so good to me and my family this year and I want to do something nice for her. I want to make her pav for Christmas. So I did a trial run this past weekend and thought I did great. I used the Joy of Cooking recipe and it was nice and smooth in texture and beautifully shinny. I cooked it and it looked perfact. About 4" thick and just the right color. icon_razz.gif

When I went to turn it over, it exploded! icon_cry.gif I mean the shell that formed around it blew apart and the marshmelloy inside was only about 1.5" thick. It was tender but kind of dense yet tasted good and was smooth.

I need help to find out what went wrong!

20 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 21

I'm confused as to why you would turn it over? You should let the meringue cool completely before touching it, and there shouldn't be any "turning over" at all.

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 21

I have read that not a smidge of yolk can get into your whites. As well as any grease at all. Could either of these things have impacted you??? I know that when I have made meringues I don't think I beat my whites with my sugar enough between additions and the inside is not as it should be when they are done...

Magnum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magnum Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I'm confused as to why you would turn it over? You should let the meringue cool completely before touching it, and there shouldn't be any "turning over" at all.

I saw on a cooking show a while ago (nigella lawson i think), she turned the pavlova over once it had cooled and filled it with whipped cream and fruit. Her reasoning was that the centre of the pavlova is slightly soft so the cream will sink in while the crisp edge stays proud.

But then again i've never made one so i'm not sure icon_redface.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I saw on a cooking show a while ago (nigella lawson i think), she turned the pavlova over once it had cooled and filled it with whipped cream and fruit. Her reasoning was that the centre of the pavlova is slightly soft so the cream will sink in while the crisp edge stays proud.

But then again i've never made one so i'm not sure icon_redface.gif

Usually when I spread the meringue to be baked, I make it slightly lower in the center so that there is already a "well" baked into it to hold the fruit & cream... that's how i was taught to do it anyway. Although once a meringue is completely baked/dried it should be pretty sturdy and you should be able to handle it without being TOO careful. I suspect maybe it needed to bake a little longer, perhaps?

CelebrationCakery Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 21

I wanted to forward this recipe too...it has a lot of great reviews attached that might help...I know that the first time I made meringues I preheated the oven and then turned it off when the meringues went in...they sat on the cookie sheet overnight in the oven and they were perfect...I saw that is how someone in the reviews even recommended it be done...hmmm
Good Luck!!!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Pavlova/Detail.aspx

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:24pm
post #7 of 21

I'm with pinkziab.. I've never heard of flipping a pavlova. That there could have been your main issue. icon_smile.gif

You should cook it.. let it cool in the oven with the door ajar.. top with whipped cream and fruit and serve immediately.

Did your recipe say to flip it?

CelebrationCakery Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:28pm
post #8 of 21

OK....now I am going to make one.........

CelebrationCakery Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:29pm
post #9 of 21

OK....now I am going to make one.........

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:45pm
post #10 of 21

LOL.. I want to make one too.

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 9:58pm
post #11 of 21

I make these all the time almost every Sunday for dessert and I cannot for the life of me imagine why you turned it over either.

If it was meringue I would say that would have worked but not with pavlova and it's soft centre.

I spread mine into a circle and just bake and then decorate.

If you want a pavlova that has high sides so that you can fill the centre you can just pipe the mixture around the edge of your base circle before you bake it.

chezz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chezz Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 6:03am
post #12 of 21

I agree, you don't turn your pavlova over. Once you have cooked the pav, just turn off the oven, leave the door ajar and let the pav cool in the oven.
The middle sinks conveniently to fill with the cream and fruit.
This would have to be the best and easiest dessert. Over here in Australia you can buy pavlovas already made from the supermarket, you just have to decorate them. I find these ones are usually higher than the home made ones and don't sink in the middle. Not sure if you can buy them in the US.

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 6:39am
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezz

Over here in Australia you can buy pavlovas already made from the supermarket, you just have to decorate them. I find these ones are usually higher than the home made ones and don't sink in the middle. Not sure if you can buy them in the US.

You can get these here in New Zealand too. I've never bought them as they are sooo easy to make and the bought ones are never as good. Funny - when you go to a restaurant in NZ and order pav you usually get the supermarket ones which are always a disappointment - considering they were supposedly invented in New Zealand you would think our chefs would have mastered them!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 6:44am
post #14 of 21

This is so funny, I made my first Pavlova this past weekend for our poker night. I wanted something different than reg. cake, so I stubbled upon Pav. Never heard of it before that. Mine baked up fine, soft center crisp outside~I also made a well in the center before baking. I lightly greased the parchment prior to baking and that worked well too, I read that some crumple the parchment and that works for them. I was scared to move it to the dessert plate, I thought it would crumble, but it was ok. Served with strawberries & fresh whipped cream. Yumm...gone in minutes. Even my husband who hates cake loved it. Flipping it? Well, don't worry about it. Chalk it up to experience and make another.

CCmomma Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:38pm
post #15 of 21

OK well thank you for your sujestions. I will make the well and not flip it. It really was yummy and for a dessert, one of the healthest I have ever played with. I was just so disappoited when the insides ended up half of what the shell cooked up to be. I found out later that my husband had opened the door while it was baking and one of my kids snictch a finger full of batter while my back was turned. Would a finger in the batter be enougth oil to make it fall?

Even if it falls like that, it would make a great center of a grahm cracker pie.

I wil let you know how my next attempt turns out.

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:44pm
post #16 of 21

I also find that fresh eggs will make it fall, could it have been that? They need to be at least 3 or 4 days old.

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 7:03pm
post #17 of 21

Next time you kill your pavlova icon_lol.gif turn it into an Eaton Mess - break up into smaller pieces of meringue, mix with whipped cream and strawberries / raspberries ( i think that's all icon_redface.gif ) - it's a dessert in it's own right over here thumbs_up.gif

chezz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chezz Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 9:04pm
post #18 of 21

yummy, I love Eaton mess too.

Your pav is meant to sink in the middle, so don't worry too much if it does. You might not have whipped the egg whites quite enough or incorporated the sugar in totally. Also, have the egg whites at room temperature, that helps get the volume into them. Use metal spoon to fold in cornflour etc, make sure bowl and other utensils you use are TOTALLY free of any grease etc as this stops the eggs from whipping up fully. But, even if it doesn't turn out to utter perfection it is still the yummiest thing to eat, especially when you top with whipped cream, strawberries and passionfruit pulp. Oh, gee, I'm putting weight on talking about it!!

Chez

joshalow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joshalow Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 2:24am
post #19 of 21

I love to make pavlova! It's my dh's favorite dessert. The recipe I got from a lady from N.Zealand said to turn the pavlova part way through baking. I tried it once- never again. I never bother to turn it. I've gone a bit "American" with it, when I am in a rush, and use Cool Whip on top, with berries. It's such a great dessert- and so easy to make!

CCmomma Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 4:14pm
post #20 of 21

OK, I am begining to think I am cursed witht his desert! This time I went better as in the insides did not fall, but the texture was more rubbery and I could not get it off the foil.

Did I not cook it long enough?

I heated the over to 350, turned it off and put the pav in until the oven was completely cool. I was a little cold last night in the house. I thought maybe the oven cooled too quick.

CCmomma Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 6:53pm
post #21 of 21

I just wanted to thank each of you for your advise. She loved her Christmas present and nearly ate the whole thing in one sitting. My family liked it so much too, with all the practice pav's I made, that it is now a requested confection. Thank you for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%