Wire For "flying" Fondant Things??

Decorating By Kay_NL Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 7:44pm by PinkZiab

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 13

What type of wire do I use to make fondant figures stick up in the air? I'm making a Halloween cake and want some flying ghosts and bats, so the wire has to support that weight!

Thanks!!

12 replies
mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 13

I always use 12 gauge floral wire, put a coffee stirrer in the cake and put the wire into that, I never knew if the wire itself was ok to put directly in the cake so I felt safer with the stirrer in the cake and not the wire. Have fun with your cake!!

sweeteecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteecakes Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 13

I want to do the same thing for my daughters birthday. Check this out:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/help-with-putting-fondant-on-ftopicp-6126028.html#6126028

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 13

Thanks for the post sweeteecakes

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 13

I have also use a 12 gauge floral wire. I did it withough the stir stick and learned from that mistake. The wire will cut through the cake on it own. the stir stick stops it. I found a post on this AFTER i had already made it and had issues. Lesson learned.
Good luck

Kay_NL Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 13

So you insert the stir stick and wire how far? About 2-3 inches??

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:31pm
post #7 of 13

Stir stick- I didn't even think about that!! I guess the weight of the objects would cause the wire to puch through!!

Thanks!!! thumbs_up.gif

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:38pm
post #8 of 13

Coffee stirs!! Wow I had not thought of that either!!!
I usually wait till the very last minute to stick the flying things into the cake because they always cut through!!

Great advice!!!

Thanks for asking for us!!

Kay_NL Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:52pm
post #9 of 13

I think I will mount the wire into the stir stick with either melted chocolate or royal icing. That way when the wire is pulled out, out comes the stick too... The less I have to tell people when the pick up a cake the better, yes I'm a scatterbrain. LOL!

Thanks for the help and great ideas!!

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:56pm
post #10 of 13

I was worried about the stirrer stick, too.

Has anyone had it stay in the cake after they pull the wire out? I wouldn't want anyone to find a plastic stirrer in their piece and wonder how it got there icon_surprised.gif

Does it just fit in there tight?

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 7:09pm
post #11 of 13

Yes, the stir stick will stay in the cake if not carefully removed with the wire. I have started always gluing my wires into the stir sticks with candy melts. That way, when the wire is removed, out comes the stirrer!

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 7:15pm
post #12 of 13

Yes, the stir stick will stay in the cake if not carefully removed with the wire. I have started always gluing my wires into the stir sticks with candy melts. That way, when the wire is removed, out comes the stirrer!

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 7:44pm
post #13 of 13

I stick my wires directly into the cake--never use straws or stirrers or anything... I've never had any issues with them falling out or cutting through the cake... I do, however, only decorate in fondant, so that probably makes a difference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%