Sugarshacks Buttercream Icing?

Decorating By Suewillo Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 1:54pm by ziggytarheel

Suewillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suewillo Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:43am
post #1 of 7

Can I use butter in place of the shortening to make this icing? I am not a fan of the shortening and thought unsalted butter would work, but am not sure and if I have to change the recipe to use butter. Let me know if anyone has done this and if it worked?
Thanks for the help

6 replies
Suewillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suewillo Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:16am
post #2 of 7

Really would like to know the answer to this question anyone??

BethG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethG Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:38am
post #3 of 7

I don't know about changing the butter for the shortening.. But if you use butter it will have to stay refrigerated and shortening does not.

MOBOGAL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MOBOGAL Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 7

I've made Sugarshack's recipe with 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening and it works out great! Tastes wonderful too. You may need to adjust the liquid a little bit, but that's the only difference I've found. For the butter, I do half salted and half unsalted (like the buttercream dream recipe). I don't think I'd recommend doing all butter with her recipe just because it won't be quite as stable as with 1/2 and 1/2. With butter, this recipe can sit out at RT for a few days, but long term storage should be in the fridge. Hope that helps!

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 7

I have also used 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening and loved the taste and texture. All butter may make it to soft not sure.

bellabiaggio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellabiaggio Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:43pm
post #6 of 7

Please remember too, that butter can make your icing a little yellow, not pure white. So if you add color, it may be affected and if you are looking for pure white, add a little bright white color.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethG

I don't know about changing the butter for the shortening.. But if you use butter it will have to stay refrigerated and shortening does not.

There are many threads around here explaining why this isn't true as the amount of sugar in the icing serves as a preservative. I rarely use shortening, so in my experience, I can say I have also found that to be true. I can testify, however, to the lower melting point of butter. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%