Red Buttercream?

Decorating By Wittis Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 12:32am by sugarycreations

Wittis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wittis Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 11:22pm
post #1 of 9

Hi there, I am trying to get a red buttercream for a texas flag cake. I can't seem to get the shade I'm looking for. Do any of you have some advice?

Thanks

8 replies
Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 9

I've made red bc for a few different Elmo cakes. The best way that I know how is to use 2 or 3 different kinds of red and use a LOT of coloring. Then if you can let it rest overnight it will darken up for you or even if you can wait an hour or so. Seemed to me like it would darken a little over time. Good luck. Not necessarily an easy feat! icon_lol.gif

BabyBear3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyBear3 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:30am
post #3 of 9

I have also heard people say to try to make it as pink as you can and then add the red. I have not yet tried that but they say it works!! I think they say use less red because of the taste!

GOOD LUCK!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:40am
post #4 of 9

Definately start with pink, yellow OR orange before adding your red. If you have any, use a color that is 'super red'.
If your item would be o.k. flavored you can add about 1/4 tsp UNsweetened KoolAid powder alsoicon_smile.gif This *must* be done the night before so the color has enough time to develope.

topaz176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
topaz176 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:52am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle104

I've made red bc for a few different Elmo cakes. The best way that I know how is to use 2 or 3 different kinds of red and use a LOT of coloring. Then if you can let it rest overnight it will darken up for you or even if you can wait an hour or so. Seemed to me like it would darken a little over time. Good luck. Not necessarily an easy feat! icon_lol.gif

I totally agree !
You have to leave it rest.
I did a 3 cakes for an HIV/aids campaign and it was not an easy task.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:58am
post #6 of 9

When you can get some Americolor Red, once you do you'll never need anything else. NO TASTE and the longer it sits the darker it gets, the Black from them is the same way. That's the only company that I will get Red or Black from ever again. I LOVE AMERICOLOR RED AND BLACK!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

I wanted to add a little goes a long way and the best place that has larger bottles for less money is www.intotheovencom also globalsugarart but I don't think they have the large bottles, both companies have GREAT delivery service.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:05am
post #7 of 9

use americolor super red gel and make the buttercream pink or orange first as a base. That way you don't need a TON of red, and you won't have that paste taste...don't use wilton it will have a terrible paste taste to it....does darken as it sits...

Wittis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wittis Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 9:29pm
post #8 of 9

Thank You for all the great advice! I will have to get the Americolor later. I ended up getting a pink powder and super red powder and liquid, because that's what the supply store here carries. I hope powder is ok. I've heard alot of people say they like the powder. I guess the only way I'll learn is to do it, even if I make a mistake.

As they say on "Meet The Robinsons", keep moving forward! icon_biggrin.gif

sugarycreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarycreations Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:32am
post #9 of 9

I wish I had known earlier today to start with pink when I was mixing the icing for my devil's head. That is the sound of me filing that tidbit of information away for future use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%