Fake Wedding Cake

Decorating By aswartzw Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 11:20am by indydebi

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 12:23pm
post #1 of 5

So I thought you CCers might find this interesting. We all know how adamantly we feel that fake cakes are wrong and the media keeps spreading false rumors on how much cheaper it is.

Well, I've been hanging around on the knot wedding boards (prepping for my wedding icon_wink.gif ) and ran across someone posting about if they should do it.

Crazy enough, the majority of posters told the OP that it's not cheaper. Obviously, the word is getting around to brides regardless of what the media incorrectly informs them. thumbs_up.gif

And yes, I did put in my advice. LOL

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:07pm
post #2 of 5

Well All Right!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

My health inspector was in last week and he was asking about fake cakes, and was VERY surprised when I told him they are not cheaper .. so I went down the list of why they aren't.

kerrbear0924 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerrbear0924 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:05am
post #3 of 5

I'm sort of new with wedding cake decorating, i've done 3..mine and family. So i am curious why the fake wedding cakes aren't cheaper. I was just wondering b/c where i work when we have catered weddings they offer sheetcakes so the couples could get fake cakes or small ones. Though the price for a full sheet cake is $30...so that comes out to like 50 cents a piece. Which is definitly cheaper.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:51am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrbear0924

I'm sort of new with wedding cake decorating, i've done 3..mine and family. So i am curious why the fake wedding cakes aren't cheaper. I was just wondering b/c where i work when we have catered weddings they offer sheetcakes so the couples could get fake cakes or small ones. Though the price for a full sheet cake is $30...so that comes out to like 50 cents a piece. Which is definitly cheaper.

The reason fake wedding cakes are not cheaper is because the actual cake is only a very small portion of the cost and labor that goes into the cake. Most of the expense of a custom cake comes from the time and labor it takes to design and decorate it, and it takes just as long to decorate styrofoam as it does devil's food. The only time a fake cake is cheaper is if you find a place that rents out already decorated models that must be returned--You usually cannot get a custom design and many times these rentals show their wear if the rental company is not vigilant with upkeep and repairs to the dummies as they are returned.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 11:20am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrbear0924

I dont' sell sheets for 50 cents a serving. I've actually run the actual numbers on my FAQ page so brides can see how they will spend more for fake+cake.

Also, part of it is that fake cakes are NOT next-to-free, like the wedding magzs like to imply.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%