Freeze Pumpkin Pie??

Decorating By absijails Updated 23 Nov 2014 , 2:59pm by KLCCrafts

absijails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absijails Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 8

A friend has asked me to bake her a pie for Thanksgiving, but I'm traveling starting Nov. 11. She asked if I could still bake it for her and she freeze it. Can I??

TIA!!!

7 replies
barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 8

Yes, I freeze them all the time. I just wrap them in Saran Wrap and then foil. I've never had a problem.

Besides, we get them in frozen at Krogers all the time.

Barb

absijails Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks, Barb. How do you usually defrost them so the crust doesn't get soggy?

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 1:41am
post #4 of 8

Just sit them out at room temp with no lid on them (or wrap) let the moisture evaporate, not let the condensation settle on the pie.

Barb

HappyValley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyValley Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 1:46am
post #5 of 8

My MIL always freezes them.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 1:48am
post #6 of 8

after defrosting she can also pop it back in the oven for a few minutes to crisp the crust just a touch.

absijails Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you, EVERYONE!
She is going to be so happy. And I'm glad to be able to do something for her because she watched my toddler while my son was being born. I feel like I can't thank her enough.

KLCCrafts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KLCCrafts Posted 23 Nov 2014 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbaranoel 

Just sit them out at room temp with no lid on them (or wrap) let the moisture evaporate, not let the condensation settle on the pie.

Barb

Can anyone else vouch for this method of thawing a frozen pumpkin pie?  I was expecting it would be like cake where you keep it tightly wrapped until after it's fully thawed.  Which is better?  Any other tips on freezing? (I'm making my first pumpkin pie from scratch and also have two B-day cakes to bring so I'm trying to work ahead.)

Thanks for any info on this off topic question which hopefully is helpful for others this week too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%